Colt selling AR15s to the general public again

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Colt selling AR15s to the general public again

Post by smithers599 »

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ar-15s/

Too little, too late. When they stopped selling to the public, I don’t remember a statement saying “Colt strongly supports the right of Americans to own AR15s. We plan to resume sales to the general public as soon as we are able."

338lapua

Re: Colt selling AR15s to the general public again

Post by 338lapua »

They do this every time they have a military contract, every time. Believe I said back then they would be back when the contract was over. Ar-15's are not that expensive to make. I can make upper and lower sets to mil spec for $100 out the door and still make profit on them. Gee I wonder if Colt has someone else do the receiver sets and everything else and is merely a assembler like most people that make AR-15's are??? Colt could easily sell them for $900-1,000 all day long and roll in the profit if they get rid of the middle men and make all the parts in house where they are not paying someones elses profit margin. If they shipped direct to dealers then the distributors would not be taking Colts profit margin from them. Yeah distributors simplify things somewhat but they take a chunk of profit for that.

Gun companies are run by the biggest idiots I have ever met in the business world. Now I hear Remington is going to be sold to a indian tribe and possibly be moved to a reservation, what could possibly go wrong.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

smithers599 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:22 am https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ar-15s/

Too little, too late. When they stopped selling to the public, I don’t remember a statement saying “Colt strongly supports the right of Americans to own AR15s. We plan to resume sales to the general public as soon as we are able."
They didn't say anything to the contrary either.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

When they stopped manufacturing ar15s, I recall the primary reason was that they were sitting on a massive stockpile that wasn't selling quickly. I thought the plan was that they were going to start turning them out again when the demand was back. Not surprised.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:59 am
smithers599 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:22 am https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ar-15s/

They didn't say anything to the contrary either.
You're right. I was wrong. There was much excitement in the fake news about how they had given in to the pressure to take evil assault weapons off the market after the Florida school shooting, but it was all generated by the Bradyists.
mrbogangles

Post by mrbogangles »

There are better option than Colt.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Saw a 6920 add today for only $2500....well it was the Magpul edition so that makes it worth it.
Bard

Post by Bard »

Nothing in the current Colt inventory will get my money. Not impressed with their company or their products. They haven't been innovators in a very long time and everything they currently build, someone else builds better.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Colt has sucked for a very long time. I've never understood the hype.
BlastWind

Post by BlastWind »

I just passed on a new Colt LE6920 for 1200 on a website 2 days ago. Went back 5 mins later and it was long gone.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 10:46 pm Made me happy to see them selling again after that contract was fulfilled.
More like they saw how much money other manufacturers were rolling in with all this mass panic buying and decided they wanted a slice.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Solar_Empire wrote: July 9th, 2020, 11:17 pm
AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 10:46 pm Made me happy to see them selling again after that contract was fulfilled.
More like they saw how much money other manufacturers were rolling in with all this mass panic buying and decided they wanted a slice.
More like, contract fulfilled, and are selling to the public again.
What was the contract? The estimated amount? Generally curious, if it was for the US government colt must have cranked out war time production numbers to shift gears so quickly. This is just prodding on my part, Colt themselves said they were focusing on rifles for gov contracts only and handguns for us (hint: return of the snake guns). They were losing money on the civilian long gun game, those colt competition bolt actions died pretty quick years ago. I'm glad they missed out on the bulk of the cash cow, F'em. Anyone who buys one now is a sucker.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

AZ1182 wrote: July 10th, 2020, 12:17 am
Solar_Empire wrote: July 9th, 2020, 11:54 pm
AZ1182 wrote: July 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm More like, contract fulfilled, and are selling to the public again.
What was the contract? The estimated amount? Generally curious, if it was for the US government colt must have cranked out war time production numbers to shift gears so quickly. This is just prodding on my part, Colt themselves said they were focusing on rifles for gov contracts only and handguns for us (hint: return of the snake guns). They were losing money on the civilian long gun game, those colt competition bolt actions died pretty quick years ago. I'm glad they missed out on the bulk of the cash cow, F'em. Anyone who buys one now is a sucker.
You're forgetting two important things here:

1. I don't have a spur up my ass for them so my opinion won't be so radically biased, and even if I did, I sure as heck won't be having that temper tantrum that you're having if people express interests or have already made it known that that they got one either. Tribalism is a terrible thing, you should strive to avoid making enemies with your own community over stupid things like "Don't like what I don't like"

2. Their business, their rules. If you don't like it, then don't buy or or care about any who do buy from them and letting that hate consume you.

Besides, I can think a lot of reasons that are legitimate for hating, like Troy Industries for backing up the guy they hired that was okay with his partner killing a pregnant lady that was holding her kid and was plainly unarmed. That's legitimate reasoning to be mad or at least upset at anyone whom is okay with that. But this whining and crying that they sell at prices I hate and do things that I disprove of and hurt my feelings that I cannot control based on low emotional intelligence, is not any reason to hate on them much less people that buy from them, for that matter either.

And for the record....nope, just because what anyone buys that you disproves of that didn't effect you in any way, shape or form, doesn't make them a sucker at all. It just means that your feelings got hurt because you had put yourself into that position to allow yourself to be upset.
Same people who cry over Colts price buy a Noveske for even more money made from the same forging because its worth it.

Troy industries hired two bad apples. Dale Monroe who was part of the killing of a innocent mother holding a child as well as murdering people trying to escape a burning church in Waco, police your brass assholes. They also hired Jody Weiss who was a rabid anti gun Chicago cop for their LE training division.

Colt does retain value where a lot of other brands do not. Never sold a Colt bought right for a loss, always broke even or made money.