Lagging FFL transfers

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
danonly55
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Lagging FFL transfers

Post by danonly55 »

I purchased a rifle onling and had it sent to a local FFL/' gun store and they have had it for 3 days and still have not logged it into their system. Which means I can not pick up my new rifle. Any thoughts on this ??

MarkItZero

Re: Lagging FFL transfers

Post by MarkItZero »

Did you by chance order a gun this store regularly stocks?
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

I didn't check their store for that rifle.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Go down there and ask nicely and be willing to wait?
gunpoorboy1

Post by gunpoorboy1 »

Get a different FFL. That's just crappy customer service. I had a similar problem until I found an FFL which knows and respects the fact that people are waiting for their toys.
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

Their web site has it listed but for over 100 bucks more than I paid for it.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

danonly55 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:52 pm Their web site has it listed but for over 100 bucks more than I paid for it.
Personally, as a matter of respect I never transfer a gun to a store when I know it's something they carry. Thankfully for me the pawn shop I do my transfers at mostly just stocks Taurus, SCCY and Savage.
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

I have a usual FFL but I have not purchased a new gun in over 4 years and was not sure they survived the covid crap. It was 11pm when I purchased it and did not want to lose out on the deal I got on it, So I went with one the vendor had listed. I tried the nice approach already.. No dice.
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

MarkItZero wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:55 pm
danonly55 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:52 pm Their web site has it listed but for over 100 bucks more than I paid for it.
Personally, as a matter of respect I never transfer a gun to a store when I know it's something they carry. Thankfully for me the pawn shop I do my transfers at mostly just stocks Taurus, SCCY and Savage.
I'm using them for a service If I get good service then I will look to them to price match.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

If they truly haven't logged it into their books in 3 days, they are in in danger of violating of ATF regulations.

"Generally, for licensed dealers the purchase or other acquisition of a firearm shall be recorded not later than the close of the next business day after the date of the acquisition or purchase.

However, if commercial records containing the required information are available for inspection and are separate from other commercial documents, dealers have 7 days from the time of receipt to record the receipt in the acquisition and disposition (A&D) record." - ATF

Sounds like a shop to avoid for ffl transfers...share the name with the group.
Twobadazbrothers

Post by Twobadazbrothers »

Sounds like a shop to avoid for ffl transfers...share the name with the group.

Keep someone from making the same mistake
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Household FFLs are better.
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

Twobadazbrothers wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:24 pm Sounds like a shop to avoid for ffl transfers...share the name with the group.

Keep someone from making the same mistake
When the deal is done I will share the shops info so nobody does business with them. The reviews on Yelp say it all about their customer service.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

Most dealers don't make much on a transfer by the time they pay someone to do all the paper work. They take a risk storing a gun until it is picked up, some NIC checks take up to a week. They sometime have to deal with shipping damage or other disputes too. If a gun needs to be repaired some people think they should help with a return or warranty. I knew a guy who had 3 handguns shipped and picked up one a week so the dealer would not file a multiple gun sale. The average guy buying guns on line does NOT spend ANY money at the local shops instead they shop everywhere else but, they expect their service... Don't be that entitled POS.

When buying online you are buying from a dealer who has an unfair advantage over a small shop. E-shops have big volume and can sell less than a local shop can buy it for. Many of them are distributors buying in a volume small shops can not afford to do that. Can you imagine what it costs to buy 20 cases of ammo at a time so they can get better pricing? (about 8 grand) then it will take a year to sell it all... Of course to get that pricing they will need to buy a hundred grand or more a year.

I worked for a distributor/gun shop once, we got ammo and guns shipped several pallets at a time and sold locally at just over dealer cost. After a few years all the dealers in town went out of business. Then a few years later the shop I worked for relocated 45 miles away... So for ten years locals were left without a local gun shop and had to drive 45 miles to get guns or ammo. After ten years a new shop opened up then it closed too. Now 30 years later they still have to drive 20 miles to the nearest gun shop.

Most small gun shops barely make enough to pay their overhead and they do it because they like what they do. In a small shop there are many days if you take out their operational cost; employees, rent, electricity and cost of goods they actually make zero profit. The average guy buying guns on line does NOT spend any money at the local shop (except his transfer fee) instead they shop everywhere else to save a buck.

I wonder who they will ship to when all the small dealers go out of business and there are no local FFL's to receive their stuff... With gas prices today that might add another $50. bucks to their online purchase.

So be sure to spend some money at those local shops...
danonly55

Post by danonly55 »

Cmoor wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:11 am Most dealers don't make much on a transfer by the time they pay someone to do all the paper work. They take a risk storing a gun until it is picked up, some NIC checks take up to a week. They sometime have to deal with shipping damage or other disputes too. If a gun needs to be repaired some people think they should help with a return or warranty. I knew a guy who had 3 handguns shipped and picked up one a week so the dealer would not file a multiple gun sale. The average guy buying guns on line does NOT spend ANY money at the local shops instead they shop everywhere else but, they expect their service... Don't be that entitled POS.

When buying online you are buying from a dealer who has an unfair advantage over a small shop. E-shops have big volume and can sell less than a local shop can buy it for. Many of them are distributors buying in a volume small shops can not afford to do that. Can you imagine what it costs to buy 20 cases of ammo at a time so they can get better pricing? (about 8 grand) then it will take a year to sell it all... Of course to get that pricing they will need to buy a hundred grand or more a year.

I worked for a distributor/gun shop once, we got ammo and guns shipped several pallets at a time and sold locally at just over dealer cost. After a few years all the dealers in town went out of business. Then a few years later the shop I worked for relocated 45 miles away... So for ten years locals were left without a local gun shop and had to drive 45 miles to get guns or ammo. After ten years a new shop opened up then it closed too. Now 30 years later they still have to drive 20 miles to the nearest gun shop.

Most small gun shops barely make enough to pay their overhead and they do it because they like what they do. In a small shop there are many days if you take out their operational cost; employees, rent, electricity and cost of goods they actually make zero profit. The average guy buying guns on line does NOT spend any money at the local shop (except his transfer fee) instead they shop everywhere else to save a buck.

I wonder who they will ship to when all the small dealers go out of business and there are no local FFL's to receive their stuff... With gas prices today that might add another $50. bucks to their online purchase.

So be sure to spend some money at those local shops...
I am all for buying local, I would like to keep my money in our state, This is not a small shop by any means. The walls are lined with AR's and 1911's and their transfer fee is 50 bucks which is the highest I have ever seen. If they were worried about overhead than their business plan is not realistic. My usual FFL charges 20 and does transfers in 1-2 days at most. These guys said they would have it by Thursday, well that day has past and it's still not complete. Many other people have had similar issues with this store. Wanting a good deal and to save over 110 bucks on a purchase is a ideal and a sound purchase in my book.