Deactivating Ammo Question

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
mallic
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Deactivating Ammo Question

Post by mallic »

I have a bunch of 7.62x39 that somehow got the bullets pushed back into the casing. I don't want to just toss the ammo in the trash and worry about something going off in the dump. I am assuming that if I pull the bullet and dump the powder, I can throw it in a rifle and set off the primers with no weird issues correct? I know it wouldn't have enough energy to cycle a bolt, but I want to make sure it's not gonna do anything funky to my gun. Logically it would just go pop and I could manually extract the casing by racking the bolt, but I wanted to be doubly sure.

Suck My Glock

Re: Deactivating Ammo Question

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yes, you are correct.

You could also just have a boat accident like everybody else.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Suck My Glock is correct, as are you.
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

Yes, that would not cause any issues. As an alternative, you could also set off the primers with a small punch and a hammer
pojv

Post by pojv »

I had a batch I had to pull. I put a few drops of oil into the cases then put them in a baggy. The oil will ruin the primers. Unless you want the fun of popping the primers in your rifle.
dread_scott

Post by dread_scott »

Im new to reloading, but have been told that you can deprime live primers. So if you, or someone you know reloads, you can reuse the primers as they are pretty impossible to find right now.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

dread_scott wrote: September 24th, 2020, 9:29 am Im new to reloading, but have been told that you can deprime live primers. So if you, or someone you know reloads, you can reuse the primers as they are pretty impossible to find right now.
I am anxious to hear from some of the reloading veterans on this one. I read that depriming live primers on a press was a no/no. I have never tried it though so it would be nice to see what the local wisdom says.

I would also think that since it is a press fit part that it was deformed to some degree on insertion and would be loose if you tried to reinstall.

Inquiring minds want to know!
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

dread_scott wrote: September 24th, 2020, 9:29 am Im new to reloading, but have been told that you can deprime live primers. So if you, or someone you know reloads, you can reuse the primers as they are pretty impossible to find right now.
You can try that, but I won't. Re using them will probably not work and be prepared for several small explosions while your attempting this, because you will have a couple of them. I would just deactivate the primers as stated earlier, then one should be able to de-prime them with no problem.

Is this stuff brass case ? If it is, then maybe the cases along with the primers would be worth saving and reloading them.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

Depending on the ammo it might have corrosive primers, Eastern Bloc almost for sure. I wouldn't bother firing them. They may also be Berdan primers so they are sized differently and you can't use them in a Boxer primed case. When you remove a bullet see if there are one or two flash holes.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Boriqua wrote: September 24th, 2020, 10:02 am
I am anxious to hear from some of the reloading veterans on this one. I read that depriming live primers on a press was a no/no. I have never tried it though so it would be nice to see what the local wisdom says.

I would also think that since it is a press fit part that it was deformed to some degree on insertion and would be loose if you tried to reinstall.

Okay, I'll fess up. I've been doing it for over 60 years with no problems whatsoever and when they got re-used, they all went bang. Also, they're not deformed and will go in another case and stay there just fine.

Here's how you do it:
Place the case in a shellholder in your press and run it up to the sizing/depriming die slowly. When you feel the depriming punch touch the primer, very slowly and smoothly continue pushing the lever on the press until the primer pops out.

I never had one go off doing it, but nonetheless always wear safety glasses when doing it. Use the old primers for range loads.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Couldn't you just use a projectile puller/hammer, recover the powder, and reload it?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

XJThrottle wrote: September 24th, 2020, 1:36 pm Couldn't you just use a projectile puller/hammer, recover the powder, and reload it?

That’s what I would do...not sure if the OP has the ability/equip to do that.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Unless they are boxer primed cases with the hole in the center you won't be able to just deprime them because there berdan primed and there are 2 small holes offset from the center and your likely not gonna be able to do it without breaking something. If they are boxer primed and are NOT crimped then just go very slow. I wouldn't recommend it however. why not just put the powder back in, seat them to the proper length and shoot them... If you don't reload then forget it...
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Boriqua wrote: September 24th, 2020, 10:02 am

I deprime live primers all the time, no big deal. Anyone who says it is or that they set them off by depriming is full of crap. Using a press to deprime does not produce the velocity necessary to detonate a primer and believe me I have tried to set one off on a press.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

mallic wrote: September 24th, 2020, 1:35 am I have a bunch of 7.62x39 that somehow got the bullets pushed back into the casing. I don't want to just toss the ammo in the trash and worry about something going off in the dump. I am assuming that if I pull the bullet and dump the powder, I can throw it in a rifle and set off the primers with no weird issues correct? I know it wouldn't have enough energy to cycle a bolt, but I want to make sure it's not gonna do anything funky to my gun. Logically it would just go pop and I could manually extract the casing by racking the bolt, but I wanted to be doubly sure.
I would not waste my time doing this by hand, if I can't do it by machine they go in the garbage and thats only if I dont need to recover the bullet or I have a pull down contract going. Do you have any idea how many rounds are picked up off ranges and thrown in the garbage to be sent to the dump? If there was a problem with them going off in a garbage truck we would be hearing about it. Even if a primed case goes off the duration of the flame is not enough to start a fire and if a live round goes off outside of a chamber there is not enough velocity to harm anyone. Putting them in a rifle one by one is just a waste of time. If you worry that much about it bury them in your yard and water them until the steel cases rust through which wont take long