Scottsdale ammunition company faces $80.1 million order backlog

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Scottsdale ammunition company faces $80.1 million order backlog

Post by Suck My Glock »

https://www.azfamily.com/news/scottsdal ... FdkEUxgvCA

Scottsdale-based ammunition company Ammo Incorporated is facing an $80.1 million order backlog amid record demand for ammunition.

"We're working right now seven days a week, 24 hours a day in all the manufacturing plants," said CEO Fred Wagenhals.

The company manufactures a wide range of ammunition at its facilities in Payson, Arizona, and Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

"We just bought 2.8 million dollars worth of machinery and equipment last week to increase our production and increase our volume," Wagenhals said.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the year has already seen a boom in gun purchases, up 95% in the first half of 2020 compared to the same time period of 2019.

But ammo sales skyrocketed even higher, up 139% compared to 2019 during that same time period.

"The start was the pandemic that was going on. But there was always that fear of the election. Of who's going to be elected of the next President of the United States," Wagenhals said. "But thirdly, I think the unrest in this country right now. And as you've seen in a lot of cities, the looting and the burning, and I think people are just scared."

Regardless of the motivations, it's meant this company has been growing even amid an economic downturn.

"We're a $200 million company in the next 18 - 24 months," Wagenhals said.

Boriqua

Re: Scottsdale ammunition company faces $80.1 million order backlog

Post by Boriqua »

Maybe I dont know enough about the process but .. there are certain things I dont want done faster.

Laser Eye surgery
The removal of my organs
Vasectomy
making my ammunition

There is more but ..you get the point :)
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Now that is ugly. But everybody knows "Haste makes Waste" including KBOOMS. We as older gun owners are probably going to see more of this. As the ammo production industry falls behind the demand, safety measures fall behind. Its been documented in WWII, the Korean war, and Vietnam. A lot of rounds went KBOOM in Nam. Ask any veteran that was there.

But such is when demand out strips manufacturing.

Vigilance will be needed ?
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

Hopefully they will be able gradually ramp up production in a manner that maintains safety and quality standards.
Trapper1873
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Trapper1873 »

AZ1182 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm Two weekends ago an Ammo Inc. remanufactured 124 JHP 9x19, kaboomed a Sig 226 X5 at a Fieldcraft Survival basic handgun class.
That’s no bueno. Don’t have any Ammo Inc stuff but that is more than a little alarming when you hear something like that.
Buggydave

Post by Buggydave »

Wow, Fred Wagenhals is the CEO of that company? lol Not sure how much I trust it now? That guy has been in more and different types of companies in his life and NONE lasted!
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Never even heard of them until this article. Going to be hard to fill that back order with no components available right now. Never saw a box of their ammo anywhere until I looked them up and I see their stuff on Cheaper Than Dirt's website
Mauserk98k

Post by Mauserk98k »

Glad I stocked up on ammo a few years ago. If trump wins I will stock up even more!