Discussion on AZSAuctions.com site - is now live - buy/sell/trade

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
deadshot556
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Discussion on AZSAuctions.com site - is now live - buy/sell/trade

Post by deadshot556 »

So we can’t list items on this site anymore? That’s what this means?

deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

admin wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 7:08 am
Manitu wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 12:02 am I see the classifieds where it always was will it eventually be gone then I go to this new site for sales and buys?
Eventually, yes - that's the plan. Going to see how this works out.
Ah, should have kept reading. It might, but from what I have looked on the site, I honestly don’t know.
So another good thing bites the dust.
Oh well.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

deadshot556 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 1:39 pm So another good thing bites the dust.
Oh well.
huh?
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

admin wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 2:25 pm
deadshot556 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 1:39 pm So another good thing bites the dust.
Oh well.
huh?
What I meant was somethings are good the way they are, that's all I was getting at.
drjdog5150

Post by drjdog5150 »

I listed an item, tried a quick auction and figured when it was complete I would copy the expired ad and paste it into the classified ads. I could not find my old/expired one…I am just missing it?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like you only have a closed item (a shotgun).

There's an even easier way to re-list it. First off, you can set an item to auto-relist if it ends without anyone buying it as an auction. Or you can list it as a traditional classified without any end date (eg, "until sold").

You can go into your Account and click on "Selling" and then "Closed". You should see your item in there. You can either put a check in the box next to it and click "re-list" or you can click on the button next to it on the right that says "List similar" - on the resulting page, you can edit the item (like change it from an auction to a classified, for example - or any other parts) and then click the button to list it.
drjdog5150

Post by drjdog5150 »

Awesome, thank you for guiding me through that...well I was worried, but cool site!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

drjdog5150 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 1:13 pm Awesome, thank you for guiding me through that...well I was worried, but cool site!
Thanks!

It's getting more and more traffic and items on it!
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I can see floozies and volume dealers coming in and doing this like this...

Basher

Post by Basher »

I gotta be honest, I check enough sites as it is when I’m on the hunt for something, so having to register for, and manage an account at, another site has been a turn off for me, and thus far I’ve resisted doing so. I’m turning into a grouchy old man, apparently! I’ll get around to it eventually, you do turn out excellent sites, Admin!

Now, who moved my cheese…?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, there's 51 open classifieds on the new site - which is quite a bit more than we normally have here in the old classified ad forums, so people are definitely using it. At some point, I'll save some money and try to figure out the best way to do a "real" advertising campaign for the site to boost the traffic more.

As far as registering for a new site - I thought about federating AZS login for it, but didn't want to create a dependency. I did experiment with Google authentication, but for that to work, you'd still need to enter a password for the initial logon, so it seemed like the only steps it skips are having to type in a username and an email address - and I figured that at least 75% of gun-owners wouldn't want to 'link' a google account to an account they may use to buy or sell guns. *shrug*
lueker_10
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by lueker_10 »

Is there a lot of traffic on that site? I listed an item for sale but it didn’t tell me how many people viewed it. Also, the pictures had to be so compressed it was difficult to get good resolution. Is there a plan to get higher resolution pics?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The site is only a couple months old. I have done no formal advertising for it, other than on this site. As I posted right above your reply, it has more items for sale on it than this site would have typically had.

As for pictures, here: https://www.azsauctions.com/v2/faq
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

I hate to sound like an idiot but it appears to be unavoidable in this case. How do I leave feedback?

Going in through my account/feedback I can only find Pending Feedback and Feedback Left along with my feedback. I don't see any way of leaving new feedback.

I tried clicking the hyperlink (0) next to the seller with the result that only a page saying there was no feedback was displayed. I didn't see an FAQ either.

sorry... and thank you.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great question and you're definitely not an idiot! Unfortunately, if it was a classified ad rather than an auction, there is no mechanism to identify you as the purchaser of it since there is no "buy" button for a classified ad.

My reasoning is that I wanted the site to only be the mechanism to link a buyer and seller - I didn't want the site to be part of the transaction or a lynchpin for that transaction. I did experiment with a third option other than classifieds and auctions... that of a 'store' for each person as an option that would have a 'buy' button. I still have that code in the site, but have it disabled, as my other goal was to try to keep things as simple as possible.

I do realize that ideally, there'd be a way to leave feedback after a classified ad deal, but couldn't come up with a good way to implement that for classifieds without leaving it open for abuse (random people to leave feedback to boost reputation of an account without a legitimate deal).

I also was contemplating the idea of just removing the option for classifieds entirely and just making everything an 'auction' since sellers have the option to just auto-relist something if it doesn't sell as an auction.