Airport worker hides pistol in bushes, it gets stolen, police retrieve it, but only the thief gets arrested

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Airport worker hides pistol in bushes, it gets stolen, police retrieve it, but only the thief gets arrested

Post by Suck My Glock »

Ok,...this one is a little bizarre. Try to follow me on this;....

A janitorial employee of the Nashville International Airport, Aniya Lyons, stashed her 1911 pistol in some bushes just outside the garage for Terminal 2, reportedly because she was late for work.

Yeah,...I know. Why not leave it in her car? Did she not arrive by car? If she did not arrive by car, where was she going to put her pistol if she was not behind schedule? Is there some place between the garage and the terminal where she normally keeps her gun? I have sooooo many questions.

But anyway,...she stashes the heater in some bushes, planning to come get it later after work, I guess. But when she does,...OMG,...its gone!!

So apparently, the janitorial worker reports the matter to airport security. (That must have been an interesting conversation.) They pull up their surveillance camera footage of the area.

According to the article;... "Surveillance footage identifies Arius Boyd reaching over a railing in the area a little over an hour after Lyons was seen stashing her gun in the bush."

Hmmm. It sounds like Arius watched her put it there, or had seen her do so before?

The article continues;... "Police reached out to Boyd and found Lyons' gun in his home. Boyd was arrested and is currently in jail."

Now wait a minute;...authorities took look at the footage and knew who this guy was? Did he work there too? Are employees regularly stashing guns in bushes? What happens when they're on time? WTF?

The article fails to mention the fate of the janitorial worker, Ms. Lyons. Did she get fired? Charged with a crime? Or what?

I mean, I know Nashville is redneck and all,...but dayum!

https://fox17.com/news/local/middle-ten ... s-near-bna#

BigNate

Re: Airport worker hides pistol in bushes, it gets stolen, police retrieve it, but only the thief gets arrested

Post by BigNate »

Probably not unlike things that happen many, many, times a day - but without the press.

"Someone I know" (chuckle), who at the time was a frequent business traveler, may or may not have stashed a fairly expensive Benchmade knife between the seat and frame of a fixed chair at an airport. They found the knife in their pocket as they approached the security checkpoint and they did not have time to get back to their vehicle in long term parking and still make their flight. It was that - or throw it away - or surrender it at TSA (throw it away) - or miss their flight and an important business meeting. It was still there when they returned home... Like the scene out of Get Shorty - sitting down in the chair, looking around to see who is looking, then reaching under the seat and "joy" - it's still there...

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

:-)
MTURBO

Re: Airport worker hides pistol in bushes, it gets stolen, police retrieve it, but only the thief gets arrested

Post by MTURBO »

Is it illegal to hide a gun in the bushes???
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

MTURBO wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:45 am Is it illegal to hide a gun in the bushes???
I don't know Tennessee law, but I imagine it is likely some sort of reckless endangerment to just leave a loaded pistol in a public place where anyone could find it,...especially on grounds that (unless I am mistaken) fall under federal authority as well as local.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I once worked for a guy that carried a nice Smith .357 daily.

NYC .. is a no go zone so it was carried without the cities blessing and could get you a mandatory year in jail.. Once in a long while we would have to go to a building in Manhattan that had a metal detector you would have to pass through. Dont know why he wouldn't leave it home that day but it would just be one of many stops we would make for the day and admittedly our travels took us to some neighborhoods you definitely wanted to be armed in.

Most of these fancy building in Manhattan that would have a metal detector to enter would also have planters out front with some plants or shrubs. In to the planter the nice .357 went and stayed until we left the building
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

MTURBO wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:45 am Is it illegal to hide a gun in the bushes???
Is it illegal to FIND a gun in the bushes? Seems like a clear case of Finders V. Keepers.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 11:54 am
Is it illegal to FIND a gun in the bushes? Seems like a clear case of Finders V. Keepers.
I'm thinking the Finders Keepers rule is in full effect!! :mrgreen:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Maybe he was a felon.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

XJThrottle wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:31 pm
Maybe he was a felon.
I'd be money he isn't a choir boy.

I've hidden a knife or two in the shrubbery around Sky Harbor...I'll be damned if I'm going to walk back to my car to save a $50 Kershaw, and the TSA sure as s*** aren't getting it. But, it's always been right where I left it upon arrival back in town. I'd never leave a gun...that's idiotic.
Cbvanb

Post by Cbvanb »

QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 2:13 pm
XJThrottle wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:31 pm

Maybe he was a felon.
I'd be money he isn't a choir boy.

I've hidden a knife or two in the shrubbery around Sky Harbor...I'll be damned if I'm going to walk back to my car to save a $50 Kershaw, and the TSA sure as s*** aren't getting it. But, it's always been right where I left it upon arrival back in town. I'd never leave a gun...that's idiotic.
I've done the same thing at Sky Harbor a couple times. I had to do it at the Federal Building in Tucson also. They wouldn't hold my knife at security while I conducted my business, so I left it in a planter outside. They saw me do it and didn't care, as long as I didn't carry it into the building. It was still there when I went to retrieve it.
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

L
Attachments
9CD8FCEF-A45D-41A3-85C6-69D2C66A5E93.jpeg
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

If people would only keep their hand off other peoples stuff.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I once had a guard at a State bldg let me carry a less than 4" knife in (not much less) because it was a tool I needed. I guess I don't look like a threat! That's another story ( keep your CCW's current).
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Just FYI, the Brave First Responders and Highly Trained Counter-Terrorism Operatives at TSA discovered a Leatherman tool in a Lands End briefcase that I had put through the X-ray machine. (It had gotten stuck down at the bottom of one of the pockets, and I missed it on my pre-travel inspection.) I did not want them to confiscate it, and I had a little time before my flight, so I gave the "safe" briefcase to my wife, to carry to the boarding gate, and I took the tool outside. There I found a "travelers' helper" kiosk, manned by elderly volunteers who give people directions. I asked them if they could mail my knife to my house. They instantly produced a UPS form that they kept handy for such occasions. They said it happens all the time. I filled out the form with my address, and the preferred shipping date (giving me time to return from my trip). Then I went back through the line, and joined my wife at the boarding gate. Soon after I got home, the tool was delivered. (Or maybe I had to go pick it up at a UPS place; I forget.) I think it cost $15; better than letting them keep the tool.

Bottom line: go to the travelers' helper kiosk. They will ship it for you.
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

bottom line: check planters and bushes for this common act.