Self-defense or murder? (video) Ruger PC carbine used in Texas on front porch

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Self-defense or murder? (video) Ruger PC carbine used in Texas on front porch

Post by smithers599 »

Still no charges? That really surprises me. What are they waiting for?

YNOTAZ

Re: Self-defense or murder? (video) Ruger PC carbine used in Texas on front porch

Post by YNOTAZ »

Rock Hardson wrote: November 27th, 2021, 12:57 pm Murder

So many other avenues to be taken
Yep, fire a shot into the ground or ND, either one with no threat of bodily harm. Add in if they were violating court ordered custody rules like the Teal guy accuses. It is a homicide.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

YNOTAZ wrote: December 10th, 2021, 8:43 am
Rock Hardson wrote: November 27th, 2021, 12:57 pm Murder

So many other avenues to be taken
Yep, fire a shot into the ground or ND, either one with no threat of bodily harm. Add in if they were violating court ordered custody rules like the Teal guy accuses. It is a homicide.
Yes, sir. Go inside and call the cops and stay inside. There shouldn't have been a gun put into play at all.

This fight was between the husband and ex-wife. Hard and costly lesson for the boyfriend.

No winners here. Kids will pay the price of everyone's stupidity
DoubleAlpha

Post by DoubleAlpha »

As much as bringing a carbine in the middle of a domestic dispute was as idiotic as it gets, why in the world did he make it worse by firing center of mass? Even as temper and emotions got the best of him and prompted him to fire, had he only fired at the legs or feet he would be much better off today.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Regarding shooting to wound in general.

Never fire at extremities. Never shoot to wound.
The movies arent reality.

Regarding similar cases to this one.

Never try to justify firing at extremities by saying it would make a murder not so bad.

Either you are justified to stop a deadly threat or your not.

The reasons are many. You are probably gonna miss, hit something or someone unintended, not stop the threat and have a person you think intent on killing you in your lap fighting over your weapon, have it used against you to show the need wasnt immediate and on and on.

Remedial study required.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

^^^
But, but, the President* said!
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

DoubleAlpha wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:39 am As much as bringing a carbine in the middle of a domestic dispute was as idiotic as it gets, why in the world did he make it worse by firing center of mass? Even as temper and emotions got the best of him and prompted him to fire, had he only fired at the legs or feet he would be much better off today.
Tell me you are from cali, without telling me you're from cali.
DoubleAlpha

Post by DoubleAlpha »

I trained force on force (with laser "bullets") extensively. Running aggressor wielding knife or bat (rubber of course) against laser bullet training gun firing at the legs. Most of the time the aggressor could not reach the good guy before getting pelted with red dots in the femur, multiple times. I was surprised myself at how even a green trainee, when given the basics and the focus, can put that red dot on a kneecap on the first attempt with a double action revolver, repeatedly. You're only letting the shot go at 5 yards on average, while retreating. I often played the guy with the knife. I can close 7 yards in a little over a second, and I can tell you it's not easy to close that distance without being hit at the legs. And I have a multi year background in bladed weapon manipulation, including teaching classes to the armed forces. Try that with an airsoft gun. You'll get your legs full of bb blisters before you can put your rubber knife in the belly of your airsoft buddy once. The target area in a femur is the size of a 2 liter. If you can't hit a 2 liter with a carbine in a second at 7 yards you should not have the carbine. All the discussions about "too dangerous to miss if you aim for the legs" deal with an aggressor shooting at you. Yes, but this guy was not shooting at him, was not even wielding a bat. In fact, it's arguable he was even posing a threat. He was just standing there. So he should have not shot. And I am not from California, never been. But I can tell manslaughter from self defence. He shot someone he was having an argument with. Good luck arguing that was self defence. So what could he have done instead? Shoot him at the legs. The second stupidiest mistake, but one that carry lighter sentences. Advantages? Having a chance to argue he did not intend to use lethal force, A much, much shorter sentence for causing bodily injury rather than death if the jury is not convinced of his case, etc.
I don't need to tell you the avery case shows bringing a long weapon into a brawl is a recipe for disaster. You are only handing the other party your gun to contend. This is why short stocking is thaught for close quarters and home defense.
But if you have done something that stupid and you still can, shoot for the legs and deal with the consequences. Shooting an unarmed man standing in front of you in the belly is just lazy. And that's why shooter has got a few sleepless night ahead of him now.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Well, laser bullets...
Dauph

Post by Dauph »

Sorry couldn’t resist
Attachments
660E53E7-5FE0-4E50-A4A0-80E470F2C627.jpeg
DoubleAlpha

Post by DoubleAlpha »

Not that laser but the laser used in training systems (of which various brands exist today) that have been found to have a near 100% skill-transfer on "first shot from the draw" drills.
As a number USPSA shooters have discovered during the ammo crunch and/or when ranges were closed (and particularly IPSC shooters in Europe where ranges closed for nearly a year during covid), your first-shot times (and point score) from the draw with a laser are nearly identical to the times and points you score with the actual ammo on the same gun (recoil happens after you pull the trigger). Not only that, but as one improves so will the others. Which means, and this is well known, that if you have trained to hit the A zone regularly in 1.5 seconds at 30 yards from the draw with the laser trainer, you'll do that time and score almost exactly when you load the same gun with an actual bullet at the range. And if it's the A zone on a mini target that you can hit regularly with the laser trainer, then you'll do on the range. Which in itself should be a good reason to buy a laser bullet and do drills rather than downloading Austin Powers another time (save if you are a pro backed by an ammo sponsorship deal, maybe).
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Unbelievable.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Wow. I am truly amazed.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Got away with it. Sheesh.