BLM is here to help you with new shooting ranges

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

BLM is here to help you with new shooting ranges

Post by delta6 »

For all those that thought this was a good idea and to those who said they wouldn't close areas of the desert and national forest... here ya go..
As usual, once the government gets involved, everything gets FUBAR'd

PDO_PDOEA, BLM_AZ BLM_AZ_PDO_PDOEA@blm.govHide
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Phoenix District Office announces a 60-day public comment period for proposed supplementary rules for developed recreation areas and sites within the district, including those associated with the recreational shooting sports sites in Maricopa and Pinal Counties.

In January, the BLM authorized the construction of five recreational shooting sports sites: Baldy Mountain, Box Canyon, Saddleback Mountain, Church Camp Road and Narramore Road. The new facilities will expand and enhance recreational shooting opportunities on public lands. To ensure safe use at each facility and at all developed recreation areas (or sites) within Phoenix District boundaries, restrictions and long-term closures of areas adjacent to shooting facilities would be implemented through the proposed supplementary rules.

A Notice of Proposed Supplementary Rules for Selected Public Lands for in Gila, Maricopa, Pima, Pinal and Yavapai Counties, AZ was published in the Federal Register today and is available along with maps and other information on the BLM ePlanning website at: https://go.usa.gov/xmfVv.

A 60-day public comment period for the proposed supplementary rules, including the long-term closure rule, ends on October 16, 2020. Upon the conclusion of the public comment period, the BLM would respond in a reasonable manner to any comments received. A final decision, in compliance with the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act (Public Law 116-9) on the proposed closures will be made available online at: https://go.usa.gov/xmfVv. A notice of final supplementary rules will be published in the Federal Register. This information will also be made available at the BLM Phoenix District Office, 21605 N. 7th Avenue, Phoenix and online.

For further information, contact Tyler Lindsey at the Phoenix District Office or by phone at (623) 580-5500.

dread_scott

Re: BLM is here to help you with new shooting ranges

Post by dread_scott »

While ive been 50/50 on the new shooting spots since they were announced, the passage you bolded isnt that damning.

While "long term" could mean permanent, it doesnt necessarily mean that. It also doesnt say all BLM land will have restrictions, just adjoining land while they figure it out. Im assuming to keep any workers safe from stray bullets while surveying?

While restrictions suck and we want freedom, do you want to be out measuring stuff while random people in the desert are popping off rounds? Unless i read it wrong, thats how im interpreting it.
dread_scott

Post by dread_scott »

Well reading more after clicking the link, it sounds like theyll be shutting down the adjacent area possibly for good to keep people from being down range? Its hard to tell as it all seems vague. No gps coordinates or other types of markers, just that itd affect 539 acres...
Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider »

The thing that people should really be concerned about is the AZ state rule about no target shooting on state land. The most ridiculous bunch of bullshit we have to contend with.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Pale Rider wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:19 am The thing that people should really be concerned about is the AZ state rule about no target shooting on state land. The most ridiculous bunch of bullshit we have to contend with.
I'll give you an "Amen" on that :clap:
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

LOL, you can believe what you want about what you read, but having dealt with these gubermint pundents for most of my life, what they say and what they do is entirely different,
they will shut down all adjacent areas, meaning anything with in a hundred miles, YOU folks dont get it
its their way of gaining control, and once they have ranges built, you can kiss regular access at anytime good bye, its what they do, erode your rights a tad at a time, so you don't notice.
They are not your friend, and do not work for YOU, i saw this coming and had voiced to most at the meeting what would come of this, well here it is.
think what you want how the rules will come out, but it will all boil down to" you do not have access for shooting, or traveling ect. " hand writing is over, execution is on its way
Rj
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Never attribute anything issued by a government agency as benevolent. Always regard it as malevolent. You may not be correct in that predisposition 100% of the time,...but you will be correct a WHOLE lot more than 50% of the time. Knockonit is right;...these people use different dictionaries than you do. "Adjacent" and "reasonable" don't mean a damned thing.

And I just tried to go to the BLM website,...and it's down. I guess they don't want to hear it.
Azrckcrawler

Post by Azrckcrawler »

The long term closure maps are available to view, under documents not maps for some reason. They appear to cover the area immediately around the shooting facilities and are smaller that the temporary construction zone closures from what I can see. Looks like common sense to me. There are hiking and offroad trails around and behind the north Phoenix locations. I have never seen anyone hiking at Baldy Mountain but there are geocaches at the top.
birdleggs1

Post by birdleggs1 »

I hope all you optimists are right, but in this case forgive me for being a little pessimistic.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

The camels nose is in the tent...
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

I can’t think of anything the government ever made better with its involvement.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.

Come on folks. Attributing any reasonable result, much less a good result, is looking for unicorns dancing on rainbows.
samnev

Post by samnev »

delta6 wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:23 am
Pale Rider wrote: August 17th, 2020, 9:19 am The thing that people should really be concerned about is the AZ state rule about no target shooting on state land. The most ridiculous bunch of bullshit we have to contend with.
I'll give you an "Amen" on that :clap:
A 2nd AMEN!!!
wetworker
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by wetworker »

Based on what i see at blm shooting spots cant blame blm for doing everything possible to shut them down. Ive cleaned up dumping and shooting spots on blm in Arizona since 2003 and its getting old. Pick it up ! All of it. brass , targets , trash that you found and decided to shoot and make even harder to pick up. Or you will be without a place to shoot. Leave it better than you found it.... I know preaching to the choir but its bad And getting worse every year the spots grow it size as does the trashed areas. just flew out to my place yesterday morning its close to a popular blm shooting spot friggin disgusting to see the trash left there from the air.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

What he said^^^