Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

Post by delta6 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 20th, 2022, 8:59 am
aroyobob wrote: March 20th, 2022, 8:38 am Looks like the selector switch on the M-14 rifles has been replaced with the button, locking them in semi only mode.
Doesn't quite work like that. Semi auto requires a different trigger, safety selector, and disconnector. Unless of course, they've designed something different I'm not aware of.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
The selector lock was a common revision to the M14. In the late 60's and early 70's when the US military made the decision that the full auto feature of the M14 was not very viable, an M14 that was sent to an armory/depot for storage or repair, one of the first changes was the addition of the selector lock. Early on when the selector locks were in short supply, they would just remove the M14 trigger and replace it with a M1 Garand trigger. Back when the DCM would issue shooting clubs match M14's, they had selector locks installed and the selector lock pin was either welded or brazed in place.
Other than the trigger housing, trigger guard, disconnector and a spring, the M1 and M14 have the same fire control parts.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The latest Kalashnikov to hit the battlefield

Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:38 pm
aroyobob wrote: March 20th, 2022, 8:37 pm

Post 4 here has good closeup pictures of the selector lock vs. selector switch.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=30786

another picture. It's not intended to be permanent and just takes drifting the pin out and replacing the selector lock with the switch (assuming you have a switch.)
m14lock.jpg
Ah, thank you, I was thinking of a completely different gun for some reason.

Clyde
Someone better screen cap this for Posterity.

I think this is the first time in history where this is the closest to Clyde ever admitting he is wrong. :lol:
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here's another DP. Ukrainians love DP.
NINTCHDBPICT000718213373.png
I haven't seen photo evidence of it yet, but apparently the War Museum in Kyiv decided to bust out all the weapons on display to be pressed into service. So all sorts of German belt-feds and submachineguns were loaded up and distributed.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 1:19 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: March 20th, 2022, 11:38 pm

Ah, thank you, I was thinking of a completely different gun for some reason.

Clyde
Someone better screen cap this for Posterity.

I think this is the first time in history where this is the closest to Clyde ever admitting he is wrong. :lol:

When there is a need to, but, I'm normally correct, so it's a fluke. I could've just deleted my post.

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Clyde
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

Haven't seen a PKM pic yet
Attachments
pkm.jpg
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yeah, there are plenty of PKMs and AK74s everywhere over there. I've been focused on finding the stuff different than that.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

On the first page of this thread there's a pic of a guy holding a rifle laying in a trench. This appears to be the same type of rifle, a Sako TRG 42. This pic was captioned as being of a Canadian volunteer sniper who posted the pic recently to dispel rumors of his demise.
Sako TRG 42.jpg
Last edited by aroyobob on March 22nd, 2022, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

Really enjoying this thread, thanks all!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here is another liberated Russian AK12, but sporting a Ukrainian Saim SCL-35 thermal optic,...which the Russians don't have or use.

Some of these old Maxims look like they were either arsenal refurbished or never unpacked for service til now. This one seems really clean and runs like a top.

And here we see a Donetsk separatist volunteer dedicated marksman, but instead of a modern Dragunov, he's been issued an out-of-date SKS with what appears to be a star light optic.

Here is an abandoned PKP just outside of Mariupol. It is a derivative of the PKM, but minus the removable barrel feature and fitted with a steel jacket around the barrel designed to suck in cooler air - similar in concept to the old Lewis Gun. As a result they tend to be more accurate and allow the heat shielding of optics. They are usually issued (but not exclusively) to Spetznatz units.

Here we see 2 civilian volunteers, one with his privately-owned AK that he has customized. Note the collapsible butt, the red dot and the ATI rubber pistol grip.

If Ukrainian ambushers have time to scrounge through abandoned Russian vehicles, they certainly do so. Every spare mag and crate of ammo is needed. This is the contents of a shot out BMP-3 that the Russians un-assed and fled.

Here are 2 American volunteers armed with Czech VZ58s. The Czech Republic donated 5000 of these, and they are being issued primarily to international volunteers arriving in Uzhhorod. American on the left claimed to be from Texas, while American on right said he was from Ohio.

Northern Kyiv volunteers with a mismatch of nonstandard guns. We see here a Glock17L, a semi-auto VZ61 in .380 and an RPD.

Here is a Ukrainian special forces RPG gunner's main weapon and his select-fire Stechkin pistol.

This is the unexploded remains of one of Russia's suicide drones I showed earlier in the thread. But Russia's typical poor quality control is seeing a rather unsatisfactory ratio of these just colliding with their targets and not going off, like this one.

And all those pallets of ammo you have expended trying to shoot down RC aircraft at Big Sandy has not been a waste!! Drones are everywhere on the modern battlefield, and you see one that ain't yours, shoot that sucker down!! This was a Ukrainian reconnaissance and observation drone until a Russian with an AK74 brought it down.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Nice to Ronnie's donations are being distributed.

Here is an American-made PSRL-1, made by AirTronic. Ukraine started buying these in 2017 to replace their worn out RPG7s. Notice the tattoo is English.

Nothing says redneck quite like a .50 caliber belt-fed in your pick-up truck, even if you are just a beet farmer in Pervomaysk.

And another suppressed 9x39 VAL. This one looks so nice,...like it was never fired and only dropped once.

Now this is a nifty and curious expedient adaptation. At this school machine shop somewhere north of Nikopol, 82mm mortars are being modified with adapters to be launched as short-range direct-fire munitions via RPG launchers. Ukrainians, once they attack a column that has any infantry troops on board trucks or APCs, then have to deal with dismounted soldiers. The distances are almost too short for mortars launched the traditional way because distances are so close and the hang time too long before impact. But now some RPG gunners, when an ambush is tripped, have these 82mm mortar bombs ready to fire at concentrations of dismounted Russians in whatever ditch they dive into. They also work well on plain old supply trucks that don't require a HEAT warhead, allowing those to be conserved for actual armored targets. Apparently a simple press-on coupler attaches the rocket booster to the tailboom, and presto-chango.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Brand new RPG7 launchers fresh out of the crate in Chernivtsi, donated by Romania and prepared to be distributed.

Here we see a member of the Azov battalion with a captured Stechkin, complete with suppressor and wire shoulder stock. Supposedly this was taken from a Russian Spetznatz trooper. The blurred portions of the picture are to obscure the Nazi flags and such the Azov dudes love to decorate with.

Another Tavor (or rather, a FORT 221, locally produce licensed copy) with a Mepro M21 red dot sight. Notice also the Motorola radio.

Some more of the Azov battalion guys. This particular unit seems to have standardized on AK74s with LPVOs. Those Azov boys love posing with dead Russians.

2 more uncommon PKPs, left behind in Mariupol.

Many nationalities with scores to settle against Russia are showing up to fight for Ukraine. Not only do you see a Barrett 99 in this photo of Georgian veterans, but the 3rd guy from the left in the back row is the former Georgian Defense Minister himself.

And how many Remington ACRs do you expect to see in Ukraine? Not many, I suspect. This member of the territorial defense forces (militia volunteers) has his privately owned ACR.

This is the pilot survival kit liberated from a downed SU25 Frogfoot. Notice the damage to the AKS-74U. It is unclear if it received that damage from a missle warhead or a firefight.

Part of the reason Ukrainians love Americans. Many HMMWVs and other systems have been sent from American depots near the western border. Not a whole lot of M240Bs have been seen deeper in the country, probably for logistical issues in supplying ammo in theater. But every donated M240B staying put defending Lviv means another PKM allowed to be sent east to the front.

Some captured stuff from a BTR-80 outside of Sumi. We see an AK12, a Dragunov, 2 suppressed VALs, 30mm grenade launcher, RPG7 and warheads,...and assorted trinkets.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Good stuff..thanx for posting :text-coolphotos:
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

You could retire selling all of those Dragunov mags