Rio Salado open but......

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Solar_Empire
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Rio Salado open but......

Post by Solar_Empire »

QuietM4 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 5:34 pm
baja wrote: April 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm Ben Avery- $7
Rio -$15

Greedy Bastards are apparently in charge at Rio.
Rio Salado Sportsmans Club is a nonprofit corporation, using land leased from AZGFD. Ben Avery is owned and operated by AZGFD. That is why Rio charges $15, and Ben Avery charges $7. But, feel free to purchase your own large plot of land, develop it into a shooting range, pay the insurance premiums and taxes, and charge the public whatever you want for range time.
They rent the land for $1 a year. I think what is making people ticked is that they jumped the price almost as much in one day as it has in 25 years...They seemed to be doing just fine until covid hit. At the very least, poor timing on their part. Unless every outdoor shooting spot and indoor range out east is closed I'm never going back.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Solar_Empire wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:05 pm
Rio -$15

Rio Salado Sportsmans Club is a nonprofit corporation, using land leased from AZGFD. Ben Avery is owned and operated by AZGFD. That is why Rio charges $15, and Ben Avery charges $7. But, feel free to purchase your own large plot of land, develop it into a shooting range, pay the insurance premiums and taxes, and charge the public whatever you want for range time.
Unless every outdoor shooting spot and indoor range out east is closed I'm never going back.
Great. I'm sure they will be heartbroken to lose your business.

I didn't join RSSC to use the main range...I did it because there are 6 other ranges you can access as a member. When I use the High Power range, a "busy" day is when you see 3 other shooters on the range at the same time. The membership has it's benefits.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

QuietM4 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Unless every outdoor shooting spot and indoor range out east is closed I'm never going back.

I didn't join RSSC to use the main range...I did it because there are 6 other ranges you can access as a member. When I use the High Power range, a "busy" day is when you see 3 other shooters on the range at the same time. The membership has it's benefits.
And I'm sure they appreciate your money. It'll be interesting to see if shooter volume on those other ranges increases now that they are just increasing the price because they feel like it, but I guess that'll be your problem to worry about.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Solar_Empire wrote: April 30th, 2020, 7:26 pm
QuietM4 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 6:43 pm

And I'm sure they appreciate your money. It'll be interesting to see if shooter volume on those other ranges increases now that they are just increasing the price because they feel like it, but I guess that'll be your problem to worry about.
The shooter volume won't increase...the hoops you have to jump through to get access stops the majority of members. I'd be surprised if 400 people have access to all the member ranges.
baja

Post by baja »

Rio -$15

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.
But remember that the land "leased from AZGFD" is taxpayer land. With all the new construction at Rio maybe they got in a little over their head? All I know is $15 is starting to sound like price gouging.
Oh, and if you know how I can get 160 acres for $1/yr I'll be happy to develop a range.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Perhaps it will return to the lower price when they are able to fill all slots. Might see this in eateries only filling 25% price increase should not surprise but to soon to call.
Flash

Post by Flash »

They've got a new manager and he's empire building. Any member that opposes him gets tossed out either temporarily or permanently.

Something to think about for those of you who shoot there.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

They like for their minions not to talk back to them even if they are in the wrong. That's why, I believe it rule 14, is there. I believe it states what ever they say ,goes.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

When I think about it,... really think about it,... with the horror stories I have heard, about the safety violations by (a minority) of some shooters,... Range Officer isn't a job I would put at the top of my list! :whistle:

_________________________________________________________________________ Oscar Wilde,... “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” _______________________________________________________________

Creator Endowed Unalienable Human Rights, forever!

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Last edited by shooter444 on May 12th, 2020, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

shooter444 wrote: May 11th, 2020, 9:40 am When I think about it,... really think about it,... with the horror stories I have heard, about the safety violations by (a minority) of some shooters,... Range Officer isn't a job I would put at the top of my list!
There are good safety officers and there are bad ones. The ones at C2 Tactial are great. The ones at Rio, not so great.

They've obviously been taught to escalate situations so they can take disciplinary action rather than deescalate them which is how they should be taught.

And no, I've never had a run in with an RO in any range I've ever shot at. I just pay attention to what's going on around me.

Interestingly enough, 8 of the 17 members of my weekly shooting group refuse to ever go to Rio Salado again and one of them is a past Treasurer of the club there. He resigned in disgust over the way they treat people.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Power corrupts,... absolute power,... corrupts, absolutely!!!

Creator Endowed Unalienable Human Rights, forever!

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Last edited by shooter444 on May 12th, 2020, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

shooter444 wrote: May 11th, 2020, 1:09 pm Power corrupts,... absolute power,... corrupts, absolutely!!!
You got that right.😜
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Rio is the closest range to me, and the one I use the least. Public range is painful to use. As a member I could never actually use any of the bays, fully booked up. The matches? They are just a constant repeat of the same designs.
I'll continue to occasionally hit a match there, but nothing like the amount I use Pima Pistol Club, PRG or even just shooting in the desert.
vvalter_vvhite

Post by vvalter_vvhite »

Rio is also the closest to me now so that is my default range. On my first day there, when I was all packed and ready to go home, I took my bag and tried to leave while range was cold and the old guy with mustache and beard (he looks like David Knight) shouted at me because I violated the policy. Anyway I don't blame him as I was at fault for not knowing the rule. But he could have just told me in a nice way. Same guy shouted at someone trying to go out of the range with his AR pointing down and closed action. There are good, polite and friendly RO's and there are ill tempered ones too. As long as you do not violate their rules, they will not bother you. When I get bored of shooting paper targets, I bring my gongs to my old hood, Casa Grande :D...
Bard

Post by Bard »

I've had mostly good experiences at Rio, but I got yelled at for an action "not being open" on cold range---it was in a case sitting on the table. The case was partially open, as I was unpacking when range was called cold. I stepped back behind the line and the R.O. came down the line doing his 'I'm going to do a colonoscopy' attitude and decided I should be the daily example. I just stared ahead and nodded; one of the benefits of wearing ear plugs and muffs at the same time is that it drowns out stupid, along with gun blasts