Haenel wins German G36 replacement award

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Slater
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Haenel wins German G36 replacement award

Post by Slater »

Heck, the Chinese are probably making knockoff parts as we speak :mrgreen:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... successor/

Rock Hardson

Re: Haenel wins German G36 replacement award

Post by Rock Hardson »

Some heads are probably rolling down the halls of H&K corporate headquarters.
Pscipio03

Post by Pscipio03 »

Not surprised. Three or four years ago the German government sued to try and break their G36 contract. They ultimately lost that suit since the issues that they were complaining about had been addressed and brought up in the evaluation phase years prior.
And I heard that the 416 was having overheating issues when put into field use.
HK has had a number of issues over the years- not the least of which was how controlling the Kraut government is with their weapons exportation. They have hamstrung HK from making money and if memory serves their German division was close to filing bankruptcy.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Well,...HK superiority continues to take hits.

Although HK successfully sued the German government to reverse the contract with Haenel and award it to HK after all,...time is telling that the selection of the Haenel rifle was the correct choice after all.

The Germany "Court of Auditors" have revealed the HK416A8 (known in German service as the G95A1) failed trials using standard issue military ammunition and that standards had to be reduced for it to pass. Apparently, in severe cold temps, German military ammunition produced insufficient accuracy in the 416. Civilian ammo was allowed to be substituted, and testing performed at room temp in order for the rifle to pass its accuracy threshold. I find that fascinating since German military ammo is legendary for being among the best available from any military contract anywhere in Europe. Perhaps only the Swiss ammo has a better reputation, with German, Austrian and Lithuanian ammo all being considered top notch. So what sort of civilian match grade ammo was necessary to pass the testing?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ge ... d04c&ei=50

The G36 was known to fail accuracy in heat, and now the 416 can't handle the cold. Maybe the next product should be named Goldilocks to get it juuuuust right.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:28 am The G36 was known to fail accuracy in heat
I think that is just an old wive's tale...

samnev

Post by samnev »

Forgotten Weapons presents a pretty god case that the G36 seems to be adequate for what it was designed for.