Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Red Dot on Handgun - Sharing Experiences

Post by Cbvanb »

I used to be wickedly good with iron sights, but eventually age caught up with me and the front sight is just a blob for me these days. So I tried a red dot on a Glock 9mm, and I’m never going back to irons. I had the same problem picking up the dot on the initial draw, and learned that you must still align the iron sights in some fashion first, to find the dot. After I have it my dominant eye seems to hold it in view no matter how rapidly I shoot. I’m probably not quite as accurate as I used to be with irons, but that could also be an age/lack of practice factor. I’m still pretty close though, and definitely faster. I have four 9mm and one 10mm equipped with red dots, plus two on my heavy Africa rifles, and I’m fighting the urge to mount one on a revolver.

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Flash »

I also have trouble picking up the red dot on the draw but after that it's easy. It definitely reduces the size of the groups.
87jeep

Post by 87jeep »

I found it was quicker to find the dot if I had a tall front sight.

I went back to irons, just me.

Carry on
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Both of my carry guns have RMR's on them. I shoot a equal number of rounds through each pistol on every range session. I now have 65,000 rounds through each pistol. Not a single failure on either optic. I also have a pair of carry pistols set exactly the same way, both carry pistols get a mag a week shot through them as well. Never going back to irons
Flash

Post by Flash »

OTOH, I absolutely love red dots on PCCs, MPX handguns and ARs.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I really want to like them. I spent a lot of money trying. I am too set in my mechanical ways, it seems. I may yet try again, but only if recreational shooting returns...if ever.
They are cool devices either way.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

To the OP and AZ1182, RDs are a massive learning curve, but it's just the whole practice practice practice thing.
Acquiring the dot was the hardest part, pops up easier if you stick it right in front of your face then press out.
As far as acquiring goes, Holosun makes a dot(chevron in this model) and circle, of which the circle size is adjustable, which gives you a reference point to the "unfindable"dot.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yip, practice, and practice, while i have them on several range gats, my carry not yet, but am thinking soon perhaps, but on range gats took me some time to finger it out has the lost dot syndrome, kinda frustrating, but eventually found it and the target, yeah.
i do have them on quite a few ar type carbines, both pistol and rifle rounds, and they work quite well, i think my gravitating towards them is inevitable due to eyesite aging, and ease of acquisition as i use them more. Change can be difficult, but managable.
Rj
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

First time I shot a friend’s pistol with a dot I shot really crappy, said nice gun and handed it back.

That was several years ago. Since then, I decided to commit to using one. I installed one on a new pistol and with practice I am doing great with it. I received info on the Holosun in the video and think it is a fantastic idea for the one shortcoming I’ve found with my RD sight, rapid acquisition of the dot for first shot and after recoil. When your brain is used to following the barrel out to the front sight to get on target quickly it is hard to change to a method that puts the dot in your line of sight quickly. Your brain tends to retreat to finding the front sight and now you have a chunk of stuff sitting in the way.

Since champion pistol shooters use red dots and win, I know it is possible so practice practice practice.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

And the word came down from the mountain on high.

"Tried it, my groups did not shrink and my splits suffered, I'm one of the few that decided after a case of ammo and a red dot handgun class with all the right instruction, …….. My fundamentals were spot on ……."

Minor concession…."Either you love them or hate them"…...

"Love them or hate them, I don't know why me saying this bothers certain people", Interpretation" I tried them, no good, shut up, I’m the expert

It's just my seasoned experience …. Interpretation: you’re an a-hole, I’m the seasoned expert

I'll trust my experience over theirs Interpretation: you’re all a-holes and I know everything, there is no need for me to learn anything from anyone.

big concession YMMV

Then the final edict:

“Let it go.” Interpretation: You are no longer allowed to have any discussion that contradicts The almighties “seasoned experience” It's been said from the mountain there is nothing left to say.

My God what a self-aggrandized arrogant ASS
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

YNOTAZ wrote: January 31st, 2021, 9:32 am And the word came down from the mountain on high.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

AZ1182 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 8:40 am LMAO. Here, I will repost it and in bold since you wanted to be disrespectful and ignorant of what I had posted. Please slowly read it until you understand fully that you told me things that had already known. Perhaps you should have asked if had any astigmatism first before erroneously assuming things. Never assume anything and always read critically to avoid these mistakes of yours to keep it from happening again.

And Hollosun nothing, it's made in China always ALWAYS a hard pass. Even if a red dot on a handgun would be useful, would never, EVER, buy communist made and communist supporting garbage.
Ummmm :? .... :shock: wow? :shock:
Not going to waste internet space requoting all that crap
But since I "wanted to be disrespectful," please point of where my disrespect was.
Perhaps I didn't know I shoulda given you a full medical evaluation before letting you know that practice makes perfect. I'm not assuming that there is a red dot learning curve. A few of the national experts who teach on the subject matter have stated it; and seeing their depth of knowledge and experience on it, I'm going to accept it as fact.
And as for "Hollosun"[sic as quoted], I'm sure there are plenty of things in your house made in China, so get off your American capitalism high horse. Without having a single fact to back me up, I guarantee whatever car you're driving isn't 100% American (parts and or labor)
Funny side note- A number of AZS members have asked me "what the hell is up AZ1182's butt," and I'm like "dunno, never conversed with him." But since my first exchange ever with you can be labeled as "dick out of the gate" please add me to the growing number of members that think you're "porcelain god" reincarnated....Only you AZS vets will get that one, hee hee hee.
OK, let's un-derail this thread...What were we talking about?, Oh yes I'm an ignorant disrespectful dick, and red dots are cool...or not...depending on how well you can adapt/overcome.
Flash

Post by Flash »

YNOTAZ wrote: January 31st, 2021, 9:32 am And the word came down from the mountain on high.
action magic

Post by action magic »

:lol: Dammit! You owe me a Coke. And maybe a keyboard. And btw, havent you figured out that it is probably very difficult for your special somebody to type while blading at 45° .? LOL
Sent from my phone cuz soda everywhere... : :laughing-rolling:
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

AZ1182 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 12:02 pm F it. Adding two more to the ignore where they can flap their sucks and feel like their getting the last words to a person completely oblivious to their posts because I don't click on intentional baits, people that are not subject matter experts flapping ignorance, or assholes wanting to s*** post after stalking my posts and wanting to snipe because that's what narcissist's do.
Is there anyone left on AZS that isn't on your ignore list? 😂