Remington Agrees to Sell Ammunition Business, Including Barnes Bullets, for $65 Million

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Remington Agrees to Sell Ammunition Business, Including Barnes Bullets, for $65 Million

Post by xerts1191 »

Thanks for posting, Rem definitely needs to get back on track, they have literally destroyed the Marlin reputation

QuietM4

Re: Remington Agrees to Sell Ammunition Business, Including Barnes Bullets, for $65 Million

Post by QuietM4 »

Remington has destroyed the reputation of every company it touches, Marlin is only the tip of the iceberg.

At SHOT, they always have a huge booth...but very little foot traffic this year. On the other hand, Geissele was just a few feet down the aisle, in a booth smaller than most master bedrooms, and they were surrounded all day.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Just another step in the destruction of Remington. Everything they've done in the last few years has been a disaster.
Cbvanb
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Cbvanb »

Remington is finished. Like Winchester, they will sell the name and someone will produce the product, but the tradition and history are gone.
curt1950

Post by curt1950 »

This happens all the time in manufacturing, bean counters buy a company and run it into the ground. Strip the patents and sell them , sell all the machinery then the building. They will make 25 % on their investment and move on. They don't care about the people or product.
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

I remember reading an article several months ago where the CEO of Remington Outdoor Company (ROC) was discussing the intention of selling off DPMS, Bushmaster, and the other established brands were that the market was saturated with other companies that produced products similar to ROC. He emphasized that he was also focusing on improving product quality by having fewer lines of business operating that produced similar items that were also produced by other companies. In my opinion, I will be watching over the coming years to see if their quality really does improve. Right now, I’m just really doubtful that it will improve in the future.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It's all BS... marketing optics... they are investing outfits, in it just for the $$ so they produce crap until nobody buys their crap anymore and then they sell it off piecemeal and go to the next one...
all crap I say...
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

New info; here is the rundown of who will win the bids for what (once the court approves);

Vista Outdoor; Lanoke Ammuntion business
Roundhill Group, LLC; Non-Marlin firearms business
Sierra Bullets; Barnes Ammunition
Sturm Ruger & Co; Marlin Firearms
JJE Capital Holding (Palmetto State Armory); DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC, and Parker.
Franklin Armory; Bushmaster Firearms
Sportsman's Warehouse; Tapco

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remin ... ushmaster/
Cbvanb

Post by Cbvanb »

I’m curious to see what Ruger does with Marlin. I suspect they will run it better but they might also move the plant again. They would risk losing all their experienced people.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Cbvanb wrote: September 29th, 2020, 2:15 pm I’m curious to see what Ruger does with Marlin. I suspect they will run it better but they might also move the plant again. They would risk losing all their experienced people.
It would be difficult for Ruger to make a worse product that Remington is currently making.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

Cbvanb wrote: September 29th, 2020, 2:15 pm I’m curious to see what Ruger does with Marlin. I suspect they will run it better but they might also move the plant again. They would risk losing all their experienced people.
Marlin doesn't have any experienced people. Very few followed the business when it moved. And frankly, you probably wouldn't want more than a handful anyway.

Ruger isn't stupid, and they understand Process Engineering very well, and especially Design for Manufacturability.

FIrst thing they will do is figure out which Marlin products have the most demand, then they will convert all of the old paper drawings to Solidworks or Pro-E or whatever CAD program they use.

Then they will spend 3 months re-toleranceing everything so stuff actually assembles without a ridiculous amount of hand-work. They will also build their own tooling and jigs instead of trying to use whatever Rem still has laying about.

I'd be shocked if we saw any new Marlins for at least 6 months, and SHOT 2022 is far more likely.
zold

Post by zold »

It is amazing that someone could run a company into the ground that makes guns and ammo during a time when those are the two things that local stores can't keep on the shelves.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

That's what happens when a bunch of suits try to take over a gun business. It's happened over and over again in this country. Some conglomerate comes along, sees a firearm business doing well, decides to buy it up as part of the "portfolio," makes changes to fit the corporate plan, and kills the firearm business in the process. Kinda like shooting the golden goose.