Preferred Range Memberships

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
mallic
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Preferred Range Memberships

Post by mallic »

With Ben Avery's changing their fees and sign in policy to be extremely limited, I am looking at getting a membership somewhere so that I can go shooting when I want with less hassle. I am trying to decide which range membership is best. I am not concerned with training available, as when I want training I will just sign up for dedicated classes. Just looking to be able to shoot my pistols, rifles, and shotguns when I want and hopefully for longer than an hour.

PRGC:
Pros: Outdoors. No need for lane reservations.
Cons: I am in north Phoenix, so it's a bit of a drive.

Cowtown:
Pros: Outdoors. Bays instead of lanes. Open for later shooting, which is useful since I work nights. Closer than all other options than Shooter's World
Cons: expensive. Limited number of bays according to website. Bays rely on reservations.

Shooter's World:
Pros: closest range. Ammo and guns for sale on site.
Cons: Indoors. Have to reserve lane or wait until one frees up.

C2 Tactical:
Pros: unknown
Cons: Seems to offer the same services that I would be getting from Shooter's world for the level of package I would purchase, but is further away.

What is everyone's thoughts about the various ranges? I've shot at Shooter's World before, but not any of the other three.

Doc

Re: Preferred Range Memberships

Post by Doc »

PRGC: if you have already been there you know this. If not….

No one has more steel in the pistol bay than PRGC. Shooting paper gets boring. YOU are the RO so unless you yell at yourself no one else will. Or if you like paper, head over to the other dedicated pistol range. Rifles your thing? Ring steel from 200-500 or shoot paper at 100. Shotguns? We have 2 machines to launch clays. It’s a lot of fun, but you know that. Oh and we have a practical bay and a rimfire only dedicated line.

Call the RO Ben and get a tour set up.

It’s a drive but given the increased dangers of shooting in the desert, not only for the environment but your personal safety as well. And if you forget something you can hit walmart in the area and even have lunch afterwards. Not an option in the desert.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Shot at C2 Scottsdale ONCE. It's a fancier version of SW in Peoria. It was a busy day when I was in, and I was not impressed by the young-blood RSO's standing out there with us. Far, far too many safety violations going on. The one closest to me soon had his girly-friend out there under his tutelage. Talk about distractions! Oh, when my hour was up, they literally killed the power to my lane. Couldn't even retrieve the target!

SW Peoria is my go-to. I live 10mins from their main store, but it's a veritable sauna in there right now. No A/C, and their giant evaps are usesless in the summer humidity.

Years ago, I was a member at, and shot at PRnGC. I need to take the good Doc's advice, also.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Did caswells for years until it became intolerable due to lack of up keep, no r.o. at all often times, C2 much better in that regard in all fronts. I like pretty close to rio only complaint there is time it takes with hot range cold range but that is the way it works. Much cheaper on membership rates, so if 200 rounds or less for pistol I will go to C2 for speed of range. Often I make the day of it with water and food at Rio. I vote for outside overall.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I'm a member at C2 Tempe even though I live just a couple miles from PRGC. If I'm going to shoot outside, I'll drive to Wickenburg to hang out with my dad.
FireArmTom

Post by FireArmTom »

I also live in north Phoenix. I am a member at PRGC and Shooter's world. Mainly use SW for handguns and short range practice. PRGC is great if for practical pistol and rifle shooting. I have been doing a lot of NRL22 type shooting. I usually have the small bore range all to myself. You are able to bring a guest too. I go down there 4 to 5 times a month. I mainly go during the week and there are just a few people there.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

don't forget
https://www.rsscaz.com/

I've been a member of that one and
https://phoenixrodandgun.org/

for about 25 years

PRGC is more user-friendly for members, weekend morning only public hours means more members-only time, members can use a coupla other ranges too, rifle range faces south, club allows carry.

Rio has more acreage, main range is always busy and they require a process to get access to the other ranges. Rifle ange faces north (makes rifle competition more enjoyable) and has a great sporting clays range. no carry. you have to wear your glasses all the time even if you're in the parking lot eating lunch.

ya'll shoot good

Poole
mallic

Post by mallic »

Sounds like PRGC has the highest overall opinions. Surprised no one has tried cowtown
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

DevilDocAZ wrote: August 14th, 2021, 11:42 pm PRGC: if you have already been there you know this. If not….

No one has more steel in the pistol bay than PRGC. Shooting paper gets boring. YOU are the RO so unless you yell at yourself no one else will. Or if you like paper, head over to the other dedicated pistol range. Rifles your thing? Ring steel from 200-500 or shoot paper at 100. Shotguns? We have 2 machines to launch clays. It’s a lot of fun, but you know that. Oh and we have a practical bay and a rimfire only dedicated line.

Call the RO Ben and get a tour set up.

It’s a drive but given the increased dangers of shooting in the desert, not only for the environment but your personal safety as well. And if you forget something you can hit walmart in the area and even have lunch afterwards. Not an option in the desert.

Let's go!
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

RIO SOLADO SPORTSMAN'S CLUB

https://rsscaz.com/
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I was a member at PRGC for years but at the time you couldn’t use the practical bays outside of competition. So I couldn’t draw from a holster, couldn’t transition between multiple targets, couldn’t bring my own steel (they didn’t have any steel back then outside of the Thursday night steel shoots), and couldn’t shoot machine guns. I kept renewing for a few years before realizing that I hadn’t used the range since last renewal.

If members can do practical or steel shooting on their own, I might need to give them a shot again. It would save time not having to setup and tear down my own steel in the desert.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Abbey wrote: August 18th, 2021, 9:21 pm I was a member at PRGC for years but at the time you couldn’t use the practical bays outside of competition. So I couldn’t draw from a holster, couldn’t transition between multiple targets, couldn’t bring my own steel (they didn’t have any steel back then outside of the Thursday night steel shoots), and couldn’t shoot machine guns. I kept renewing for a few years before realizing that I hadn’t used the range since last renewal.

If members can do practical or steel shooting on their own, I might need to give them a shot again. It would save time not having to setup and tear down my own steel in the desert.
It’s night and day different. After the pissing match things got better. The fudds are dying off and the fun stuff is taking over still no machine gun for 50BMG allowed
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

I'm a member of PRGC, have been for a while. I'm also out in Waddell so its a small drive for me. I'll admit this past year I didnt even go once, between the covid rules and work schedule change, I just never had a chance to go. *throw in the reloading components drying up as well.

I thought about going to cowtown recently though. Mostly cause I've been into long range precision shooting lately. At PRGC, i USE to be able to atleast use the 300 yard range pretty regularly (due to the time/days id go) and sometimes it was quiet enough to shoot at 500 yards. From what I hear now, the 300 yard is pretty much useless except for service rifle practice/competitions since new bays are just to the east of the line. I just can't get over the price tag of their memberships.
Doc

Post by Doc »

azmp5 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 3:30 pm I'm a member of PRGC, have been for a while. I'm also out in Waddell so its a small drive for me. I'll admit this past year I didnt even go once, between the covid rules and work schedule change, I just never had a chance to go. *throw in the reloading components drying up as well.

I thought about going to cowtown recently though. Mostly cause I've been into long range precision shooting lately. At PRGC, i USE to be able to atleast use the 300 yard range pretty regularly (due to the time/days id go) and sometimes it was quiet enough to shoot at 500 yards. From what I hear now, the 300 yard is pretty much useless except for service rifle practice/competitions since new bays are just to the east of the line. I just can't get over the price tag of their memberships.
You are correct. They changed the rules. At first I was irritated that 300/500 had restricted use times but after seeing how BUSY the new pistol bay gets not to mention you had to clear everyone off the 200yd line and deal with “hey man I just got here and I really need to zero my hunting rifle”

Now it’s “tough s***, move your s***, it’s not time for 200yd, Pistol bay, bow and arrow bay…..now we have our time and they are forced to respect it.

Just use the 300yd or the 500yd.

As for Cowtown, their square bays are just dirt, no stands or anything that I’ve ever seen. The long range looks bad ass but those prices keep me away. Besides they don’t have a mile range so it’s not really “long range” for a modern rifle, ammo or glass.