Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

Post by Suck My Glock »

Suppressed Zbroyer Z-10 rifles with thermal optics

More FNC rifles in Ukraine

More Uzis

Recent training with German-donated HK MG5s by the Sibir Battalion, which consists only of Russian nationals, who want to fight against the Russian armed forces.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

France has indeed gifted some FAMAS bullpups to Ukraine now that they are in the midst of adopting the HK 416 to replace them. This is the first picture of one I've seen actually issued in the field so far.

Another suppressed Ruger Precision Rifle blasting at blyat Bolshoi butt boys.

Here we see an original Russian PBS-1 suppressor on an AK74. Kinda rare these days. Suppressors are everywhere on the modern battlefield, but most of these Soviet era cans have since been worn out and tossed. Suppressors are relatively easy to make and newer designs have improved performance, so it's interesting to see one pulled out of mothballs. We also see someone posing as an American volunteer with a PKM sporting an EOTech. But since he doesn't know how to properly wear an American insignia, he's probably just fan hoping to spook the Ruskies if they find his body.

Another Canadian CADEX rifle with a thermal optic in Bahkmut, still denying the Russians their goal.

Another Belgian FAL in Ukraine, this time sporting an ACOG.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

This is why you keep your rifle dry, especially in winter. Good luck getting a magazine in there, or the trigger to pull.

When you've been blasting corrosive Russian ammo all day and it's time to douche out the stuttering bich,....

A Spaniard volunteer assigned to the GUR (Defense Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense - essentially akin to our SOCOM and DIA all rolled into one) has named his new HK MG5 Julia, and instructed her "pon los a dormir" (put them to sleep).

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Norwegian volunteer packing a SIG 320 in his holster and an FN SCAR in hand. But most interesting is the commercially packaged Winchester ammo cases in his unit's vehicle. So the rumors of Lake City's excess production capacity diverted from the civilian market to Ukraine appear to be true.

A photo from back in September of an artillery crewman with his Swedish K SMG.

It seems that Russian body armor is insufficient against Barrett MRAD and .338 AP ammo.

Another captured VSS Vintorez 9x39 suppressed rifle, partnered with a G19.

Photo is a couple months old, but the Ukies are still very satisfied with their Zbroyer Z10 rifles, within the limitations of .308 that is.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

We see here a tank version of the PKM rescued from a destroyed Russian vehicle and modified into a bullpup conversion for ground deployment.

An M4 Carl Gustav 84mm recoiless rifle anti-tank weapon.

A new and previously unseen short barrelled version of the CZ Bren2, outfitted with a suppressor.

As part of the planned and expected eventual joining of NATO after the war, Ukraine is slowly replacing soviet-era weapon systems as they wear out from heavy use in the field. All Dshk 12.7x108mm weapons will eventually be replaced by M2 Brownings. Ukraine has already been producing prototypes of a locally made variant that are being used in the field as live-fire design trials for determining what the eventual final design will be. Here is one of them.

Yuri with 3 more McMillan TAC50 rifles bought with private donations, destined to be issued to new sniper graduates.

This is a factory promo photo of the "Chukavin" (SVCh) designated marksman rifle Russia is finally producing and scheduled to replace the old SVD Dragunov. It was announced in 2019 that this weapon would begin serial production in 2 years time, but that was pushed back by the war. Now that so many SVDs are getting captured, destroyed or damaged, new emphasis has been placed on resuming the original manufacturing schedule that was paused by the war. Word has it that some have already been in the field in Ukraine undergoing testing by Spetznatz troopers. But none have yet been captured by Ukraine to be analyzed. Pre-war promotional photos showed these were designed in both a 7.62x54R and 7.62NATO variant, as well as a larger .338 model. Intel is that focus of production currently is 7.62x54R.

Very uncommon in Ukraine, but a few have been captured; this is the SVDK - a commercial variant of the SVD meant for civilian sales as a dangerous game rifle, chambered in the 9.3x64 Brenneke safari cartridge. This throws a nearly 300 grn. spitzer at nearly 2600 fps. While not as flat shooting as something like the .338Lapua, it is none the less an off-the-shelf heavy-hitter that Russia has decided has utility in attempting to better punch through NATO body armor. Examples of these have been retrieved from KIA Spetznatz marksmen.

Russian FSB raided a home in Melitipol suspected of involvement with partisan anti-occupation activities. They uncovered a small cache of pre-war civilian weapons pictured here, including a Turkish MKE semi-auto MP5 variant, a semi-auto Steyr AUG, a Remington 870 and a CZ83 pistol.

Here we see an uncommon "Russian Barrett" OSV-96 in 12.7x108 from a captured data stick recovered from an obliterated bunker.

From that same recovered data stick we see here a rare Russian OTs-129 in 7.62NATO. Few of these have been captured.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Ruger has been selling plenty of Precision Rifles to Ukraine, and we have seen many of them in the field. But here we see a like new Ruger AR-15 MPR in the hands of a Ukie a couple months ago. While MPRs became available back in 2019 (so this COULD be a civilian-owned rifle pressed into service), this one looks in such pristine condition it's hard to imagine it has been through 2 years of war. Did Ruger sell a batch of rifles to the Ukrainian armed forces recently? Well, if this guy's hand wasn't digitally blurred, we'd be able to see if there is a sear pin hole in the magic spot. As it is, we are left to wonder. We'll keep an eye out for other Ruger rifles in country.

Another slightly uncommon Desert Tech bullpup sniper rifle employed in Ukraine. Hard to make it out because he's got it camouflaged so good.

Newly manufactured Russian ammo in Ukraine is showing desperate wartime manufacturing shortcuts. New monolithic steel AP 12.7x108 rounds. Black tip is described as 'enhanced AP' capable of piercing through "the side of a NATO APC at 100m" (not exactly very specific). Have to wonder how fast an unjacketed steel penetrator will wear out rifling. Cases are still steel but now using the old school brass washing rather than more expensive lacquer or polymer.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Is the crimping on the case neck common for the unjacketed round?
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

XJThrottle wrote: January 18th, 2024, 6:37 am Is the crimping on the case neck common for the unjacketed round?
Apparently so.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Everyone likes a hot little Swede

Another Swedish K M45 Carl Gustav 9mm SMG with a tank crewman.

SIG 716i Tread with suppressor and what appears to be an AGM Rattler thermal sight.

In the trenches with an HK MG5 and FN SCAR. This is likely near the bridgehead over the Dnipr, as the old Vietnam tigerstripes have been popular with the Marines and naval commandos.

Another Ruger Precision Rifle

More AGM Rattler thermal sights, this time on a captured VSS Vintorez 9x39 suppressed rifle.

One of the sneakier nasty surprises left behind by Ukrainian raiders when they probe beyond the front lines are these mines disguised as cans of food. If discovered and required to retreat under fire, the recon teams like to pretend they have fled so fast that they dropped their packs in order to haul azz back to safety. Within those sacrificial packs are these disguised food can mines. The poor starving Russian can't resist getting some more of everything they are low in supply of, so they snatch these tins up and take them back to their trenches and bunkers to see what tasty snack they scored. BOOM!!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Older photo from August of 2022 of Belgian FAL outfitted with a Pulsar Digex C50 thermal imaging scope.

Lots of CZ Bren2s have been donated to the war effort, but this is the first photo I've seen of a shorty Bren2.

Ukraine has been developing since before the 2nd invasion a polymer ammo belt link for the PKM. It has been in live fire field testing for over a year, working in extreme heat and cold. Also in development during that time has been a light weight polymer feed chute system for the PKM so assault soldiers could carry 650 rounds of continuous belt on their backs. It has carried the project name "Predator", in obvious inspiration of Jesse Ventura's gunner character in that movie. The polymers links and feed chute significantly cut the weight, making the system actually workable. Once American M240s and European FN/MAGs started showing in significant numbers, the system was also adapted to the 7.62x51Nato belts, as well as a polymer belt link to replace Nato M13 links was devised. The two backpack ammo supply feed chute systems are now adopted and being issued to select units. The PKM ammo pack retains the "Predator" name, while the M240 and FN/MAG ammo pack system has been dubbed the "Murena" for reasons unclear.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Belgian Paratrooper FAL with camo paint job and variable power scope for use as a designated marksman rifle.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

More Daniels Defense rifles in evidence. Would be curious to hear from the world's largest live fire testing ground currently ongoing as to how the various brands of AR rifles are holding up under such conditions.

More Swedish AK4 designated marksman rifles have been showing up. The AK4 is the Swedish variant of the G3, and was relegated to the Home Guard a couple decades ago when the FNC was adopted as the AK5. It has mostly been withdrawn even from Home Guard issue, and they have been donated to Ukraine.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A lot of the best small arms have been issued to troops actively facing the Russians on the front. The secondary small arms that are less common or more difficult to supply with spare parts or ammo tend to get issued to the rear echelon local militia or guards. Here we see some donated Czech VZ58 rifles that were received rather early in the war, but have been relegated to service other than the front lines. Also interesting is the very uncommon Norinco QJC-88 belt-fed 12.7x108mm mounted in the truck. It appears to be part of the intercepted Iranian shipment of weapons originally destined for the Houthis in Yemen that the U.S. Navy seized in 2021 and handed over to the CIA to be distributed to whomever they felt needed them. A sudden influx of Chinese weaponry showed up in Ukrainian hands in mid-2022.

Not a whole lot of RPDs survive in Ukraine today. Most of them were given away as military aide to Africa and Asia back when Ukraine was still part of the USSR. This one appears in great shape; perhaps an actual museum piece liberated from it's display and pressed back into service?

The Czechs and Slovaks also gifted a bunch of UK59 belt-feds in 7.62x54R early in 2022. They run so well, however, that even though they are not as common as PKMs or NATO-provided FN-MAGs and MG-3s, they are still used in front line service with some units.

Vanya: Igor, we want M134 minigun.
Igor: Silly Vanya;...we have minigun at home.

And speaking of recycling 100 year old Maxims;...here's one that some shop modified and customized to be pressed into ground service as a GPMG. They ditched the water jacket, gave it a barrel shroud, created a belt box hanging off the bottom, a bipod, a carry handle, a pistol grip, a butt stock,...and even added a small optic rail just behind the top cover. I don't know why they devised a new boxy fuzee cover on it's left side, and I have no idea what the thing over the barrel that looks like a gas piston is, because Maxims are recoil-operated. This one appears to one of the few weapons that is CURRENTLY on display at some local museum of some sort. Likely displaying the local ingenuity and handiness that were so required in those early days in 2022.

Another museum piece that was busted out of the glass display cases and put back to work. In this case, a German MG34. I'm curious to know how difficult it is to find 8mm ammo in theater, since nobody other than the Yugoslavs were still issuing the caliber in recent times. And the Serbians aren't very friendly with Ukraine, choosing to side with Putin. Croatia and Kosovo might still have some in stock to donate, but not much. Notice the one on the floor appears to be in unissued condition, as if right out of the transit chest.

Canadian Diemaco C7A1 rifle that KABOOMED in the field. No,...300 Blackout was not involved. Apparently the firing pin somehow remained stuck forward as it picked up the next round and detonated it early before the bolt could fully rotate and lock. Reports of this sort of failure have been not all that uncommon in Ukraine. The prevailing theory is that an insufficient supply of CLP in country has led to a lot of other lubes being substituted,...not all of which work well. Most commonly available are simple automotive oils of varying grades and viscosities.

And this is the first Ares Shrike (now known as the FiteLite MCR) that I've seen in Ukraine. I have no information on how it got there or how many others may have been delivered. Was it in a batch of privately funded/donated weapons sent by U.S. benefactors? Were they ordered by some minor Ukie government agency? It's a mystery.

And yes, the M14s are still being issued and used.
Notice the FNC also laying on the table, and the American patch on the instructor's helmet.

Some American and Brit private contractor/instructors with an HK MG5

How to spot Americans in Ukraine.

Miami actually did send their confiscated crime guns last summer to Ukraine. Here they are on the dock after being shipped in from Poland.
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

Very cool pics and info. Thanks again for posting.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »