Colorful firearms

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
paulgt2164
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Colorful firearms

Post by paulgt2164 »

redj wrote: May 21st, 2021, 9:10 am I think it is a stupid idea and doesn't do a bit of good for gun owners and how others look at them.
No good can come from something like this.
Actually you couldn't be more wrong.

Heavily customizing firearms has lead to what I am sure is a noticeable increase in not only firearms ownership but also the ancillary industry that supports it. Things that inspire these crazy custom guns (videogames, movies, etc) are increasing the amount of firearms owners - and it is usually a "younger" generation. How is any of that "no good?"

Why do you think companies that make different colored accessories/parts and coatings have been booming? Not everyone who buys Cerakote is buying boring ol' FDE tan. There is a reason they offer so many colors. Look at all the shops that have popped up offering the service. In the last few years look at the number of accessories and parts being offered in "non tactical" colors....Go to any gunshop that actual cares what customers buy and you will see things like red/blue/green/white handguards, grips, rails, etc. How many decades have crazy custom grips been a thing?

Even manufacturers realize the importance of firearms customization. Example - Kriss and Ruger both offered white firearms. You could get a Ruger AR with white furniture, and a Kriss Vector that was white/black. Why do you think? Within .000045 seconds of them coming out they were immediately labeled "Stormtrooper" models and people snatched them up to make Star Wars themed firearms out of them. Pretty cool if you ask me. There have been tons of companies as of late offering firearms like 1911s with "warbird" style paint jobs, I seen a custom glock company was offering kits to make your glock look like the ones "deadshot" uses in the crappy movie Suicide Squad.

Hate to break it to you, but it is only going to get cooler - 3D printing is only going to make firearms customization even more interesting. I have been printing my own custom parts for nearly a decade.

Some of you guys need to realize that the purpose of every single firearm on the face of the earth isn't necessarily home defense or to be taken to WW3. Seems some of you forget they can actually be *gasp* fun.

As far as it being an accident waiting to happen? Well if people *gasp* followed the simple safety rules then it wouldn't be an issue. Something tells me the people who might have an safety issue with a themed firearm probably would with a "normal" firearm. I hate to break the news but I am willing to bet even in ten years time the number of firearm incidents raised by themed firearms is still going to be a fraction of incidents compared to normal ones. Just like cars - modified / customized cars account for a tiny percentage of vehicle "accidents." How many of us ran around our neighborhoods with toy guns that looked real? People making real guns that look like toy guns is LESS of an issue - especially if they handle and store them properly in their situation. The though that they will be an issue cause they look different is just an excuse to try to justify your opinion.

This forum is great, and every member I have met I liked - but some of you guys are really, really dating yourself. Sounds like :

"Damn those whippersnappers and their brightly colored firearms and 'letric cars and their oh-so-organic foodstuffs - when we were growing up you could only have black metal and wood furniture! Thats why they called it furniture gerdrammit! Now you gots these ikea guns and this interwebz things and I don't know how any one is gonna survive ww3 anymore.

Thats how some of you sound. Which is fine - no disrespect - but just so you are aware......

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:46 am
kenpoprofessor wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:23 am
redj wrote: May 21st, 2021, 9:10 am I think it is a stupid idea and doesn't do a bit of good for gun owners and how others look at them.
No good can come from something like this.
I bet you're a big defender of the NRA (Negotiable Rights Association) as well, huh??
Clyde
I just don't think any good can come from trying to make a real gun look like a toy.
I personally think it is a stupid idea.

You can have your opinion and I can have mine.
That is one of the nice things about this country. So far anyway.
That is something you and some of the others here seem to be forgetting.

I swore an oath and served 11 honorable years so that you could be so "particular" with that opinion, but that oath means something to me. It's folks like you who poo poo the idea of doing such that I'm more concerned with. Honestly, it's not much different than any demonrat.

Clyde
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: May 26th, 2021, 9:01 am
redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:46 am
kenpoprofessor wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:23 am

I bet you're a big defender of the NRA (Negotiable Rights Association) as well, huh??
Clyde
I just don't think any good can come from trying to make a real gun look like a toy.
I personally think it is a stupid idea.

You can have your opinion and I can have mine.
That is one of the nice things about this country. So far anyway.
That is something you and some of the others here seem to be forgetting.

I swore an oath and served 11 honorable years so that you could be so "particular" with that opinion, but that oath means something to me. It's folks like you who poo poo the idea of doing such that I'm more concerned with. Honestly, it's not much different than any demonrat.

Clyde
The best part is the people in here saying "it isn't good for gun owners" and making a stink about it being dangerous.

Yet they are the same people who when someone is killed with a firearm cry (rightly) "Stop blaming an inanimate object!" yet someone makes a nerf, star-wars, etc themed firearms and all the sudden it is "The inanimate object is a problem, blame it!"

Cause real guns have never looked like toy guns and toy guns have never looked like real guns right?

Cracks me up how some of these people who are so adamant about "shall not be infringed" will gladly throw that out the window when trying to pass of their personal opinion on what other people do with their property solely on "personal taste." KInd of sad actually.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

AZ1182 wrote: May 26th, 2021, 10:11 am
Serious question, do you get upset when you see a picture of any gun not in a holster or on safe, and think that it too is an oops ready to happen?

Accidents, by their very nature, are rare. Accidents mean it was beyond human control. Now negligence, that's a whole other topic. Most "incidents" are negligence, human intervention being the cause.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
redj

Post by redj »

Clyde
So since you swore an oath , that makes your opinion more relevant than mine ?
All I said was that I think making a real gun look like a toy is stupid and no good can come from it.
According to you this makes me a democrat ?
What happened to your oath that you served so honorable for that gives me the right to my opinion.
If making a real gun look like a toy gun is such a good idea to you , could you give me one example of how it can possibly be a good idea.

Oh and by the way , I also served my time honorably with 3 tours in the jungle.
I believe I have as much right to my opinion as you do to yours.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm

All I said was that I think making a real gun look like a toy is stupid and no good can come from it.
What happened to your oath that you served so honorable for that gives me the right to my opinion.
If making a real gun look like a toy gun is such a good idea to you , could you give me one example of how it can possibly be a good idea.

Stupid people are entitled to stupid opinions, even me. I don't actively engage in telling folks it's a bad idea to do something if I'm not aware of the direct, immediate, and known consequences. Until then, I STFU and let folks get on with their lives. Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness I believe was the term used .

Clyde
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Clyde

redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm could you give me one example of how it can possibly be a good idea.

Sure.
Cause someone wants to. Same good idea as modifying any other property that an individual owns. You know, that whole freedom thing.

Plain and simple. By your mentality no one should modify or customize anything.

You seem to gloss over everyone else's well made points in how you are wrong and insist on the pissing match over whose opinion matters more (news flash - neither.) Hate to break it to people but it doesn't matter if someone sat on a couch whackin' their pud all day while watching designing women (Annie Potts - oh my) or if they were single handedly fighting off the Vietcong with a pair of chopsticks and a rolled-up "my little pony" poster, or stuck in the desert cleaning sand outta the squad's sphincter with a poopsickle stick. Everyone's opinion has the same value.

So I ask again.

I bet you say every time there is a firearm involved in a crime "Don't blame the gun, don't blame the inanimate object" - yet somehow because something doesn't fit your "taste" you are more than happy to do just that - blame the inanimate object for being "dangerous." You see the hypocrisy here?

Also, since there are probably literally at this point tens/hundreds of thousands (or more) firearms that you would think "looks like a toy" please enlighten us on the numbers to back up your theory that having a whimsical looking firearm is a "bad idea." Plenty of guns look like toys, and plenty of toys look like guns - yet somehow the percentage of things that have happened "badly" because of which are fractions of a percent tiny.

The teeeeeny tiny percentage of idiots who would make a firearm into something that looks like a nerf gun, or look like rainbow brite's dildo and leave it out for a kid are the same dingleberries who would do the exact same with a "normal" looking gun. And if you have kids, know anything about kids, or have even seen a kid for more than 36 seconds you will know both are equally appealing to a child who hasn't been taught the correct life lessons.

You can not like them - thats fine - but when you make statements like "not good for the gun community" and "bad idea" in relation to negligence - you are flat out completely wrong.

Pretty sure bringing younger people into the 2A fold is a good thing. I have a couple friends who have pretty much "came over to our side" politically and 2a wise solely because they seen some of these modified guns and it piqued their interest enough to actually let me take them shooting. Pretty sure the companies that have grown or popped up to support the "new" facet of the industry is a good thing. Pretty sure the choice of individualization and customization is a good thing. Pretty sure people learning new skills and actually doing things with their hands - is a good thing.
Last edited by paulgt2164 on May 26th, 2021, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redj

Post by redj »

Because I can.
Because I want to.

I knew that one was coming. I also think that is a stupid answer.

I have my opinion and you have yours. Live with it.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

redj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 7:35 pm Because I can.
Because I want to.

I knew that one was coming. I also think that is a stupid answer.

I have my opinion and you have yours. Live with it.

How dare people for wanting/doing things, that we can do cause we have the freedom to. What a concept. Seems you have an issue with freedom, and a problem with facts. You sure your residing in the correct country friend?

Lol.
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I’m just saying that there is always stupid people out there. I’m not saying any of you personally, just that there are stupid people that are less than careful in the general public. But really, I could care less what the gun looks like, nerf gun, Star Wars stormtrooper, etc. I believe anyone is guaranteed the right to own whatever gun you want.