Abrasive grips

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Abrasive grips

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Just bought a new S&W Shield .45ACP. The grips are pretty aggressive and I know they are going to bite when I shoot it. What's the best way of smoothing out the grips a lit without hurting the appearance of the grips. I know Talon's are an option but would rather not go that route.

Noshoot

Re: Abrasive grips

Post by Noshoot »

Take sandpaper to them and go slow.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I wrapped mine with Tensoplast tape. Looks ugly. Works well. I'm not worried about appearance on a concealed gun.
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

Wear shooting gloves...
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Let your hands try it out over several range trips. Don't try to pump a few hundred break-in rounds through it in your first outing. Carry along some other guns with you to shoot, also. By your third range visit, you may find that the texture is simply not the intrusion you thought it would be.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have bought "Talon grips" or similar stick-on handgun grip products before to cover overly-aggressive grip texturing. They still provide a great grip surface - but the much finer almost sandpaper feel is easier on the hands than some sharks-tooth cheese grater some companies think is necessary. Last thing I want is to tear my nice soft hands up, and find out when I get some whackin' time.
Last edited by paulgt2164 on April 30th, 2022, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

paulgt2164 wrote: April 30th, 2022, 2:19 pm I have bought "Talon grips" or similar stick-on handgun grip products before to cover overly-aggressive grip texturing. They still provide a great grip surface - but the much finer almost sandpaper feel is easier on the hands than some sharks-tooth cheese grater some companies think is necessary. Last think I want is to tear my nice soft hands up, and find out when I get some whackin' time.
Remind me not to shoot any of your guns. Hahahahaha
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

pneuby wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:23 am Let your hands try it out over several range trips. Don't try to pump a few hundred break-in rounds through it in your first outing. Carry along some other guns with you to shoot, also. By your third range visit, you may find that the texture is simply not the intrusion you thought it would be.
What he said