Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Guns of Ukraine war picture thread

Post by Suck My Glock »

Another Barrett MRAD .338 rifle, along with what appear to be some .50BMG rifles

Russian girls belonging to the "Russian Legion" fighting for Ukraine. Both are armed with AKSU-74s.

Another Russian Legion fighter for Ukraine, armed with a Remington 700 rifle in a precision chassis and a thermal optic.

3 more members of the free Russian Legion, armed with a couple of FN SCAR-Ls and an AK74. Despite being ethnically Russian, notice the guy with the AK is wearing a US flag patch (incorrectly, btw). Must be a fan. Probably an effort at psych warfare if he is KIA. Something for his fellow muskovites to flip out over if/when his body is discovered.

A Ukrainian International Legion volunteer from Taiwan uses an MRAD sniper rifle on a mission.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Among the weapons the Belgians sent to Ukraine were not just FALs and SCARs, but old mothballed Uzis in deep war reserve stockpiles that are no longer issued. And as a result of rifles being far more useful on the front lines, these have often been issued to soldiers in rear areas unlikely to see combat, as well as vehicle crews.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Here's an RPG being fired, right at the moment the booster charge has completed its burn and while the rocket is still flying forwards before its motor kicks in.

Here's a photo catching a 40mm grenade in mid-flight.

This photo shows troops being checked out on both the PKM and the MG3.

4 out of 5 modern Russian soldiers agree; suppressors are common and necessary items. You hear that, BATF? You hear that, Supreme Court? You hear that, Congress?

More Bravo Company rifles.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Slowly, more Belgian FN/FALs are showing up in theater.

A Ukrainian sniper and his Z-10 rifle.

Damn it kids, how many times has momma told you; no more shooting in the house!!

Another Czech PZD-556 SAW
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Battlefields like Ukraine are why guns get mud-tested. The struggle is real.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

3 American volunteers, 2 armed with SIG516s and the other with a U.S. supplied M4, on the banks of the Vovcha River, near Kurakhove.

There are a select few weapons we know Ukraine has on hand but have NOT been seen. One of them is the Galil Ace. The Ukrainian arms company FORT contracted with Israel to manufacture copies of not just the Tavor and the belt-fed Negev, but also the Ace in 7.62x39 & 5.56 variants and 7.62NATO as well. Here we see one of the FORT 229 .308 variants being inspected at a national guard facility before the war. It is unknown how many or few were manufactured. It is assumed that at some point, production was focused on the Tavor instead and production of the Ace stopped. But they are in inventory SOMEWHERE, or so one would think. I find it interesting that in all the photos I have perused looking at what rifles have shown up in Ukraine, I have seen a couple of older model original .308 Galils set up as marksman rifles, called the "Galatz",...but not a single Ace in any caliber.

Trophies. Formerly Russian.

NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Hands down my favorite thread on this forum - thank you to those posting - I don't do social media and I'm assuming that is where most of the posts come from.

Please keep them coming!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

NBC_LT wrote: April 25th, 2023, 8:02 am Hands down my favorite thread on this forum - thank you to those posting - I don't do social media and I'm assuming that is where most of the posts come from.

Please keep them coming!
You're welcome NBC_LT. I shall endeavor onward. Yes, I find these pics from primarily Twitter. Occasionally I also find some on Instagram and Reddit, but I'm not there very much at all. There's a few guys who post to Twitter a lot who scour the images coming from soldiers on both sides on their favorite social venues. For the Russians, it is Telegram and VK. For the Ukrainians, it is primarily Twitter and Telegram, but mostly Twitter. There is an awful lot of drone video footage, as well as videos of artillery, both incoming and outgoing on both sides. But I try to just keep it to small arms, unless something seems it might be particularly interesting.

In looking specifically for what is going on in the Ukraine conflict, I also end up seeing a lot of interesting gun stuff from elsewhere going on. But I haven't bothered including it because it would kind of muddy up the topic by posting gun pics from Syria and Burma and other conflicts.

Thanks for the note of support.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Among the other things from the West's technologies the Ukies are finding useful against Russia is the supposedly "obsolete" night vision camouflage pattern used in Desert Storm, which some refer to as "starlite". Apparently Russian NVGs are still generations behind what the west uses, and the Ukrainians have found that the old starlite pattern is still effective. Unfortunately, in daylight, it appears at a distance to the naked eye very similar to Russian "ratnik" pattern. So special operators have been careful to only go out wearing this at night, so as to prevent any friendly fire incidents.

Here is an adaptation fabricated to allow for use behind cover. The machinegunner sits below the wall, observing and sighting via the camera and LED display mounted on the lowered spade grips.

A volunteer from the Blackfeet Nation (native American tribe) joined the International Legion to defend Ukraine. The message inscribed on his RPG-7 means ‘his arrows always fly straight’.

A Canadian CADEX Tremor .50BMG rifle with suppressor, and an FN SCAR-L.

Russian sniper with his 12.7x108 KSVK bullpup bolt-action, and his spotter somewhere in Bahkmut.

Another Russian sniper in Bahkmut, with his suppressed folding stock SVD.

A Ukrainian sniper with his Z-10, which sports a NightForce optic. He also appears to have a Gen1 Glock 17 in his holster.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Right on the money Suck My Glock! One of my biggest regrets was not keeping the Starlight night camo from Desert Storm and Desert Falcon - had it issued twice and gave it back...

Seriously - this thread is really interesting to see how land warfare and individual weaponry is evolving - can't believe I'll have my 30 year Operation Restore Hope & Desert Falcon anniversaries this year!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Taking a tip from CMH awardee John Basilone and the 1919A6 Browning he inspired, Ukraine is taking a bunch of their numerous M1910 7.62x54R Maxims and removing the water jackets and converting them to air-cooled lighter versions to crudely approximate a GPMG.

Not only is there a mix of Russian and NATO rifles in Ukraine, but a similar mix of hand grenades as well. Here we see (from left to right) a German DM-51 with removable fragmentation sleeve, a Dutch NR20C1, a U.S. M67, a Russian RGO, a Russian RGD-5, and an old Russian F1. And these are just a sample of the most common ones. All sorts of stuff has been donated.

Driving a couple of Barrett MRADs to the front, along with their operators.

You bring down a Mig and everybody wants to get their picture taken.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A very uncommon Uintah bolt-action AR15 being employed in Ukraine. I have seen the .308 variant before. But this is the first time seeing the 5.56 model being used. In fact, it is the first 5.56 precision bolt-action being used at all that I have seen, since .308 would seem to be the minimum light caliber for use on the open plains. Likely a private purchase before the war or a donation from an American supporter.

Another DiamondBack semi-auto AR15 privately purchased that has been pressed into service. (Yes, I had to blow up the photo very large to be able to read the logo on the lower, but it is there.)

This happy lad from the 92nd Mechanized Brigade is pleased to have himself an HK416 with original mags. I have only seen one other HK416 in country, and it seemed it might have been a foreign advisor holding it, maybe,...it was unclear. But this fellow is definitely a local. Germany has not donated them. But plenty of other countries could have. Norway and France now issue the HK416, among others. Poland bought some before developing their GROT, and might have disposed of theirs with Ukraine. Portugal, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain and Estonia are all also supporters of Ukraine who have sent various weapons and ammo who also have HK416s in inventory. Who knows where this one came from? But in this mud season, it will likely get torture tested very soon.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yes, this abomination is real. A star light viewer not meant to be coupled with an optic, yet coupled with an optic anyway. As I have said before; Ukrainians are blood brothers to American rednecks.

A Ukrainian sniper employing an Italian Victrix Scorpio V .338Lapua rifle.

A Sako TRG22 outfitted with a TRG folding stock.

I have to make a correction. I have at least twice reported and identified some bolt-action AR rifles in theater as being made by Uintah Precision of Utah. I did so believing that no one else in the world made such a product. I have in fact myself been lusting to get my hands on a Uintah .308 upper since before the whole Ukraine war, and eventually will. But I just discovered that Zbroyar, the Ukrainian company that makes the Z-10 rifle copied after the AR-10, got their start back 2007 by first making the Z008, which is a bolt-action AR rifle. And in fact, they have been popular with Ukrainian sport riflemen ever since. But because they were all hand-fitted and made to order, they never became known much outside of Ukraine, and it seems Uintah Precision simply ripped off the idea for the American market here. Thus, it seems far more likely that these bolt-action AR rifles seen in country are not American made Uintah rifles, but in fact domestically produced Zbroyar products.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A pair of Polish WKW "Wilk" .50BMG bullpup bolt-action rifles.

This Ukrainian carries a rare CZ Scorpion Evo 3 A1 submachine gun, chambered in 9x19mm. It's likely a part of a recent military supply by the Czech Republic.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

A set of slavs slumbering on Sunday, sitting securely in their secret sanctuary, satisfied they are safe from stalking snipers sending supersonic slugs.

PKM with thermal vision near Vuhledar.