Quality over quantity? The change in my collection..

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Mauserk98k
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Quality over quantity? The change in my collection..

Post by Mauserk98k »

Hello,

I have about 16 guns and each one was bought with a reason in mind for that particular gun to use. However i have bought back ups for guns i use a lot that are still unfired/guns i don't exactly need then. Now i'm selling off a lot of guns i don't use to buy a colt python and nicer 1911 of some sort...
(even tough i have the cash to do it without selling anything off)

Would you cut your collection way down and focus on the higher end stuff you want? The funny thing is my first two handguns were a 1981 colt python and colt rail gun lol. I was too smart for my own good back then. The python was out of timing so i sold it off at a large profit but regretted it immensely. The colt rail gun was jamming and i didnt know to maintain 1911's with maintenance at certain round points so traded it off and told the guy about the issues...

Just feel like it might be a good idea to get a heirloom type pistol whether it be a python or a wilson combat cqb (i'm still getting a rail gun regaudless lol).. What would you guys do in my spot?

-Zack

G34

Re: Quality over quantity? The change in my collection..

Post by G34 »

Quality is an opinion. Do what makes you happy. I see alot of guys say something is quality and I disagree. But they may think the same about my stuff. I sold all my stock factory rifles about 6 years ago and went all custom actions and barrels. None of my pistols stay stock.
samnev

Post by samnev »

As G34 do what makes you happy. But in my case I choose quality over quantity.

i
Doc

Post by Doc »

If you have a 300WM R700 that ends up in your “crap” pile let me know.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

My tendency is to view guns as 1) a tool, and 2) an appreciating asset / investment. Other than a situation where financial need would drive the sale of guns, I tend to only sell guns that I have decided are not a good tool. They'll get sold if they are unreliable, are inaccurate (compared to others in their space), or are uncomfortable to shoot (and not in the "look I'm a .338-378 wby and it hurts when you pull the trigger" type of uncomfortable - but the "I've got huge hands and this single stack micro 9 feels terrible" sort of way).

So other than situations where I positively don't like a gun - I tend to hang on to stuff - the kids can sell them when I'm gone.

That said - that's just me - and I'll echo G34 as well - do what makes you happy. I'm guessing that I do what I do mostly because I hate the thought of regretting the sale of a gun that I used to own. I'd probably get more out of life if I sold stuff, combined the money, and bought better stuff... but I don't...
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I've had a lot of regret over selling guns that I really liked, but for some reason was on the fence about keeping at one time. If you have what you would consider backup guns that haven't even been fired and you have zero attachment to, I would consider letting those go. If it's something that you really like and you don't shoot it often, but you still pick it up every once in a while to bring a smile to your face, you might want to hang on to that.

As far as "quality" goes, some of what is considered high-end is hype in my opinion. I usually go mid-level when buying something, and I feel like I get good value vs quality, especially when I put in a little money into upgrades like nice sights and smooth triggers. As G34 and everyone else has said, do what makes you happy.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Why not both?

Seriously. I figure by the time I have grandkids much of what we can buy now won’t be available to them. So I buy for myself, my kids, and future grandkids.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I have a few friends where every gun has to be some practical/tactical thing that has a use case. As such, their collections are pretty boring.

They always want to tag along when I go shooting because I buy stuff that makes no sense other than it is fun, neat, or hilarious. Sure I have "Practical" guns - glocks, ARs, etc. And they mostly sit in the safe as I take out more entertaining things. But I never was a practical person, or a smart one.

I couple years ago after I was cleared by a Dr to shoot firearms after some surgeries the wife and I made a list of stuff we wanted - and I have been working through the list, with impulse buys sprinkled in.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, my collection is eclectic to say the least, and am liquidating it, hurts some, but had a hoot of a time finding, dealing and buying and then shootin, time to share them with others.
happy days and good luck, screw what anyone thinks of your selection, if you be happy, fuge'm i' say
Rj
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I say have it both ways. Get the high end stuff that you always wanted or wish you had not sold. And keep some utilitarian tools. Its all about what makes you happy. If your like most of us that will change over time. Don't put a number to it. I like rare and unique stuff, not really into 10,000 shotguns or engraving etc. But i appreciate those things... Having something that only 20 were imported is more interesting too me. Most would think its silly. I like Chinese SKS collecting because there are so many variations. The hunt and the research is the best part. The having part is less interesting.

I also plan to pass down to kids and grandkids. So i am collecting for them too.
Doc

Post by Doc »

h8pvmnt wrote: April 27th, 2022, 12:19 pm
I also plan to pass down to kids and grandkids. So i am collecting for them too.
I wish my pops had done this for me. I’m planning on this for my crew. The hardest part has been “not shooting their ammo”

I personally think the ammo is the most important part of the equation….but I hope not.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

Only 16 guns? You gotta have a problem before coming here looking for solutions 😄
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

I buy, buy, buy guns like crazy. In 2016 I gave my youngest son(27) an Ar15 and Glock 19 9mm that also included a G23 factory ported slide and barrel and. 40 mags.

I had about 10 Ar's at the time and wanted to pare down some. Well, as luck would have it, I have over 20 Ar's now, even after giving one to my oldest son(28) recently.

My 2 boys will split up my collection of firearms and have way more than they need and are free to sell whatever. My only request is that they get decent money for whatever they sell.

I view guns as an investment and, like what was said previously, an appreciating asset that is liquid anytime you need it to be.

Both my boys make very good money and don't need to sell to put a down payment on a house, so they will probably hold onto everything.

I feel lucky that I don't have to sell of my collection before I die. I'm glad that is part of their inheritance. They are both firearms enthusiasts, so it makes it easy for me

I respect RJ for slimming down his collection so his wife isn't saddled with that big burden. A lot of widows just want to be done with it and will take pennies on the dollar to be out from underneath it. I have an attachment to all my firearms and the idea of getting rid of anything is very hard for me.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, needing to get collection to under 500 units, the milsurps are all going away except a few cherries, still buying, just went different route, hehe, lotsa life left, just need mo room, and of course ole gal is giving a push back, but wtf, boys someone said he who dies with the most wins sumtin, i won't really care, just will die with a smile on me face, knowing i tried like the dickens to win. heheh, just kidding
any collection over one is awesome, and even more so if you use it
Rj
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Kingjoey wrote: April 27th, 2022, 3:27 pm You gotta have a problem before coming here looking for solutions 😄
:clap: