Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
That Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

Post by That Guy »

That grenade launcher on the right side of the frame in the last photo os a “GP-25” and its actually 40MM. I fired one in Eastern Europe in 1997. It’s much simpler than an M-203 because you load the grenade (not the round) from the front and it down the barrel until a detent engages a groove in the base of the grenade. I’ll be honest-I was a little hinky about doing this procedure. The trigger is a heavy double action so theres no need to cock it. I found it to be as accurate as a 203 but it didn’t have the legs. Since its so small I thought it would make a cool “pistol” for short range engagements e.g. when MACV-SOG guys used to chop down M-79’s and use PRC-25 antenna bags for holsters.

That Guy

Post by That Guy »

I’m searching for the small arms “unicorn” in Ukraine war photos: an M1895 Winchester in 7.62X54R. What are the chances of spotting one? Just a tic above non-existant. But if somebody had told me before I went to Iraq to BOLO for an FN CAL or Sherman tank I woulda told em’ it would be a waste of time as well……

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here we see an infamous member of the Azov battalion, Sergey Korotkikh, holding two Ukrainian-made Anti-Materiel rifles; SnipeX T-Rex (14.5x114) and SnipeX M-75 (12.7x108). Slung by his side is a side-folding AR pistol or carbine. There is an open crate of AK74 mags on the right.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

There are nearly as many variants of PK belt-feds as there are AK rifles. Most countries that were licensed to produce AKs, also produced PKs. These are 3 nearly new Ukrainian KM-7.62 MGs, locally produced copies of the PKM by Mayak. Notice that just like Russians, Ukrainians tend to just use automotive oil for lubing their machineguns, indicated by the gray bottle on the table.

Famed Canadian veteran sniper "Wali", whom the Russians claimed a week ago to have killed, released this pic of him and his Sako TRG-42 two days ago showing he is quite alive. For security when in the field so as not to be targeted, he pulls the battery from his phone and stows it in his pack. Thus, he didn't know for over 4 days that the world had reported him as a casualty. He sent this out to calm friends and family.

Here's a close look at what an AK12 magazine looks like.

Here's a captured 43x30mm GM-94 pump-action 3-shot grenade launcher. These tend to be issued to special forces units like Spetznatz.

Another captured AS VAL suppressed 9x39 weapon. These have been turning up with surprising regularity with urban assault teams,...seemingly to cut down on the deafening damage from having to shoot indoors or other enclosed spaces.

Here is a band of volunteer armed citizens in the Uzhhorod city park, posing after a day of maneuver training, members of the Carpathian January Battalion, so named because they formed in January before the invasion, in anticipation, and Uzhhorod is on the border with Slovakia, in the Carpathian mountains. They have a mix of AK74s with a smattering of AKS-74Us. They appear to be in good spirits, but Uzhhord has been spared what has gone on in the east.

Here is a rather new-looking Mk19 40mm automatic grenade launcher, presumably of U.S. origin. Notably, there is no ammunition evident in the picture. The guy on the left is hefting a British NLAW.

Here's another group of Georgian volunteers, and the kneeling one in the center has a Czech-donated CZ806 Bren2.

Forward Observations Group members can be seen with a Ukrainian UKROP UAR-15 rifle + EOTech RDS/magnifier and Mk 18 "Mod III" (Geissele URG-I) AR Build with RDS/magnifier, AN/PEQ-15A ATPIAL and suppressor.

Foreign volunteers from Belarus. The one holding the M240B is the commander. It is sporting a Dedal-450 night vision sight.

How many guys get their hands on a suppressed Desert Tech SRS A1 even here in the US, and an AKS-74U to boot? Me, jealous? Naaaaaahhhhh!

The Georgian volunteers got some interesting stuff. Another Bren2 and an MG42. The MG42 looks nearly as new as the Bren2, as if it has been in a museum until now. And maybe it has!

This is NOT an MP5. This Russian is posing with a captured civilian-legal semi-auto Turkish MKE T-94A2 carbine.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Doc

Post by Doc »

So many fun guns.

I was playing with a PK and the MG42 (it’s been converted to 308W) the other day. We use motor oil on it then too.

The MG42 always makes me feel uneasy. That unit is a sewing machine and I always think “man is hate to be the American in a beach trying to fight this”

Good thread! I’m enjoying it.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Looks like another Maxim, this time in Russian hands (in a Loncin industries motorized delivery tricycle.)
another maxim.jpeg
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Doc wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:55 am So many fun guns.

I was playing with a PK and the MG42 (it’s been converted to 308W) the other day. We use motor oil on it then too.

The MG42 always makes me feel uneasy. That unit is a sewing machine and I always think “man is hate to be the American in a beach trying to fight this”

One of the US Army units I was in had an MG-3 in the battalion arms room. A few month's before I signed into the unit some guys were shooting it and apparently one of the rounds had an insufficient powder charge and a bullet became stuck in the barrel with predictable results. During my second tour of Germany (latter half of the 90’s) I went to a gun show in the Stuttgart Messe (convention hall) which blew my mind. Back then when it came to “forbidden weapons” the receivers were perfectly legal but the barrels and bolts were banned (bolts usually had the face ground off and the barrels had large holes drilled in them). Soooooo, imagine how much I drooled when I saw mint MG-42 receivers in the grease for 750 Marks! But what REALLY tempted me were TRW M-14 receivers for 125 marks and AKM receivers for 50 marks……
Doc

Post by Doc »

That Guy wrote: March 24th, 2022, 10:37 am
Doc wrote: March 24th, 2022, 7:55 am So many fun guns.

But what REALLY tempted me were TRW M-14 receivers for 125 marks and AKM receivers for 50 marks……
I’m sure pay wasn’t even close to what it is now. Oh for only 90’s money.

I bet 7.62x39 was sold for a song and a firm handshake.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Stills from a video of Ukrainian troops examining a recoilless rifle that appears to be a Russian SPG-9 type or some variant - they licensed it to Bulgaria and Ukraine. Supposedly an effective range of 800m - 1300m depending on the type of ammunition.
recoiless rifle 1.jpg

The guy on the left in the next two pics is holding the sight which attached to the top of the barrel ahead of the tripod.
recoiless rifle 3.jpg
recoiless rifle 2.jpg
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Swiss Brugger & Thomet rifle, could be 7.62x51 or 338 Laupua depending on the model. Is the ejection port big enough for .338?
FOp1YoOXEAEHMWP.jpg

Looks like Zbroyar Z-10, Ukrainian 7.62x51mm based on the AR-10
FOp1ZZFXMAch6Yv.jpg
Z-10 on the roof.
FOp1Y2HX0AABpES.jpg
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

American volunteer posing with blasted APC carcass.

A quite notable 6P29M VSSM Vintorez sniper rifle (modernized variant of VSS), chambered in 9x39mm and features an integral suppressor in Mariupol.

Members of 'Right Sector', a less Nazi political group on the ultra-nationalist right wing of Ukraine politics. The dude on the right has a PPSh41, of which I have not seen many.

This picture was actually taken Feb. 19th, only a few days before the invasion, outside Kyiv, of a civilian militia group of volunteers, assembling for their first day of emergency training by veterans. This is before the government started handing out rifles, so these are all self-equipped folks. Notice the HK G36 in the foreground. Most of the rifles are ARs, with a couple of AKs.

Volunteers showing aptitude for marksmanship are being issued Mosin-Nagants outfitted with optics and suppressors. Females and older men who are less physically dynamic tend to fill out these roles. Anya can pop your grape from a 6th floor balcony as skillfully as any young buck.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

When granny don't give a phuck,...

A still photo from a Russian press propaganda video. These are shotguns and other sporting arms taken from Ukrainian civilian resistance fighters. In the video, Russia claims these are the supposed arms the west has provided to the "Nazi gangsters", and supposedly highlights how western aid is ineffective. Yeah,...well how do you defeat an enemy WILLING to take on armor with just a double-barrel shotgun? And how do they destroy 10% of your entire armored inventory? Hmmmm?

Here we see one of the Ukrainian copies of the Israeli Negev SAW.

An MP5SD in Dnipro, with some Azov battalion boys. Ukraine's Border Guards had these, which is likely where this one originated.

Here we see a Russian soldier with a German MP40 liberated from an Azov battalion fighter in Donbas.

Here's a Ukrainian who has somewhere secured an MG42 (or is it an MG3?) to go with his POF 415.

An old Maxim and an RPK manning the checkpoint together.

Another SIG Virtus

NATO equipment is indeed making it over the borders into Ukraine. Here is a cherry M2 BMG in Lviv.

You have to look close to notice it, but this Ukrainian volunteer has captured a Russian MP-443 Grach 9mm service pistol.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

In the line of weapons captured isnt 6 and 7 a couple air rifles or am i stoned on my medication. If so now THAT'S badass.... tops WW2 poles on horses and spears
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here is a Polish border guard keeping an eye on Ukraine, with his "Grot" made by FB Radom. These have been replacing Beryl rifles in Poland since 2018. I had to look twice at this photo because at first it appeared to be another Remington ACR. And in fact, if I had to guess, I think the Polish design bureau may have ripped off Remington and copied a bunch of the ACR.