Phoenix officer who shot, killed Ryan Whitaker reinstated

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Phoenix officer who shot, killed Ryan Whitaker reinstated

Post by Flash »

I got thinking about this thread some more while I was peeling and deveining tonight's shrimp.

I've had the police come to my door twice, the FBI once.

The first time the police came it was one guy, a cop who was dressed as a Sheriffs Department guy and I had a gun in my hand just out of his view. That's probably what saved me as it turns out he was the Golden State Rapist/Murderer. He thought about drawing his gun as his hand was on it in the holster, but he didn't and he walked away.

When the police came the second time (Gilbert PD) and the FBI came, I had a gun in my hand, behind my back where they couldn't see it but I'm pretty sure they knew I had one and neither the police nor the FBI felt moved to draw on me. In the case of the Gilbert PD, we had an intelligent conversation about an operation they were doing in my neighborhood and in the case of the FBI, he came inside and we had a chat about one of my neighbors. He kept his gun in his holster and I kept my gun in my holster for the chat.

These were well trained, confident LEOS who weren't afraid of their own shadows, though.

Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Flash wrote: December 12th, 2021, 11:37 am I got thinking about this thread some more while I was peeling and deveining tonight's shrimp.

I've had the police come to my door twice, the FBI once.

The first time the police came it was one guy, a cop who was dressed as a Sheriffs Department guy and I had a gun in my hand just out of his view. That's probably what saved me as it turns out he was the Golden State Rapist/Murderer. He thought about drawing his gun as his hand was on it in the holster, but he didn't and he walked away.

When the police came the second time (Gilbert PD) and the FBI came, I had a gun in my hand, behind my back where they couldn't see it but I'm pretty sure they knew I had one and neither the police nor the FBI felt moved to draw on me. In the case of the Gilbert PD, we had an intelligent conversation about an operation they were doing in my neighborhood and in the case of the FBI, he came inside and we had a chat about one of my neighbors. He kept his gun in his holster and I kept my gun in my holster for the chat.

These were well trained, confident LEOS who weren't afraid of their own shadows, though.
I'd like to hear more about this. With the Golden State guy. Why did he just walk away? What was the conversation about?

That is crazy.
Flash

Post by Flash »

It was around midnight and I was watching a movie on TV. In those days I carried outside the house, but almost never inside the house. I now carry anytime I'm awake.

Anyway, for some reason I put a gun on the coffee table and it was there when the doorbell rang. I got up, put it in my rear pocket and went to the door. Opened up and there was a Sheriffs Department guy standing there (from the way he was dressed). We stared at each other for a while and while this was going on, I had the gun butt in my hand but the barrel was still in my rear pocket. I was turned slightly so he couldn't see my right arm. I asked him what he wanted and he said that my dog was barking. I said the dog was barking at him.

At that point, he grabbed the screen door handle and pulled, but it was locked and didn't open. I drew the gun out of my pocket and it was by my side but he still couldn't see it. When he grabbed the screen door handle he also put his hand on the butt of his gun. It had a snap closure on top and I decided based on what had happened that if I heard it unsnap I'd turn slightly and fire.

We stared at each other for a while, seemed like a long time but it probably wasn't and he said to keep my dog quiet and he turned around and walked off. I stood there for a while and thought, hey wait a minute. No car door opened, no engine started, no car drove off because I would have heard it. So I went out and saw nothing.

I called the Area Supervisor for the Sheriffs' Department and told him what happened (he was an old friend) and he said he'd call me back. Called me back and said it wasn't one of his men and that it was probably a rapist they'd had in the area and that I should've shot him. I told him I would have if he'd started to draw.

Anyway, that was the last I heard of it until around a year ago when I was watching a program called Forensic Files at night. They said they'd caught the Golden State Rapist through one of the DNA sites and showed a picture of this old guy. Then they showed a picture of him from the time frame when he was doing it and I told Mrs. Flash that was the guy as I never forgot his face.

I replaced the screen door with a security door the next day and all my houses have one since that happened.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Flash wrote: December 13th, 2021, 6:39 am It was around midnight and I was watching a movie on TV. In those days I carried outside the house, but almost never inside the house. I now carry anytime I'm awake.

Anyway, for some reason I put a gun on the coffee table and it was there when the doorbell rang. I got up, put it in my rear pocket and went to the door. Opened up and there was a Sheriffs Department guy standing there (from the way he was dressed). We stared at each other for a while and while this was going on, I had the gun butt in my hand but the barrel was still in my rear pocket. I was turned slightly so he couldn't see my right arm. I asked him what he wanted and he said that my dog was barking. I said the dog was barking at him.

At that point, he grabbed the screen door handle and pulled, but it was locked and didn't open. I drew the gun out of my pocket and it was by my side but he still couldn't see it. When he grabbed the screen door handle he also put his hand on the butt of his gun. It had a snap closure on top and I decided based on what had happened that if I heard it unsnap I'd turn slightly and fire.

We stared at each other for a while, seemed like a long time but it probably wasn't and he said to keep my dog quiet and he turned around and walked off. I stood there for a while and thought, hey wait a minute. No car door opened, no engine started, no car drove off because I would have heard it. So I went out and saw nothing.

I called the Area Supervisor for the Sheriffs' Department and told him what happened (he was an old friend) and he said he'd call me back. Called me back and said it wasn't one of his men and that it was probably a rapist they'd had in the area and that I should've shot him. I told him I would have if he'd started to draw.

Anyway, that was the last I heard of it until around a year ago when I was watching a program called Forensic Files at night. They said they'd caught the Golden State Rapist through one of the DNA sites and showed a picture of this old guy. Then they showed a picture of him from the time frame when he was doing it and I told Mrs. Flash that was the guy as I never forgot his face.

I replaced the screen door with a security door the next day and all my houses have one since that happened.
Man.

Wow.

I knew this was going to be good and I wanted to pick on details to know when something isn't right and to always go with your gut instinct.

So good on you. He was probably expecting a woman to answer the door and you got the jump on him. I'm the exact same. I have a security door for this same reason.

Anytime cops show up I try to call 911 and confirm if they are supposed to be at my house, before I even respond to open the door.

I also loved the fact you had no problem dealing with him if he would have cleared leather. He saw you and must have thought the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. So unfortunate that that psychopath took so many innocent people's lives until he was caught.

Absolutely crazy. Thank you for sharing.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

268340696_4946658535346829_2006181016848872267_n.jpg
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 16th, 2021, 5:20 pm 268340696_4946658535346829_2006181016848872267_n.jpg
:lol:
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 16th, 2021, 5:20 pm 268340696_4946658535346829_2006181016848872267_n.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flash

Post by Flash »

Suck My Glock is correct. Being a delivery driver is twice as dangerous as being a cop...pays a metric $hiatload less too.

https://www.ishn.com/articles/112748-to ... ted-states

Delivery Driver is #7 and Police Officer is #22.

This is something almost nobody seems to realize.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Flash wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:13 am

Suck My Glock is correct. Being a delivery driver is twice as dangerous as being a cop...pays a metric $hiatload less too.

Being a crossing guard is more dangerous, or Land scape Supervisor. :lol:
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

There are many jobs that are so much more dangerous than that of a police officer, and honestly, I don't know why they call it a "dangerous profession", most live to see retirement without ever having to "draw their gun". The work I do is probably more dangerous on a daily level, and injuries are common.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Flash

Post by Flash »

Clyde,

The Police Unions have spent years telling the public how dangerous the job is in order to generate more pay, higher benefits and so on for the Union membership.

People have blindly believed it for so long it's essentially become gospel. It's like what psychologists call "the illusion of truth" effect. It's been attributed to Germany in WWII, but I won't go there.

There's a very similar thing about Teachers. It's what I've dubbed "the story" and it goes along the lines of how they arrive for work at 6:30AM or so, work until around 5 or 6 PM, then go home, cook dinner for their families, then grade papers until close to midnight. Oh, and they also spend $200.00/month of their own money for school supplies that are required but not provided by the school district.

That story didn't work on me as my Mother was a teacher, 3 of my best friends have wives who are teachers, my next door neighbor for 7 years was a teacher and a guy I shoot with every week is a retired assistant principal/teacher with a retired teacher for a wife.

They all agree it's a bunch of bull put out by the teachers union and repeated endlessly by teachers with the same motives the police have with their story.
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: December 17th, 2021, 10:12 am

There are many jobs that are so much more dangerous than that of a police officer, and honestly, I don't know why they call it a "dangerous profession", most live to see retirement without ever having to "draw their gun". The work I do is probably more dangerous on a daily level, and injuries are common.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Yep. He tells the truth.
1008 deaths for construction workers
https://www.constructconnect.com/blog

469 deaths for officers.
https://www.odmp.org/
deadshot556

Post by deadshot556 »

Rock Hardson wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:13 am The level of ignorance of some in this thread is asstounding...

Even with all the video
I think it has more to do with the actions of the police over the last two years. Just an observation. The recent actions of the NYPD at applebees was it for me. YMMV
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

338lapua wrote: December 11th, 2021, 7:15 pm It was such a great shoot they paid the family 3 million.
Ha! This pretty much sums up this thread
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

And the City of Ferguson, Missouri paid $1.5 million to the family of the Gentle Giant, Michael Brown.
"Hands up. Don't shoot."