Top things I love/hate about desert shooting

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
brian10x
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Top things I love/hate about desert shooting

Post by brian10x »

What I LOVE about shooting in the desert:

>FREEDOM.
I have friends from other states that I communicate with, and when I tell them I drive out into the desert every weekend to go shooting, they are amazed when I tell them its totally legal. I've been shooting in the Arizona desert for 22 years now, and I'm always thankful for the little freedom we still have here.

>Weather.
When its between too hot and too cold, and even sometimes when it is, its just so breathtakingly beautiful out there.

>Suppressors!
It's so awesome to be in the open desert shooting naked. By naked, I mean without hearing protection. I just love sitting on my tailgate with a sound moderated 10/22 plinking away. Such a stress reliever.

>Finding brass.
I reload and I love seeing the glint of brass where the last guy left them. I'm more than happy to reduce pollution by picking up brass and taking it home to my stash.

>Varied targets.
On any given Sunday, I could be shooting paper, metallic targets, or potatoes! I love shooting spuds because they are cheap, explode well, and are biodegradable.

What I dislike about shooting in the desert:

> Getting up early to find a good spot.

>Not getting to my favorite spot early enough!

>Weather.
Sometimes its too damn cold. Sometimes its so hot I burn my hand reaching for a mag.

>Pollution.
Its those inconsiderate morons that shoot up old appliances that are going to get us kicked out of our favorite shooting spots.

>Long range shooting.
Hard to find spots where I can reach out past 50 yards or so. When I do, I'm nervous some yahoo is going to drive between me and my target.

>Cow pies and flies.
Damn flies ain't afraid of gunfire. If there's cows, there's cow sheet. If there's cow sheet, there be flies. Oh well.

I'd like to see what you guys would add to the list! If you are in (stinking commie leftist) Tucson, maybe I'll see you there. Look for the red Tacoma and the old fat bald grouchy son of a beech.

DoubleAlpha

Re: Top things I love/hate about desert shooting

Post by DoubleAlpha »

The lack of time pressure means you can stop and think between drills, consider where you might modify or enhance your drill, ponder where you can do better. Hard to do at the range with your buddies commenting or waiting to take your place on the slot. I am talking about run and gun practice here, not static precision shooting (which allows a bit more privacy even at the range).
Isnake

Post by Isnake »

Lol we were just talking about this. My sons and I went to Table Mesa new years eve to shoot. It rained but we said f*** it and kept going. Its been a long time since I had been there and its polluted as always. We hauled more s*** out then we came with for sure. We had a rancher Im guessing hauling a big opaque water tank in his pickup eyeing us. Then we had a guy with his dog in a Dodge pull up and start picking up our brass between rounds. That was kind of odd as he didn't ask but I did warn him it was military so it was gonna be a pain to reload. He was apparently recycling so it didn't phase him. When we went to leave we realized his dog was in our truck and muddy paw prints were everywhere. Its a hunting truck so we didn't really care, we were full of mud anyway. All in all a good time.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I hate the people I tend to meet desert shooting. I was out at Table Mesa last week, and it definitely attracts a certain crowd. At one point, the range went cold and we went out to swap some targets. A couple of guys decided that it would be a good idea to resume shooting while we were still out there. :angry-cussing:
Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

The only thing that bothers me, is that guy over from me??? Is he safe??
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

AZ_Five56 wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:55 pm I hate the people I tend to meet desert shooting. I was out at Table Mesa last week, and it definitely attracts a certain crowd. At one point, the range went cold and we went out to swap some targets. A couple of guys decided that it would be a good idea to resume shooting while we were still out there. :angry-cussing:
This is a symptom of the lack of open ground for shooting we used to enjoy here prior to 2000 or so. Growing up out here, all you had to do was drive away from town in any direction, and eventually you would be out amongst the orchards and ranches and open desert. But as people moved here, the land all got sold for subdivisions and the spots accessible by car got paved over. So now, anyplace like Table Mesa where you can still reach by 2-wheel-drive is accessible by the undesirable elements, and so that's where they go. Getting away from the idiots requires 4wd. Which is not to say you won't still run into idiots,...but the ratio is way less.

My secret spot I use now is actually technically within city limits. But as long as I don't use anything without a suppressor, nobody knows. That can't last, of course, and I'll eventually have to abandon it. But so far, if I only go there on weekdays,...I'm always alone and nobody sees or hears me. :shhh:
OMart

Post by OMart »

Haven't been desert shooting in awhile but what I hated the most was when someone I do not know pulls up right next to me and starts setting up to shoot. I used to go to a very small spot for pistol shooting that was just west of 339th Ave and Indian School when I lived in Buckeye. It was great for a small group but I usually shoot alone. The back drop was a gravel pile only about 6 or so feet high but had good enough depth that handgun rounds didn't penetrate completely. If I came out and someone was there I would move on because that seems like the polite thing to do. Some people have no manners though.

Did find a torched Nissan 350Z one Sunday morning though. Couldn't decide to shoot or call it in. I decided to fire off a few mags, then call it in. Waited for the deputies to arrive, asked if I needed to stay once I showed them where it was. They asked why I was out there and I told them to target shoot. They asked for my name and if the car was mine. I told them no and they said take off. So I went to 355th and found a spot.
Lucifer
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Lucifer »

It can be difficult to find a spot, but with 4wd it makes it easier even out by sycamore, at least for myself 4wd is key, and always picking up my brass and any shiny brass in common calibers.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Hard to practice your high/low angle shooting at the range
Attachments
PicsArt_10-11-04.39.52.jpg
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Drinking beer at an indoor range is frowned upon.
Blue109

Post by Blue109 »

Just love.
Attachments
PXL_20211113_170735475~2.jpg
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I generally have so much stuff to bring when I go shooting in the outdoors, that I just turn it into a 2-3 day camping trip. Less pressure to get up early and beat everyone to the "good spots". Also, I will never tell anyone where my "spot" is...you tell ONE person, and suddenly everyone knows about it, e.g. ruins it.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

minute i step outta truck to greet fellow shooters, smells like freedom :flags-usa:

Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I love the southern desert and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Other than trap and skeet shooting , the only time I have ever been to an established range was when I was in the service.
I get together with friends and go riding and shooting in the southern desert almost every Friday.
Have been doing it for years.
We don't go where everyone else goes and have never been bothered by other people.

There are thousands of miles of desert out there and thousands of places to shoot.

I grew up in Southern Arizona.
There is not a mountain or hill out there I haven't climbed or driven over .
All you have to do is get out there and find a place.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

In a previous life, I had a cabin with some acreage in west Virginia, and carved myself a 100 yard range on the side of the mountain. The annual effort to clear growth from that 100 yards was substantial. None of that here, just head for the public land.