A**hat policy at Cabela's ('n Bass Pro)

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: A**hat policy at Cabela's ('n Bass Pro)

Post by xerts1191 »

AZ Husker wrote: June 7th, 2020, 4:21 pm As a kid growing up in Nebraska it was always a treat to go to the original (and only) Cabela's. It wasn't a shrine to testosterone like today. Their bargain basement could keep you busy for hours. I'm sorry to see it grow so much and fall to Bass Pro. It used to be a shop folks would drive to from miles away.
Somebody did a piece on how bad this merge was for the town of Sidney, Nebr. That was our Saturday entertainment, we’d drive in from the Tech. College do our laundry and hit Cabela’s, then top it off with a movie downtown

AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Closing that original store in Sidney devastated the small town.
bill460

Post by bill460 »

When I lived right off 103rd Ave. & Camelback, I frequented Cabela's quite often. They have many good deals, but you have to know what you're looking for. You can't just blindly walk in and expect to get a good deal. Someone has to pay for all that taxidermy, inventory, and air conditioning. Cabela's pays for their guns up front in cash, and they purchase in very large amounts. Which is why they have several models in stock at good prices, that the mom and pop shops can't even get. Or else put you on a waiting list for.

I purchased several new guns from them at very good prices. Again, you have to watch for sales, and I ALWAYS used the "$50.00 Off" coupon. They will honor it even on many sale items.... Guns included. Now that we've moved to Lake Havasu City, I strictly do the mail order thing. But if I did buy a gun from them, they will ship to several dealers in the area here. So it's not a big deal.

I've also gotten some good deals at Sportsman's Warehouse. I usually avoid both on the weekends, and shopped early in the morning on weekdays. (I'm retired). I've been there on weekday mornings, and except for the employees and a few other retired guys, I was about the only one there.

As far as the whole, "take-a-number" deal. The only time I ever saw it was when the gun counter was really busy on Black Friday, and up until after Christmas on weekends. And you only needed one to buy, not to browse for ammo and gun related items. So it was never an issue, because I only went gun shopping there on weekdays early to avoid all of that. But I will agree that Bass Pro taking it over, certainly did not improve things the least bit.
Dace

Post by Dace »

Boriqua wrote: June 5th, 2020, 6:44 am So I am not getting it. What is the procedure? you take a number but they were out of numbers by 11am. Then what .. do you walk around the store and they call your number sometime before 5pm over the loudspeaker.

I dont really have need to go to either .. just curious. So many places and people doing "things" because they have to appear to be doing "something" ... its all very odd to watch.
My guess its a COVID policy only allowing X amount of people into areas over a certain amount of time. And they ran out early therefore no more allowed.
K10chvy77

Post by K10chvy77 »

I live 2 miles away from Cabela's. Only time I go there is to let the kids walk around or if I need a last minute item before going camping/fishing/hunting. Also if someone gives me a gift card to there.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

How quickly people forget that Bass Pro was anti AR and anti self defensive handgun and didnt carry either till Remington put camo on a hunting AR. Major Zumbo fudd phuktards.

Never forget what they think of you.
AZG23

Post by AZG23 »

Yep.. Haven't been back in awhile.. No real reason to.
mbaza3

Post by mbaza3 »

Cabela's makes you feel like they are doing you a favor buy selling overpriced guns with an attitude. I cut them out a while ago and find good deals online and ship them to my local FFL.
Mauser98

Post by Mauser98 »

Those places are what I call a noob trap. People who are new to guns or have other primary hobbies might not realize everything there is slightly overpriced. Also they pass off a lot of trash like Pro Mag mags...
Flash

Post by Flash »

I bought a Henry Golden Boy there for Mrs. Flash when I found that they were selling them at the cheapest price I could find anywhere on the net. I bought it with Cabela's Bucks so it cost me nothing.

I've also bought 2 Sig P220s from their gun library, one from the one in Glendale and one from the Internet gun library. Both were rock bottom prices for the guns and both guns were in almost unfired condition.

There are deals there, you just have to be patient and look for them.

Edited to add:

Just bought 5 flats of Winchester AA 20 Gauge from Bass pro online. They have them on sale for $8.69 plus Winchester has a $2.00/box rebate so it comes out to $6.69/box which is a very good deal, especially if you reload AAs.

28 gauge and 410 bore are $8.69/box after the sale and rebate. Shipping is FedEx and free.
gunsnboobs

Post by gunsnboobs »

Never been in one, meh.

Never been in Dick's either, according to my username I'm not gay so there's that.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I’ve never been to either one. Sounds like I am not missing anything.