Realistic Blow Back Air Guns - Substitute for ammo shortage.

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
vtachrn
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Realistic Blow Back Air Guns - Substitute for ammo shortage.

Post by vtachrn »

The wife got me and the kids a few realistic air guns (BB) for Christmas, since I will not deplete my ammo stores until the shortage is over. Basically its an excuse to throw the kids and I out of the house for a few hours to go to shooting range still.

She got us a Crossman DPMS SBR select fire BB rifle and a Air Venturi Mil-Spec 1911. Both of these have the same weight of their respective real weapon counterpart as well as recoil. These run on CO2 carriages that are contained in the magazine. FPS over the chronograph on a full CO2 cartridge is about 350.

The Crossman DPMS SBR breaks down just like a realistic AR, including the charging handle and bolt is realistic. I put a cheap red dot on it and am having a riot with this thing. In full auto it will dump a 25 round mag in 1.1 seconds. Eats ammo like a pig. Accuracy in short bursts or Semiauto will shoot out the center bullseye on a Shoot-N-See target at about 20 feet. Full auto will pattern inside a 10 inch target at 20 feet.

The Air Venturi 1911 breaks down just like a real 1911 and has the same weight and I would say recoil of shooting my 22LR GSG 1911. It has all the controls and functional grip safety of a 1911. Accuracy is about a 1 inch grouping at 20 feet.

This is about as close as I can get to a substitute for keeping skills up and marksmanship as well as reinforcing gun safety with my boys. We are having a riot with these new "toys".

These are great for training, plinking and scratching the shooting itch.

MarkItZero

Re: Realistic Blow Back Air Guns - Substitute for ammo shortage.

Post by MarkItZero »

Check out PCP air rifles if you really want your mind blown.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

MarkItZero wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:12 pm Check out PCP air rifles if you really want your mind blown.
Yup, this is a typical 25 yard 5 shot group out of my .22 Marauder...

rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

And you can shoot them in your backyard!

I may have to look into these, been a long time since I’ve had a BB gun and they where not this cool when I had them. These would be great teaching tools for the kids too.
olemal

Post by olemal »

dammit though I didn't need anything else and then you come and share this. bleah
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I got the boy a Crosman R1 (similar to the DPMS collaboration in the first post) and he LOVES it. The mags are 25 rounds, and it functions just like the real counterpart (bolt catch/release, charging handle, etc.). The only difference that I've noticed is that the forward assist is just for looks.

The only downside is that it really goes through the CO2 cartridges.

-WRM
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

WRMorrison wrote: December 30th, 2020, 9:59 am
The only downside is that it really goes through the CO2 cartridges.

-WRM
Best value in 12 gram CO2 cartridges is the 40 pack of Crossman for $15 at walmart. Ill let the kids each have 1 mag on fullauto to get it out of their system and then its back to semi only for shot placement. My kids tend to back off on the fullauto when they realized that it takes longer to load the mag than to shoot it.

We are getting around 150 shots out of 2 CO2 cartridges. Which is about standard since a CO2 pistol only gets around 80 shots per single cartridge. I do need to get these over the chronograph to compare FPS for the 1st shot on a new cartridge and FPS on a mostly depleted one.

If I really want to slow the kids down and make them work on marksman ship with pistols, the Crosman Vigilante revolver works great. Rifled barrel for pellets'.

vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

Gunslinger808 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:06 pm
MarkItZero wrote: December 29th, 2020, 1:12 pm Check out PCP air rifles if you really want your mind blown.
Yup, this is a typical 25 yard 5 shot group out of my .22 Marauder...

Mighty fine shooting! Got a link to the rifle your using? I am new to PCP air guns, whats a decent one going to set me back? A starter one recomendation?
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

The Benjamin Marauder is a great PCP rifle, that’s relatively inexpensive for what it is.
Depending on where you get it they run about $450.
They are a bolt action type with no iron sights, made for scopes, and come in .177, .22, and .25 caliber, the .177 and .22 use 10 round rotary magazines, the 25 uses an 8 shot.
The upside is accuracy, lots of shots per fill, and quiet.
They are regulated which means first shot at 3000 psi will be the same as when it’s at 1200 with little to no fps variance.
Downside is unless you buy a high pressure compressor (3000 psi or better) they are a pain to refill as you use a hand pump that will give you a workout.
Also, they are big guns, more the size of a bench rifle than anything else, sure not as light and maneuverable as a Red Ryder!

I have one in .177 and .22, honestly they are more accurate than I’ll ever be, I shoot them out to 100 yards with sub MOA groups the normal.
They are powerful too, I’ve taken clean kills on groundhogs out past 100 with the .22 going through the animal.

Right now I’m waiting on my Benjamin Akela to come in, it’s basically a Marauder in a bull pup stock with a straight throw bolt.

I
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

I have one of these SIG 226 CO2 blowback BB pistols. I like to use it with the Mantis live fire training tool.