Getting the hang of casting lead slugs

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
vtachrn
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Getting the hang of casting lead slugs

Post by vtachrn »

I think I got the hang of casting for my 54 cal muzzleloader.

Only problem that I seem to have is running the furnace wide open and the lead collecting oxide quickly with high temps. I seem to be fluxing and scooping a lot of crap out of the lead with higher temps required for the minie ball mold.

Left to right: 400 grain wad cutter? (not sure but its a fence post looking slug), 400 grain minie ball, 380 grain REAL bullet.
cast1.jpg

rbt50

Re: Getting the hang of casting lead slugs

Post by rbt50 »

they look good
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

Nice. I have all the casting equipment but haven’t started yet. There’s a lot of science involved to get it right.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Do you use pure lead for those, or an alloy?
brian10x

Post by brian10x »

Reloading section, maybe?
samnev

Post by samnev »

I used wheel weights for all my casting. Just make SURE you have adequate ventilation when casting. Those fumes could cause a health problem if you cast over a long period of time (years).
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

Old Jeff H wrote: May 4th, 2021, 7:10 am Do you use pure lead for those, or an alloy?
Pure lead. I have not had a chance to check the hardness of the "pure" lead. The metal is from Roto metals and can be scratched with a thumb nail.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

samnev wrote: May 4th, 2021, 12:34 pm I used wheel weights for all my casting. Just make SURE you have adequate ventilation when casting. Those fumes could cause a health problem if you cast over a long period of time (years).
I only cast outside, no way in hell am I playing with lead fumes in any kind of enclosed space. Plus when you flux the lead, the large flames kind of make it a requirement to be an outside event.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I casted in my garage directly in front of a very large widow with 2 other large windows open + the fan just behind me going full speed and the garage door open. But outside would have been better but there was no way I could have done that in my former Prescott home.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Your slugs look pretty good to me. I would not hesitate to shoot ‘em.

I cast inside my garage right inside the roll up door. I have a fan that pulls the fumes from the pot outside. I bought a bunch of pre blended bars using the Lyman #2 recipe. I wanted to make it easy on myself while I learned how to cast consistently. The hardness runs around 15-18. I get pretty good consistent results with my casting these days. I am still trying to get powder coating to a point where I am happy with the results. So far I have only cast handgun boolits. I have not tried casting for my rifles yet.
Flash

Post by Flash »

vtachrn wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:01 pm
samnev wrote: May 4th, 2021, 12:34 pm I used wheel weights for all my casting. Just make SURE you have adequate ventilation when casting. Those fumes could cause a health problem if you cast over a long period of time (years).
I only cast outside, no way in hell am I playing with lead fumes in any kind of enclosed space. Plus when you flux the lead, the large flames kind of make it a requirement to be an outside event.
I started casting when I was 9 years old inside a pretty tightly sealed house in Alaska in the winter. Did it for years and tests show insignificant amounts lead, all in the normal range.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Flash wrote: May 5th, 2021, 9:46 am
vtachrn wrote: May 4th, 2021, 4:01 pm
I started casting when I was 9 years old inside a pretty tightly sealed house in Alaska in the winter. Did it for years and tests show insignificant amounts lead, all in the normal range.
I may not be remembering this correctly but I think I read somewhere that most lead poisoning cases are from ingestion and not breathing it in. I still take all sorts of precautions myself. I also make sure I I don’t put my hands in my mouth and wash my hands thoroughly when I have been casting.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I cant speak to the issues you are having with the process but .. damn they look good!!
marlin39a

Post by marlin39a »

I flux twice. Get the mold preheated by keeping a corner in the mix. Usually get good bullets quick.
Flash

Post by Flash »

High Standard wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:06 am I may not be remembering this correctly but I think I read somewhere that most lead poisoning cases are from ingestion and not breathing it in. I still take all sorts of precautions myself. I also make sure I I don’t put my hands in my mouth and wash my hands thoroughly when I have been casting.
You remember correctly. You're at a much bigger risk simply breathing while shooting in dead still air than from casting indoors.

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics ... ain%20lead.

How does lead get into the body, and how is it measured?
Lead can get into your body by consuming contaminated water or food, or from breathing fumes or dust that contain lead.