AR-15 question

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
gunpoorboy1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR-15 question

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

I have one of the original Ruger AR-15 5.56/.223 rifles.
I've put a gazillion rounds through it and it's been a really good gun.

Now, the last two times I've taken it out (shooting my reloads) it's shot 2 or 3 rounds in a row with one pull of the trigger. Kind of scary.

What would cause this?

Desert_viper

Re: AR-15 question

Post by Desert_viper »

Check the disconnector. I've had one that wore down that when I let go of the trigger the disconnector didnt catch the hammer and it followed firing another round
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Something in the Hammer, Trigger Sear is probably worn or broken. Ruger will fix for free but you could get a nice Fire control Group and replace yourself as well.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

Desert_viper wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:28 am Check the disconnector. I've had one that wore down that when I let go of the trigger the disconnector didn't catch the hammer and it followed firing another round
This is most likely the problem... But, the following might be a cool idea too, putting a good aftermarket trigger kit in might give you even more fun shooting it.
h8pvmnt wrote: April 27th, 2022, 12:47 pm Something in the Hammer, Trigger Sear is probably worn or broken. Ruger will fix for free but you could get a nice Fire control Group and replace yourself as well.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I would call Ruger.
I am sure they will want you to ship it back to them , but they will pay shipping both ways.
Their customer service is amazing and they don't take long to rectify the problem.
They might just send you a brand new gun.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Send It back to Ruger, I had great experience with them on gun repair.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

So I sent it back to Ruger. The problem was in the aftermarket trigger I had put in. Ruger replaced it with a new trigger and returned it in less than two weeks.
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 6:21 pm So I sent it back to Ruger. The problem was in the aftermarket trigger I had put in. Ruger replaced it with a new trigger and returned it in less than two weeks.
Seems in your original post you failed to mention the aftermarket trigger you installed and made it sound like a Ruger problem. Very misleading.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Please advise how this was misleading. Unless the kind of problem I was having is more prominent in aftermarket triggers than mfg's triggers. Seems like the "cause" of the problem would be the same in both kind of triggers, in which case it wouldn't matter what type of trigger it was.
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:37 pm Please advise how this was misleading. Unless the kind of problem I was having is more prominent in aftermarket triggers than mfg's triggers. Seems like the "cause" of the problem would be the same in both kind of triggers, in which case it wouldn't matter what type of trigger it was.
All triggers are not created equally.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: April 27th, 2022, 5:58 pm I would call Ruger.
I am sure they will want you to ship it back to them , but they will pay shipping both ways.
Their customer service is amazing and they don't take long to rectify the problem.
They might just send you a brand new gun.
This has been my experience with Ruger. They replaced a gun of mine that was functioning 100% but had some abnormal wear in the receiver. They shipped a brand new one to my FFL and covered the transfer fees. The fact that they replaced an aftermarket trigger when it wasn't their responsibility shows just how far above and beyond they go.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

AZ_Five56 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:56 pm
This has been my experience with Ruger. They replaced a gun of mine that was functioning 100% but had some abnormal wear in the receiver. They shipped a brand new one to my FFL and covered the transfer fees. The fact that they replaced an aftermarket trigger when it wasn't their responsibility shows just how far above and beyond they go.
I got a Mini 14 in a trade once that was the most accurate Mini 14 the guy ever had and it worked flawlessly. It was a little dirty because he just shot it that morning. He hated to get rid of it.

I took it out and shot it , and it was the biggest piece of junk Mini 14 I have ever shot.
It jammed every other round.

I called Ruger and told them the problem and that I got it used.
They said send it in and sent me a shipping label.
They looked at the gun and said it was unrepairable.
They sent me a brand new gun.
It didn't have to go through an FFL. They sent it directly to me.
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

Ruger has a great customer service. They could have said that you altered their product and refused to correct the problem. I've never had a problem with them. Great products and service. I lost a firing pin spring for my MK1. Contacted customer service and asked about a replacement. They replaced it at no cost and sent an extra spring too.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Good on Ruger!