Youtuber "Kentucky Ballistics" nearly dies when his .50BMG explodes in his face

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
AR-15Man
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Youtuber "Kentucky Ballistics" nearly dies when his .50BMG explodes in his face

Post by AR-15Man »

Wear your safety glasses folks.

pneuby

Re: Youtuber "Kentucky Ballistics" nearly dies when his .50BMG explodes in his face

Post by pneuby »

Absolutely astonishing, and a reminder of Who's really in charge. Amen, Brother.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

one lucky sob for sure, but using questionable rounds, is well. don't have to go there as we all should know, its touted regularly in different threads, un known orgin of production can be an issue, proven here,

good on him living thru it
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I don't need the tee shirt ... I want to know what glasses he had on!!!
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Boriqua wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:59 am I don't need the tee shirt ... I want to know what glasses he had on!!!
Yep, I think he's got an endorsement deal locked on that one!
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Suck My Glock wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Ben7 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:06 pm I’ve never heard of those Slap rounds before now.
Yeah, that was a mid 80's development. I think it stood for Saboted Light Armor Piecing. The idea was to try to use hyper-velocity sub-caliber projectiles to better perforate APCs and other light armor at urban battlefield distances. They sliced through steel like hot butter, but as you saw in the video, accuracy was always poor, and ultimately was the prime reason the program was abandoned.
That specific round was a Sabotaged Light Armor Piercing round.
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Azgunlover69 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:14 am
That specific round was a Sabotaged Light Armor Piercing round.
Good one
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

AR-15Man wrote: April 30th, 2021, 3:25 am Wear your safety glasses folks.
Yes sir, I learned long ago as much of a pain in the ass they are put them on. I would be missing an eye by now If I didnt wear some form of eye protection.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

That gentleman is extremely fortunate all things considered.

Those 50 BMG sabot rounds he had didn't look like the original ones I've seen. They likely weren't the original ones as some reloaded ones were out there when sabots were available. Also the length of the sabot means not all 50's can chamber them safely as they seat longer. That'll also cause over pressure even if they didn't have them wildly overloaded.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Holy!!!!
That couldn't have gone better for being a bad of a catastrophic failure as it was.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

brandyspaw wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:23 am That gentleman is extremely fortunate all things considered.

Those 50 BMG sabot rounds he had didn't look like the original ones I've seen. They likely weren't the original ones as some reloaded ones were out there when sabots were available. Also the length of the sabot means not all 50's can chamber them safely as they seat longer. That'll also cause over pressure even if they didn't have them wildly overloaded.
He is aware of the issue chambering them in standard .50 barrels - he has different ones for that rifle and mentioned he had the correct barrel in the gun for the SLAP rounds.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I’d be out the second I realized how that thing worked.

Yeah I’m cautions.
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

HOLY BAGEEZUS! He is one lucky MF.
Lwstarks

Post by Lwstarks »

I had an m1 garand that happened kinda like that. I was lucky that I just had to have some shrapnel removed but no life threatening injuries like him. It is amazing how fast he’s recovering; out of the hospital in 8 days is so quick!
BloodNGuts

Post by BloodNGuts »

That is crazy. Glad he will be ok.