Usery pass/Rio Salado range

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Doc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Usery pass/Rio Salado range

Post by Doc »

gunpoorboy1 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 7:20 pm The weirdest thing I've ever seen at Rio.
We were all standing behind the line as instructed during a cease fire.
One of the RO's was walking down the line doing his thing when all of a sudden, he stopped in front of a guy walking towards him. He immediately started screaming, "what the hell are you doing with a pistol on your hip walking towards me during a cease fire? Who the "$uck do you think you are? Get your stuff and leave." The other guy looked at him and said, "Hey Mike, it's me." That's right, he was yelling at another RO walking down the line, doing his thing from the opposite direction. Now I don't care who you are, that there was funny. True story.
Rio being Rio.

As others have stated. PRGC is the last place you get treated like an adult.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Rio is fine for taking the kids to shoot. As others have stated there are rules, they don't want anyone getting shot. I have never had issues that would keep me from going there. Best time is Sunday afternoons in my opinion or during the week. There are a lot of non gun people that go there so they have to be over zealous. But its not a big deal.

Follow instructions, listen to commands. Stand behind the specified lines during cease fires. Don't touch anything on the benches during a cease fire, only case and uncase firearms on the bench. No handling of firearms during a cease fire including carrying from your car. Keep firearms pointed down range. All firearms unloaded and actions open on a cease fire, magazines removed even if empty. Its all pretty simple common sense stuff. Don't be a dick and you will be fine.

I have been going there since the 80's never had a bad experience. You make your own issues. Is there over zealous range officers yea maybe. But put yourself in there shoes. Trying to control chaos. 40-50 people many not "Gun Guys" like all of you shooting at same time. It's easy to complain but its a safe and useful place to shoot especially with kids to tech them the proper range etiquette. I prefer shooting in the desert but that is getting harder and harder to do. Rio is way better than an indoor range with kids.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I generally avoid the public ranges - unless I can get out of work and go during regular business hours.
This is not because of the RSOs, but because on the weekends there are entirely too many idiots on the line. I get why they yell - sometimes it is warranted. In my experience, if you can go to Ben Avery on a weekday morning the knucklehead ratio is dramatically better. If you do - I'd also suggest telling the range master that you are teaching your grandkids, that they are new shooters, and asking them if they'd be willing to put you out on the end of the line. I've done that before (when taking an adult friend who was a new shooter) and they were gracious and gave us a bunch of space.

When I taught my kiddos I took chairs and folding tables out to the sticks and we shot there. I'd suggest the same. The commies are increasingly shutting down access - but there are still some spots available. Just make sure that you pack out more target trash than you take in with you.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Longhair1957 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 9:36 am Thanks all,

I think I need to find a good desert spot somewhere.
@Longhair1957 - Check your PMs
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

BigNate wrote: April 27th, 2022, 12:15 pm
Longhair1957 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 9:36 am Thanks all,

I think I need to find a good desert spot somewhere.
@Longhair1957 - Check your PMs
Feel free to PM me also. :)
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Found a spot that should work for now. Thanks all
82echo

Post by 82echo »

BigNate wrote: April 27th, 2022, 11:50 am I generally avoid the public ranges - unless I can get out of work and go during regular business hours.
This is not because of the RSOs, but because on the weekends there are entirely too many idiots on the line. I get why they yell - sometimes it is warranted. In my experience, if you can go to Ben Avery on a weekday morning the knucklehead ratio is dramatically better. If you do - I'd also suggest telling the range master that you are teaching your grandkids, that they are new shooters, and asking them if they'd be willing to put you out on the end of the line. I've done that before (when taking an adult friend who was a new shooter) and they were gracious and gave us a bunch of space.

When I taught my kiddos I took chairs and folding tables out to the sticks and we shot there. I'd suggest the same. The commies are increasingly shutting down access - but there are still some spots available. Just make sure that you pack out more target trash than you take in with you.
This ^. Good write up..
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Perspective. I've been a PR&G member since September. Dozens of visits during members-only hours since signing up. All occurrences at the 'main' range, which is the one open to the public on weekend mornings. points 1-5 on the left are to 100yds, trickling down to points 25-26 on the right which start at 10, and go to 50yds. When you're far enough to the right side, you cannot see the 100yd target stands.

I once saw two old-timers amble on down to their 100yd targets during a HOT range. Either they couldn't hear, or were simply oblivious. Why didn't they sound-off and ASK us on the shallow end? I also saw folks start lighting up the short berm not realizing a member was walking back from that same 100yrd line. I can't count how may times I see members messing with their gear on the bench during a cease-fire. I'm cool with picking up your tape-roll, or stapler, to head on down to the target. Anything else ought to be a no-go.
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

pneuby wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:37 am Perspective. I've been a PR&G member since September. Dozens of visits during members-only hours since signing up. All occurrences at the 'main' range, which is the one open to the public on weekend mornings. points 1-5 on the left are to 100yds, trickling down to points 25-26 on the right which start at 10, and go to 50yds. When you're far enough to the right side, you cannot see the 100yd target stands.

I once saw two old-timers amble on down to their 100yd targets during a HOT range. Either they couldn't hear, or were simply oblivious. Why didn't they sound-off and ASK us on the shallow end? I also saw folks start lighting up the short berm not realizing a member was walking back from that same 100yrd line. I can't count how may times I see members messing with their gear on the bench during a cease-fire. I'm cool with picking up your tape-roll, or stapler, to head on down to the target. Anything else ought to be a no-go.
When you are a certain distance down on the right side the 50 yard burn completely obscures several of the 100 yard targets. It is very easy to think the range is clear when actually there are people on the other side of the burm thinking the range is still cold. PR&G needs to fix this situation before there is a tragedy.