Gunsmith repair work, general cost

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
mashed68
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Gunsmith repair work, general cost

Post by mashed68 »

I've got a starBM that fails to extract at least 50% of the time. This is even after new recoil and extractor springs and a new extractor, and with several different mags and ammo. At this point it needs someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.
My question is what do gunsmiths normally run price wise? Its a cheap gun, I don't want to spend $300 fixing a $300 gun.

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Gunsmith repair work, general cost

Post by QuietM4 »

You have already done most of what a gunsmith would try first...if any of that didn't fix it then it could just be you...are you broken? No offense implied...I've just seen so many people say that their gun "doesn't work", when it's really the shooter who doesn't work. Are you holding it firmly, proper shooting grip, etc? You've already tried different mags and ammo...so there aren't any simple fixes left to explore.

Short of polishing the feed ramp, ensuring the barrel is properly fitted, and some other detailed work...it could get relatively expensive to the firearms value.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I suspect it is the gun, not the shooter. A properly designed gun should work no matter who is shooting it. I suppose it is possible your support hand thumb is rubbing the slide, and slowing it just enough to fail to extract. Simple test: shoot it one-handed. If it works one-handed, that's a sign that your support hand thumb is rubbing.
Try cleaning the hell out of the chamber, to be sure there is no built-up carbon. (If there is, it will be visible.)
mashed68

Post by mashed68 »

Yes, I'm sure its not me.
I have shot at least 4 other starBM's without issues.
Any recommendations for an east valley smith?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

mashed68 wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 4:57 pm Yes, I'm sure its not me.
If you've got duplicates of that gun, try swapping parts one at at time and see if the malfunction stays the same. I've done that with some of my stuff, sometimes it's something simple like a buffer spring works in one gun and causes bolt bounce in another.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I wish you needed a west valley smith
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

AJI Sporting Goods in Apache Junction is worth a call((480) 984-8616) I think they have a smith or there is one in the same lot sort of behind gun store.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

the star units do have a finicky extractor set up, may have to adjust, file, cuss, hammer it a few times, lol.

a smith can probably fix in a short time, good luck, wished i had someone to recommend.
rj
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Also could try filming yourself shooting in slow motion until you see the malfunction.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

There is a gunsmith at C2 Tactical, no personal experience, but its east valley Warner and I10.

I have a bunch of Star Pistols and have a friend that's a gunsmith that has more than me. I will ask him if he has any ideas.

I have a Megastar .45 that had similar issues, i know its a totally different design, but the extractor is similar. The issue i had was the extractor pocket was dirty not allowing the extractor to move freely. After a complete slide disassembly and clean its 100%.

Have you removed the mag disconnect safety from the BM. Maybe try shooting single shots with no mag and see if the issue is still there. Might eliminate a mag issue.

The ejector is fixed in the frame towards the rear of the gun. If its bent, short or otherwise damaged it could add to an issue.

Is the chamber area of the barrel good and clean, maybe take some flitz and a cloth on a cleaning rod and hand polish the chamber and feed ramp a bit.

If you look on line there are a lot of threads about this so there is some common issue.

If you changed the extractor it may need to be hand fitted. I know 1911s, P35's etc cant just change an extractor without fitting. Many parts numrich sells are used so you may have replaced a used extractor with another used extractor. Just brainstorming.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Another suggestion and one you have likely already done, but completely disassemble the mags clean them inside and out to make sure nothing is impeding the follower during the extraction cycle. Does this happen with every mag you have or do you only have one mag?
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

My Gunsmith/Star Collector friend offers the following advice. "I too have had issues with extraction on Star BM's i have owned. Try putting in a stronger extractor spring, possibly nest a smaller spring inside the existing one or do the AR-15 extractor spring rubber core trick." OK last post on this subject lol.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Not east valley, but literally JUST south of the I-10, so easy to get to. They seem to have experience with most anything that goes bang...and I 'think' they even have a Star for sale.....

Stoney Mountain Gun & Ammo is located at 835 N 43rd Ave. Suite 110 Phoenix, AZ 85009 You can reach us via phone 602-237-3117
Comanchero

Post by Comanchero »

This post is older, and hopefully you have it worked out by now. If not, try a new recoil spring. Slide may be coming back too soon, trying to pull the case out of the chamber while it is still expanded. Extractor pops over the rim and doesn’t pull it out.
Worth a try.
mashed68

Post by mashed68 »

Comanchero wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:24 am This post is older, and hopefully you have it worked out by now. If not, try a new recoil spring. Slide may be coming back too soon, trying to pull the case out of the chamber while it is still expanded. Extractor pops over the rim and doesn’t pull it out.
Worth a try.
Yeah, it has new recoil and extractor springs as well as a new extractor.
Its been cleaned and lubed.
Its ran several different mags that work fine in other star's.
Its tried several types of brass and even some steel case ammo.

I appreciate everyone's advice and ideas!