Panic Buying Over Yet?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pipedoc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Panic Buying Over Yet?

Post by Pipedoc »

between covid 19 the riots and the election, don't expect anything to get better anytime soon.

xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Dems are pulling out all the stops to win this election, pretty stupid how they are going about it, but non the less
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Pipedoc wrote: June 5th, 2020, 11:43 am between covid 19 the riots and the election, don't expect anything to get better anytime soon.
I’m honestly just waiting for the next manufactured crisis. They’re going to have to keep the pressure on through November.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Guns Plus in surprise today, pretty much wiped out of everything, uge line out the door.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

I think it might be panic related to pandemic and riot. Cabelas was picked clean of just about any rifle, handgun or 00 buck 12 gauge ammo. Also noticed that just about every Semi auto rifle is gone. I was on the JG Sales website and they have nothing but Fudd shotguns and very few semi auto rifles in stock. Lots of handguns and ammo however are listed. Also Glock parts on ebay shot up in price.
mtuck

Post by mtuck »

My close to home Ace Hardware usually has a good selection of ammo and reloading stuff. Most of the popular stuff is long gone. When the shelves get restocked, it's usually gone in a day or 2. Can't seem to find CFE223 anywhere but Ace still has H335. Works for me as I prefer H335.
goodaim
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by goodaim »

338lapua wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:31 pm Sportsmans in north Phoenix had a line of 20+ when I was there. Only one douche wearing a mask that I saw.
Hi why is it wrong to wear a mask?
slapiron

Post by slapiron »

Panic buying will likely pick up amid cities now trying to defund the police. 911 what's your emergency? Sorry nobody is coming to help you.....you are responsible for protecting yourself.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Within the past few days..
Big Pawn 1st at 19th and Bell: Cleaned OUT of handguns w/just 4-5 fudd rifles on the wall.
Gun shop at SR51 and Shea: ONE Ruger American left, but couple dozen longarms
Bear Arms: Barely a selection in anything 9, 40, or 45. ..but couple dozen wheelguns left
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

Sportsman's on yorkshire had a dozen in line to look at the guns, reloading stuff was hit or miss, didn't look for ammo.
azman

Post by azman »

I was on vacation the last few weeks, and it involved a few trips around the state. After going in stores everywhere I stopped, I can say this is by far the worse I've ever seen the panic buying.... and I'm talking going back to 94' and the Crime Bill/AWB time frame.
With the election coming up, I wouldn't expect the supply to catch up to demand anytime soon.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Supply will remain down due to manufacturing in many states coming to a standstill because of some virus or something keeping employees home...
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

goodaim wrote: June 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm
338lapua wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:31 pm Sportsmans in north Phoenix had a line of 20+ when I was there. Only one douche wearing a mask that I saw.
IF you want to wear a mask, wear a mask...couldn't give an F either way. It is usually the masked people making the remarks. But if you need some science, please enjoy yourself to some studies listed below.

Saying that wearing a mask is about compassion is meant to guilt you into doing something that for most is not necessary. Why not educate folks about masks, which has not been done. Compassion is about educating people and then letting them decide
N95 masks for which professionals are fit tested provide significant protection. Surgical masks of a certain type provide some level of protection, but that decreases as standard/quality of the mask decreases. Cloth masks provide marginal to zero real protection. This does vary based on the material used to create the mask.
The idea of a cloth mask was born out of a concern that N95 or protective surgical masks would run short. A 2010 study (1) using regularly available cloth determined that cotton masks were nearly 97% penetrable immediately by small viruses. We also learned that any gaps in the masks decreased protection by 50%. So, if the mask is 3% effective with a perfect seal, the rate of effectiveness in theory would drop to 1.5% when not sealed properly.
I completely understand the theory behind recommending people wear a mask. However, when we assess the theory versus the reality of regular people donning masks in public we find that the largest majority do not fit, are not being worn properly, and have been rendered wholly ineffective. My concerns are echoed by others who are medically and/or scientifically trained i.e. masks worn by nontrained people using alternative materials not properly fitted to their face are not effective. In fact, they may provide a false sense of security that could lead to increased spread not decreased.
I encourage people to understand the limitations of cloth masks as well as lesser surgical masks and make your own decision. If after researching the data you decide that wearing a mask is something you should do, then you should absolutely wear one and no one should ridicule you for your decision. However, if after researching the data you decide that wearing a mask is something you do not need to do, then you should not wear one and should not be shamed for your decision.

1) Samy Rengasamy, Benjamin Eimer, Ronald E. Shaffer, Simple Respiratory Protection—Evaluation of the Filtration Performance of Cloth Masks and Common Fabric Materials Against 20–1000 nm Size Particles, The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, Volume 54, Issue 7, October 2010, Pages 789–798, https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/meq044
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20584862/

"There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly." - WHO

“A 2010 study using regularly available cloth determined that cotton masks were nearly 97% penetrable immediately by small viruses.”

Samy Rengasamy, Benjamin Eimer, Ronald E. Shaffer, Simple Respiratory Protection—Evaluation of the Filtration Performance of Cloth Masks and Common Fabric Materials Against 20–1000 nm Size Particles, The Annals of Occupational Hygiene, Volume 54, Issue 7, October 2010, Pages 789 798, https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/meq044

https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744

“2020 study showed significantly better protection from cloth masks than the above 2010 study. One caveat, the better protection in the 2020 study was provided by silk, chiffon, and tightly woven cotton with batting.”

Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks
Abhiteja Konda, Abhinav Prakash, Gregory A. Moss, Michael Schmoldt, Gregory D. Grant, and Supratik Guha
ACS Nano 2020 14 (5), 6339-6347
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

“Although surgical mask media may be adequate to remove bacteria exhaled or expelled by health care workers, they may not be sufficient to remove the submicrometer-size aerosols containing pathogens to which these health care workers are potentially exposed.”
Chen CC, Willeke K. Aerosol penetration through surgical masks. Am J Infect Control. 1992;20(4):177‐184. doi:10.1016/s0196-6553(05)80143-9
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1524265/

Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%....the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection.
MacIntyre CR, Seale H, Dung TC, et al
A cluster randomised trial of cloth masks compared with medical masks in healthcare workers
BMJ Open 2015;5:e006577. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006577
https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen ... 7.full.pdf
curt1950
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by curt1950 »

Prescott has "stuff" no panic buying here Prescott Valley as well. Its not cheap but you can get it. I had LRK do some work for me on a M-18 Nice shop.
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

goodaim wrote: June 7th, 2020, 1:29 pm
It is not wrong to wear a mask, it is polite to do so in public places where physical distancing is not possible. I enjoyed the references about face masks being incapable of complete filtration of incoming particulates to the users - no surprise. However, to claim that a mask would not limit expulsion of aerosolized sputum from the mask wearer would be contrary to easily quantifiable observations - see New England Journal of Medicine (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800).