What happened to GunsArizona

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

What happened to GunsArizona

Post by Boriqua »

https://gunsarizona.com/
That was my favorite buy/sell site. I have recommended it here at least 4 times. Had made a few sales there before the armslist change and I generally just liked to check the sales and see what prices were and oogle over guns. I love the format.

Recently I listed an ad for the gun I have on the for sale board here. It was three four days of scammers and weirdos. I liked the old backpage better now. Here was the weirdest of the reach outs and I had three of them.

Guys would write and ask questions about the gun. They were all vague generic questions and then I would get .. can you send me pictures ..where I would tell them the ad had 7 pictures. They would claim not to remember what ad it was since they had looked at so many and ask me .. "what is it your selling again"

When I would write back and say I would pass They would write back and say they had cash they just need to know what gun it was. ..

Have you ever written or called someone on an Ad not knowing what you were writing or calling about ... yea neither have I. Had three people do this?

Didn't know what to make of it and I don't want to cast any disparagement on gunsarizona or its staff because they cant monitor every communication and shouldn't but ... it seemed like maybe people were just looking to buy guns, any guns and more than one. Could be just for resale here or in other states but something didnt smell right.

Then I received an inquiry from another guy who also didn't seem to know what he had written me about or what I was selling. I had one email written as contact on the site but when I responded I responded from a little used email account I keep just for such things. So they write to me on the email in the ad and I respond though this other email account. After I realized he too was off I said no thanks and I got two more emails from other people to the little used account only he had.

So .. tell me... because my antennae are carefully tuned but maybe a little over zealous. Am I just being paranoid and there is a reasonable explanation?

My other sales on gunsarizona were simple. "Hey I am interested in your ______" "is it still available"
"yes it is" " will you take $_____" No but I will take $____" great when can you meet"
Time given... done! meet the guy he goes over it and sale made.

I pulled the ad after about 4-5 days. Bummer

Its not like anything in my life will change if I dont sell it. I would like to sell it but its not like I wont be able to buy groceries. Just the first time out here in 16 years with all the selling and buying that I have done that I had so much weirdness. Maybe armslist is on to something with their pay as you go policy maybe I just am a little sensitive to bull$hit havimg grown up in the Bull$hit capital of America
Last edited by Boriqua on August 5th, 2021, 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

rockbronco

Re: What happened to GunsArizona

Post by rockbronco »

The spam buying/selling thing has gotten ridiculous over the last couple years, I want to say Im surprised anyone falls for the trap but it happens every day. I almost despise selling anything anymore let along a firearm. If its not for the weirdos and spam attempts its some fool that wants to offer you half of asking and gets mad when you tell them no.

Ive always had good experiences here and typically exclusively buy and sell here if Im in the market, Sure it may take a little bit to find the right buyer but I would rather avoid the nonsense of some of the other places.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

GA remains a great site, IMHO. HOwever, you are correct about the snakey queries on your stuff.
Sounds like your Spidey-Sense is in good working order. Just need to put up with it, to some level.
bryanearl
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by bryanearl »

Hey, I run the Guns Arizona Classifieds website. If you list items on any gun classifieds these days, you will have to deal with constant scammers. It's unfortunately just the way it is.

We monitor every item that is posted on the website and research each and every one to see if we can identify it as a scam. For that matter, we delete upwards of 50+ scam ads and ban ~ 15-20 scammer users each and every day (7 days a week). It takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

The one thing we have no control of is the communication between users, as that is completely private. So, definitely a bummer that you are getting hammered by scammers, but you won't find it any different elsewhere... You will just find other platforms that aren't nearly as well run and don't put in nearly as much work as we do.

Good luck out there and STAY SAFE WITH YOUR SALES!
azgunowner
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by azgunowner »

bryanearl wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:38 am Hey, I run the Guns Arizona Classifieds website. If you list items on any gun classifieds these days, you will have to deal with constant scammers. It's unfortunately just the way it is.

We monitor every item that is posted on the website and research each and every one to see if we can identify it as a scam. For that matter, we delete upwards of 50+ scam ads and ban ~ 15-20 scammer users each and every day (7 days a week). It takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

The one thing we have no control of is the communication between users, as that is completely private. So, definitely a bummer that you are getting hammered by scammers, but you won't find it any different elsewhere... You will just find other platforms that aren't nearly as well run and don't put in nearly as much work as we do.

Thank you for giving us an update on what you are doing to protect the website. It truly is a bummer that there are so many scammers out there. Armslist is unfortunately the same way now. Scammers are getting so bold that they even put phone numbers in ads and respond.
I was texting someone a year ago about a glock and he wanted to meet in Casa Grande, since he was in Tucson and I in Peoria. I drove all the way out there after confirming it was still on. He texted me once I got there that he needed a deposit before meet, I knew it was all down hill from there. Super unfortunate that these types of people are out there.
After that I told the guy I was going to report his ad (and did along with a bunch of friends). He somehow was able to get my armslist account locked by reporting me. We were going to do a trade so he knew what my account was. They must have some type of bot to report you a thousand times. His post was never removed and I made a new account.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

bryanearl wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:38 am Hey, I run the Guns Arizona Classifieds website. If you list items on any gun classifieds these days, you will have to deal with constant scammers. It's unfortunately just the way it is.

Make no mistake ..I don't blame you, staff or the format. Guess it's just a sign of the times.
Think I will stick to sites that show transaction feedback or are pay for sites
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

SCAMMERS SUCK ASSHOLES.

I used to be more active buying and selling. I’ve been on this and the original site since 2005. (If I recall correctly)

I’ve never had issues here. But I’ve had issues on most of the others. Mostly when I go to try to make a deal, and you get shady replies. Oh I moved to this other state. If you can send $500 I’ll hold it for you. Or no, it’s not the California model. 1886 engraved. One side has deer. Other side has the state of California on it. But he wouldn’t send a pic of other side. I dropped it. Later I see him selling again in another state same pics.
brian10x

Post by brian10x »

azgunowner wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:53 am

Thank you for giving us an update on what you are doing to protect the website. It truly is a bummer that there are so many scammers out there. Armslist is unfortunately the same way now. Scammers are getting so bold that they even put phone numbers in ads and respond.
I was texting someone a year ago about a glock and he wanted to meet in Casa Grande, since he was in Tucson and I in Peoria. I drove all the way out there after confirming it was still on. He texted me once I got there that he needed a deposit before meet, I knew it was all down hill from there. Super unfortunate that these types of people are out there.
After that I told the guy I was going to report his ad (and did along with a bunch of friends). He somehow was able to get my armslist account locked by reporting me. We were going to do a trade so he knew what my account was. They must have some type of bot to report you a thousand times. His post was never removed and I made a new account.
FYI, just so ya know. I'm in the shithole we call Tucson, I meet guys in Casa Grande all the time, don't need a deposit. Not all of us are scumbags.
azgunowner

Post by azgunowner »

No one said people from Tucson are scumbags???? My brother goes to U of A and lives there. We are just fed up with scammers. It has nothing to do with people from Tucson. I'm not even sure how you come up with a response like that from my post. Have a good one.
brian10x

Post by brian10x »

You misunderstood me. I wasn't saying you thought we all were scumbags.

However, we have this mayor that is pretty scumbaggery.