Palmetto State Armory

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Palmetto State Armory

Post by rockbronco »

Never had an issue with their stuff. Ive known several people with complete rifles that are problem free and they shoot just fine. Ive had lowers from them but never a an upper until last year but everything has always been good. What I have noticed on the lowers is font type and sizing changes. I like the stripped receivers over anything else and of the 3 I have they are all slightly different on the text size and font style. Minor detail that does not affect anything else but something Ive noticed. The finish has always been good too, much better then the poverty pony lowers Ive got.

I suggest watching for deals tho, prices change often and sometimes daily. I have noticed they will raise the price to put a "free shipping" promo on on item that ends up equaling the lower price with shipping but thats not always the case. Just be mindful of watching the prices.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

My $650 PSA rifles shoots just like my $3,000 Noveske. Not the same fit and finish as the Noveske, but it puts holes in paper just as well.

A friend had a small issue with a PSA AK-47, but they made it right quickly and easily.
nrs

Post by nrs »

I have bought many items from PSA with all good results, from full rifles/pistols to uppers, lowers and parts kits. All have fit together well. Haven't had to send anything back yet. When you shop on their site, be aware that they can sell nearly the same product many different ways and the prices differ greatly sometimes. Fun to search and piece together what you want though.
G34

Post by G34 »

PSA is poor quality and not very consistent. to many that don't know the difference or need the extra attention to detail won't need anything more then what PSA has to offer. i wouldn't buy anything from them or customers that have me do work for them.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I've had some PSA AR's that I've built over the years and have kept a few. They do have varying degrees of quality levels in their stuff. For example, they have AR barrels ranging from their cheapie "Freedom" lineup to chrome lined machine gun steel barrels made by FN. It just depends on what you want to pay.

Of all the stuff I've ordered, the few times I've had a problem with an order they corrected it fairly quickly although email response was sometimes slow in the past. I really haven't bought much recently as in the last couple of years.
Slater

Post by Slater »

I know that on many of their rifles they offer chrome-lined barrels or nitrided (Melonite) treated. Chrome is superior (I believe) but for the average weekend shooter nitride is probably good to go.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

Slater wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:22 pm ... to "Avoid all PSA products"...
I'm pretty sure most of the negatives about PSA are to help justify the overly expensive boutique rifle they paid too much for.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Brand snobs may not like PSA. The, if I had to go to war with one, crowd may pick a pet brand.

Their warranty dept is Great when needed. I have only had issues with small parts they source from elsewhere....just like everyone else has to at times of high demand. I'm talking a roll pin out of spec or safety selector detent pin out of spec kinda thing.

Bought at least a dozen plus rifles or uppers or lowers and never had an issue. The important parts like BCG are always proper steel tested staked etc. If you buy their CHF stuff the barrels are made by FN. The other stuff is as good as any manufacturer when comparing Like products.

Never had one not go bang throw rounds sideways or bad accuracy.

I'm not even sure of Colt stuff anymore regarding its legacy quality versus now. If I were going to pick a rifle for its higher end parts I would save money by getting a PSA CHF upper half with a tool craft bolt and a lower and be just as happy as I would with a Colt or FN and pay half as much.

The simple fact is there is no mystery about the AR. It's a legacy rifle that everyone knows what its issues were and they were fixed or worked thru decades ago.

In addition low end parts assembler companies are pretty much gone due to putting out inferior products.

We live in a time of CNC machines. These companies all use the same data packets to program the machines. They all get forgings from the same few places They all get parts from the same few places. The industry is distilled into decent quality no matter where you go depending on the choices you make when buying. The only variation is really batch size of quality control checks and tooling spec checks. Companies that stretch that dont last.

A company like PSA has choices. Buy the right quality BCG, which even their lowest priced ones are. Get the barrel you want and you are good to go. Why spend 4 times as much for a name Brand that is like quality?
Last edited by Crippledtrigger on May 27th, 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

mtptwo wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:19 am
I'm pretty sure most of the negatives about PSA are to help justify the overly expensive boutique rifle they paid too much for.
Yep
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

mtptwo wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:19 am
Agree.
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

I've ordered AR lowers, BCGs and barrels from PSA in the past and never had a problem with them. I wanted to build an AR in .22lr. Didn't want to use a conversion kit. PSA had a barrel and BCG in .22lr. Ordered the barrel, BCG, and a lower from them for the build. The rifle runs smooth, is accurate, and have had no problems with it. Good products at a great price and they stand behind what they sell. One of my go to companies for parts.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Crippledtrigger wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:31 am Brand snobs may not like PSA. The, if I had to go to war with one, crowd may pick a pet brand.

Their warranty dept is Great when needed. I have only had issues with small parts they source from elsewhere....just like everyone else has to at times of high demand. I'm talking a roll pin out of spec or safety selector detent pin out of spec kinda thing.

Bought at least a dozen plus rifles or uppers or lowers and never had an issue. The important parts like BCG are always proper steel tested staked etc. If you buy their CHF stuff the barrels are made by FN. The other stuff is as good as any manufacturer when comparing Like products.

Never had one not go bang throw rounds sideways or bad accuracy.

I'm not even sure of Colt stuff anymore regarding its legacy quality versus now. If I were going to pick a rifle for its higher end parts I would save money by getting a PSA CHF upper half with a tool craft bolt and a lower and be just as happy as I would with a Colt or FN and pay half as much.

The simple fact is there is no mystery about the AR. It's a legacy rifle that everyone knows what its issues were and they were fixed or worked thru decades ago.

In addition low end parts assembler companies are pretty much gone due to putting out inferior products.

We live in a time of CNC machines. These companies all use the same data packets to program the machines. They all get forgings from the same few places They all get parts from the same few places. The industry is distilled into decent quality no matter where you go depending on the choices you make when buying. The only variation is really batch size of quality control checks and tooling spec checks. Companies that stretch that dont last.

A company like PSA has choices. Buy the right quality BCG, which even their lowest priced ones are. Get the barrel you want and you are good to go. Why spend 4 times as much for a name Brand that is like quality?
This x10...
bldr60

Post by bldr60 »

I've spent a lot of money with PSA over the years. The only problem I've ever had was with one of their EPT triggers that would double tap when the trigger was pulled. They shipped a new one within a week. Great company.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

bldr60 wrote: May 29th, 2022, 8:55 am I've spent a lot of money with PSA over the years. The only problem I've ever had was with one of their EPT triggers that would double tap when the trigger was pulled. They shipped a new one within a week. Great company.
Are you saying it was the trigger causing a double burst of fire? I've seen hammer follow through on the bolt with no fire quite a bit, but never doubles or more. Would you explain?

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
bldr60

Post by bldr60 »

Sure, every time you pulled the trigger it would fire a two round burst. Pulled the fcg out to make sure everything was installed correctly and reinstalled it. Boom boom, same problem. Emailed PSA and they sent me a new EPT trigger group. Put it in and no more problem.