Snap caps for a 22lr?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Snap caps for a 22lr?

Post by Boriqua »

So since the wife has the 22 Revo coming I would like her to get some trigger time in the house before we hit the range. Being rim fire ... are any of the manufactured snap caps better than another. Tipton etc ... I dont understand how they might work. I am a complete noob when it comes to 22.

She never dry fired the SR 22 but revolvers are a different animal and I would like her to get some cheap practice in to conserve ammo. She practices with her Sp101 regularly but revolver trigger pulls are all unique.

In other news ... I think its kind of wild that my little 64 yr old wife from the Bronx now has 3 of her very own guns and pressures me for range visits!! :mrgreen:

Flash

Re: Snap caps for a 22lr?

Post by Flash »

A-Zoom aluminum snap caps from amazon. I had a bad experience with plastic snap caps many years ago and have only used aluminum since.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

In my experience, the best option for .22LR snap caps are dummy rounds you used to be able to buy. No idea if they still sell them.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

I have heard plastic wall hanger screw inserts work. Have not personally tried them.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Couldn't you just use spent 22lr brass and rotate it around in the cylinder such that you are striking a fresh area of the rim?
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Delfuego wrote: December 16th, 2020, 10:18 am I have heard plastic wall hanger screw inserts work. Have not personally tried them.

This is what I do. They start to come apart after several uses, but I have hundreds of them and don’t dry fire .22 very often.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Delfuego wrote: December 16th, 2020, 10:18 am I have heard plastic wall hanger screw inserts work. Have not personally tried them.

I have used these for years. I've never had any issues with them coming apart. In a semi-auto, they may or may not feed from the magazine, but they are perfect for a revolver. I keep one of these in the chamber of every .22 I own, particularly those guns which can't be de-cocked. #6 anchors, if I recall.