Rio Salado open but......

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Rio Salado open but......

Post by pneuby »

Shooter's World is only allowing every other lane. Had to wait 20mins once, but not too bad.

Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

Well Casa Grande is closed "indefinitely". I went down there this morning because I needed benches and the 300yd but they've got a sign up that it's closed indefinitely. Someone wrote "Libtards" on the sign; it wasn't me, but I support that message...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Gatsby wrote: April 20th, 2020, 8:32 am Well Casa Grande is closed "indefinitely". I went down there this morning because I needed benches and the 300yd but they've got a sign up that it's closed indefinitely. Someone wrote "Libtards" on the sign; it wasn't me, but I support that message...
Jesus....ENOUGH. Someone needs to rip down the sign and shoot anyhow....public range, paid with taxpayer money....

I don't know about you, but I'm sick and damned tired of this 'poor mans virus'....driving in Scottsdale the other day, parks open, people walking, kids playing....in contrast to Mesa, where the parks are CLOSED, benches roped off, a few people hanging around their cars in the parking lot, that's it. Having more money makes you immune?
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

I'd like a status as well. What are the weekdays like ? anyone?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I was there on Sunday afternoon...full range, about 5 people waiting in line for the main range. I just had to check-in for the member's high-power range.

I also shot today, about 1pm. 6 people on the range. No wait, no lines.

I talked to a range officer; Ben Avery is closed because it is managed and operated by AZGFD. Rio is a technically a private range, open to the public, operated on land leased from AZGFD, so the decision to stay open is up to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club leadership.
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

Rio was fine yesterday.
Flash

Re: I went today.

Post by Flash »

Jager wrote: April 30th, 2020, 1:01 am Daily range fee has gone from $10 to $15. That is insane.

Went from $4 in 1991 to $10 up until April 2020. $6 increase over about 30 years.

$5 increase in the midst of this coronavirus garbage in a single year. Opportunistic?
The new Range Master is looking for ways to make more money throughout the range. Look for prices for things that were free before and increases on all that wasn't free.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

Damn, that's quite the increase.

I remember looking at their membership rates and there was a $75 initiation fee on top of the membership cost that made me decide against it. Now it looks like there is only a $25 admin fee. Maybe they are trying to push people to membership? Maybe it changed a long time ago and I just never looked. If you go once a month the membership would pay for itself at this point.
Doc Holliday

Re: I went today.

Post by Doc Holliday »

Jager wrote: April 30th, 2020, 1:01 am Daily range fee has gone from $10 to $15. That is insane.

Went from $4 in 1991 to $10 up until April 2020. $6 increase over about 30 years.

$5 increase in the midst of this coronavirus garbage in a single year. Opportunistic?
$15 per person to shoot? That's ridiculous.
ooda

Post by ooda »

Yes it's a bit ridiculous, but then there is no time limit at the range if I remember. Its been at least 3yrs. since I last visited there. Some indoor ranges are $15 and higher depending where you go and that's for an hour. Are their targets still 25 cents or possible that has gone up in price also.
Papago

Post by Papago »

What does Ben Avery or Phx Rod and Gun cost per day?
Papago

Post by Papago »

$15 does seem a little out of line then. I am a member but did notice the price increase. I am out at least twice a month sometimes more so membership is worth it to me.
baja

Post by baja »

Ben Avery- $7
Rio -$15

Greedy Bastards are apparently in charge at Rio.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

baja wrote: April 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm Ben Avery- $7
Rio -$15

Greedy Bastards are apparently in charge at Rio.
Rio Salado Sportsmans Club is a nonprofit corporation, using land leased from AZGFD. Ben Avery is owned and operated by AZGFD. That is why Rio charges $15, and Ben Avery charges $7. But, feel free to purchase your own large plot of land, develop it into a shooting range, pay the insurance premiums and taxes, and charge the public whatever you want for range time.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Wow, I don't really see a reason why a $5 jump during hard times like this is necessary. Their range, their rules I guess, but I'll have to take another serious look at joining PRGC, which is much closer anyhow...