Silly & Stupid Experience at Cabelas buying a BP revolver..

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
paulgt2164
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Silly & Stupid Experience at Cabelas buying a BP revolver..

Post by paulgt2164 »

I was in the area (visiting the 5.11 store off McDowell, Chino work pants FTW....) and stopped into Cabelas. I typically haaaaaate the store because the gun department is always full of absolute dildos who insist on finger f*cking everything on the shelf and the salespeople are helpless but to cater - despite there being people who want to buy waiting. (even though Ammo AZ is the absolute award winning worst for people having to handle everything - I was there Tuesday and there were at least 3-4 people literally going to every gun and playing with it.....)

Anyways, per usual - ton of the aforementioned dildos per usual - but they did have Pietta Stainless 1858 revolvers on sale for ~349 and you can run the conversion cylinders in those. So as an impulse I decided to buy one.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Apparently - even though no law requires it - they have a "bill of sale / transfer" paper you have to fill out. I chuckled - whatever. I will fill this out just cause EMF has been out of stock for like a year.

So after the dude fills out my info and I circle a lot of "no" (basically the same questions as a 4473) he needed a manager sign-off. If that wasn't enough - they need 3 - yes Three - other people to initial the "paperwork."

Honestly if I hadn't already paid for it I would have wandered out. All four people that were involved not counting me were saying how stupid and a waste of time it was - so apparently it is a "corporate" thing. The whole mess validated why I hate the place, and it will probably be another couple years before I actually enter the place since I typically only go there for parking lot deals.

The 5.11 store though - very nice.

knockonit

Re: Silly & Stupid Experience at Cabelas buying a BP revolver..

Post by knockonit »

aw so i'm not the only one, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Rj
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I couldn't help but just laugh at the whole thing. So pointlessly stupid.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

They're no longer shipping them either despite it being totally legal.

A few years ago I got one shipped to California and now I can't even have one shipped to me in AZ. 🤦‍♂️

Fyi Muzzleloading forum is now where I buy and sell anything bp.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

paulgt2164 wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:23 pm I was in the area (visiting the 5.11 store off McDowell, Chino work pants FTW....) and stopped into Cabelas. I typically haaaaaate the store because the gun department is always full of absolute dildos who insist on finger f*cking everything on the shelf and the salespeople are helpless but to cater - despite there being people who want to buy waiting. (even though Ammo AZ is the absolute award winning worst for people having to handle everything - I was there Tuesday and there were at least 3-4 people literally going to every gun and playing with it.....)

Anyways, per usual - ton of the aforementioned dildos per usual - but they did have Pietta Stainless 1858 revolvers on sale for ~349 and you can run the conversion cylinders in those. So as an impulse I decided to buy one.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Apparently - even though no law requires it - they have a "bill of sale / transfer" paper you have to fill out. I chuckled - whatever. I will fill this out just cause EMF has been out of stock for like a year.

So after the dude fills out my info and I circle a lot of "no" (basically the same questions as a 4473) he needed a manager sign-off. If that wasn't enough - they need 3 - yes Three - other people to initial the "paperwork."

Honestly if I hadn't already paid for it I would have wandered out. All four people that were involved not counting me were saying how stupid and a waste of time it was - so apparently it is a "corporate" thing. The whole mess validated why I hate the place, and it will probably be another couple years before I actually enter the place since I typically only go there for parking lot deals.

So lets recap your post.
*You went into a store which by your own admission you hate for multiple reasons.
*Despite the fact you hate this store so much (for multiple reasons) you decided to give them $349.00 of your money.
*Then, when this store you hate so much (for multiple reasons) makes you jump thru ridiculous hoops, you just acquiesce to their nonsense because you “already paid for it” instead of CANCELING the sale in order to possibly send them a message they might understand thru their pocket book.
*But you’ll show them cuz’ “it will probably be another couple years before I actually enter the place”.

THAT’S THE WAY TO TAKE A STAND!

Here’s a news flash for you: the Pieta Stainless 1858 revolver wasn’t on sale for $349.00, your self respect was.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

I had the same experience at Scottsdale Gun Club.

I won an action for a couple of Glocks and got a call from one of the employees telling me that someone had transposed the serial number on one of the pistols and it was now on a 21 day hold, but I could come pick up the other one if I wanted to. I told the guy I would pick up both in 3 weeks when both were available.

I go in there at 5pm in a weekday and it was pretty dead in there. I filled out my 4473 and the employee went over it and then he put a master gage over the 4473 that had holes punched in it to see that I had marked all the yes/no questions correctly. No big deal I thought, even though I had never seen any gun store do that.
Then, 2 other counter employees had to verify that my answers were correct and then a manager had to verify it in a room in the back. So a total of 4 people verified my paperwork.

Everything was kosher and then the kid helping me had to get someone else to ring me up because he wasn't 21 years old.

What a fugging joke. I will never buy another firearm from SGC, and their prices are actually pretty decent.

I wasn't really mad or pissed, just felt like they were wasting my time quadruple redundancy checking my 4473
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am
paulgt2164 wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:23 pm I was in the area (visiting the 5.11 store off McDowell, Chino work pants FTW....) and stopped into Cabelas. I typically haaaaaate the store because the gun department is always full of absolute dildos who insist on finger f*cking everything on the shelf and the salespeople are helpless but to cater - despite there being people who want to buy waiting. (even though Ammo AZ is the absolute award winning worst for people having to handle everything - I was there Tuesday and there were at least 3-4 people literally going to every gun and playing with it.....)

So lets recap your post.
*You went into a store which by your own admission you hate for multiple reasons.
*Despite the fact you hate this store so much (for multiple reasons) you decided to give them $349.00 of your money.
*Then, when this store you hate so much (for multiple reasons) makes you jump thru ridiculous hoops, you just acquiesce to their nonsense because you “already paid for it” instead of CANCELING the sale in order to possibly send them a message they might understand thru their pocket book.
*But you’ll show them cuz’ “it will probably be another couple years before I actually enter the place”.

THAT’S THE WAY TO TAKE A STAND!

Here’s a news flash for you: the Pieta Stainless 1858 revolver wasn’t on sale for $349.00, your self respect was.
Yikes. That was a bit harsh.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am So lets recap your post.
Sure did - cause you never know - maybe things have changed.
That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am *Despite the fact you hate this store so much (for multiple reasons) you decided to give them $349.00 of your money.
Considering my usual places (like EMF) have been out of stock for well over a year - of course.
That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am *Then, when this store you hate so much (for multiple reasons) makes you jump thru ridiculous hoops, you just acquiesce to their nonsense because you “already paid for it” instead of CANCELING the sale in order to possibly send them a message they might understand thru their pocket book.
Sure did - and why? Cause I don't trust them to refund the money to my card in a timely manner. I wanted what I was purchasing so I chalked it up to a learning experience. Afterwards I was happy to leave negative reviews every where pertinent. I let the managers know how silly the process was (they agreed.)
That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am THAT’S THE WAY TO TAKE A STAND!
I make my stands where they count - and make a difference. Not at a big box store with some silly annoying unneeded procedures while buying a novelty item that the actual people employed at the location aren't subject to do anything about. I stayed classy, didn't get mad - left my feedback with management and let them know I wouldn't be back. If you want to jump up on a counter and proclaim loudly "I'M MAKING MY STAND HERE AND NOW" to a bunch of people that don't care in a place that won't apparently change that is cool and all if it floats your boat - but I prefer a more adult route and will expend the effort in a way that is more conducive.
That Guy wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 10:42 am Here’s a news flash for you: the Pieta Stainless 1858 revolver wasn’t on sale for $349.00, your self respect was.
Firstly, you don't have the experience to comment on my "self respect" so you can f*ck right off with that nonsense. You can just wander off from commenting in any of my threads if your chosen response is some sort of self-servicing rant/insult in a desperate attempt to sound like you are somehow fighting "the good fight" more than anyone else here while being a condescending dildo.

Like many here - I have been a member of this community through it's multiple reincarnations and have the pleasure of dealing with many, many people here. The best part is that everyone here that is active are nice, respectful adults that are a pleasure to interact with - and for the most part do quite a bit to "fight the good fight." Your username seems to sum your online self perfectly - cause there is always that one "that guy" that is a detriment to the community. Congrats on winning that award today. I somehow think it probably wasn't worth as much as you think it was. Hopefully your just having a sandy vagina day, or forgot your meds.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Hopefully your just having a sandy vagina day, or forgot your meds.

Lmfao 🤣 🤣 😂
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Rock Hardson wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:23 am I had the same experience at Scottsdale Gun Club.

What a fugging joke.
I will no buy anything from SGC without checking it 3 times myself….. Short story,

First, the counter guy was with SGC since shortly after they opened for several years. I recognized him. He has since departed or asked to leave.

My ex-partner a criminal, reason he is my ex, went in to buy a 1911 and an AR. He checked the 4473 that he is under court order for domestic violence, counter guy said OH no you have to change this which he did. Sold him the 2 weapons.

Two days later manager calls ex-partner, says must come back in and fill out a new 4473, which he does. Instructed, this time no cross-out just answer everything NO.

Two weeks later, my ex-partner walks into my office on a Thursday, saying he needs help. ATF called him, said he was a prohibited possessor and had to dispose of the two firearms to an FFL by the following Monday or an arrest warrant would be issued and they would come pick him up. He had to use an FFL so there would be a record of the transfer, no private deals.

Ex-partner went back to SGC to return guns, after all it was their F/U, they said they are used and could buy them back for around 35% of what he just paid for unfired, unused, firearms still in the box.

I helped him out, had a friend of mine, FFL, buy both for 45% of what he paid, smokin deal for us but shows SGC aint as professional as they appear and hasn't been for many years.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

I continue to check in w/Cabelas' from time to time, as I can occasionally find a fair deal.
My most recent time, was a used rifle from the "Gun Library".

The GL employee allows me to fill out the form and he checks it. Then, goes to get his manager for the second-check...Ok-dokey, as that is now all but routine anywhere in the industry. But, the same clerk asks me to fill out in internal Cabelas's form, also. Basically a bunch of BS that I am adult, I know what I am doing, and probably a bunch of legalease hold-em-harmless BS language, too.

Then, same clerk walks the gun up to the front gun registers, and parks it in a rack on the back wall. I have to wait my turn in the queue to be rung-up. Okay. A 3rd gent walks over and jacks with the rifle for no known reason, and returns it to the rack. When it's my turn, same 3rd guy brings it to a 4th guy who is actually going to take my money. However, NOT quite that simple.

Cashier guy puts the rifle butt-down on the floor, leaning against the case on his side. He then begins to check the paperwork AGAIN. He bumps rifle, knocking it to the floor. I immediately respond with a snidely-delivered, "Wow, thanks for the extra ding/s on the rifle." (or similar, LOL). He picks it up, sheepishly, with not so much as a look of regret my way, nor any acknowledgement of 'Sorry', or anything. Lays it across the counter this time, and gets back to the papers.

Well, lo and behold, cashier finds a MISTAKE. GL clerk transposed or missed a digit of my CWP # on the form where they insert the NICs response. Calls on the phone to someone with AWE-THOR-I-TAY, an determines he can write-in, then initial, a correction. At NO TIME will they allow me to remove the lock to check the action.

Yups, I get out to my whip, and unscrew the contraption off of the trigger. Checks out fine, thankfully. However, I do see a nice little shiny 'ding' on the right-hand ear of the front sight that WAS NOT THERE!

For an instant, I thought about marching it back in there...but, I was still hot-headed, and that whole thing would probably not have looked 'right'. I just sucked-it up and drove off.
Godly70
Banned
Banned

Post by Godly70 »

That's crazy !
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well its liberalism and gun control for sure, its creeping into everything in Arizona, a couple other sites, the neophytes want BOS, id requirement, your first born, ect. had a guy tell me its a requirement, when he mentioned he was from stockton, kinda said it all.
shame rights being eroded a tad at a time. The frog in the boiling water is coming true. go figure.

as for big box stores, used to enjoy visiting and sometimes a deal, but mostly to see the odd unit here and there, but dealing with idiots who have no idea how to handle a gat, is just too much.
I wonder how long it will be before they put locks and or take the firing pins out of units on display. uh oh, dare i mention that.

happy sunday, enjoy the day,
Rj
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

knockonit wrote: October 24th, 2021, 5:08 am I wonder how long it will be before they put locks and or take the firing pins out of units on display. uh oh, dare i mention that.

happy sunday, enjoy the day,
Rj
When C2 had their grand opening, I dropped in and they had a gaggle of SIGs on display. I talked to the SIG rep about several of them, he said every SIG on display had shortened firing pins.