Hmmm, people are shooting it up in Odessa / Midland right now

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Hmmm, people are shooting it up in Odessa / Midland right now

Post by Miker12 »

Active shooter driving in stolen US mail truck kills at least one and injures at least 30 on a rampage in the Texas cities of Midland and Odessa

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Texas.html

more to come

Steve_In_29

Re: Hmmm, people are shooting it up in Odessa / Midland right now

Post by Steve_In_29 »

There are two shooters in different vehicles.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

There is one shooter and he is dead.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

Summary:

(As of 8pm ET) Reportedly around 3:17pm central time, suspect was stopped in Midland by state police for traffic violation, suspect shot officer, fled, shooting multiple people, then later stole US Postal vehicle, headed towards Odessa, randomly shooting, with majority of shots occurring near Odessa Home Depot. Suspect was confronted, then shot and killed by police near Cinergy Odessa theater. Police have confirmed 5 dead and 20+ injured, including 3 officers -- one state trooper, one Midland officer and one Odessa officer.

MSM is praying the shooter is a white male

Meanwhile, let's see how fast the MSM will blame the left's anti-police rhetoric for this incident. I won't hold my breath.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Please please please let him have bought gun legally with background check and not at gun show. He is white male but please please please let him be Biden supporter.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: August 31st, 2019, 3:48 pm There is one shooter and he is dead.
Reporting was initially of two shooters since the fact he switched vehicles wasn't caught at the time.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Steve_In_29 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 6:52 pm
Ballistic Therapy wrote: August 31st, 2019, 3:48 pm There is one shooter and he is dead.
Reporting was initially of two shooters since the fact he switched vehicles wasn't caught at the time.
I heard that also.
Right after you posted they came out and said it was only one shooter.
I should have worded it better. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: August 31st, 2019, 7:01 pm I heard that also.
Right after you posted they came out and said it was only one shooter.
I should have worded it better. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong.
That's alright, as I was wrong.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

any updates? I just got home and am not seeing this on the news right now.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

This wasn't a pre planned attack. It will fade away quickly. Started as a traffic stop.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: August 31st, 2019, 9:31 pm This wasn't a pre planned attack. It will fade away quickly. Started as a traffic stop.
I fear it will be characterized as "the last straw" illustrating the urgent need for red flag laws, universal background checks, and magazine capacity limits. If he used anything that could remotely be characterized as an "assault weapon," then those too.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

Crippledtrigger wrote: August 31st, 2019, 9:31 pm This wasn't a pre planned attack. It will fade away quickly. Started as a traffic stop.
So three questions since I have been following this REALLY close (kept prints of all news stories from the day even overseas):

1) why did the man who was pulled over have enough ammo to shoot that much? I mean, when I am coming back from the range I still have a few hundred rounds so that is a possibility.

2) the news specifically stated that a suspect was arrested at the movie theater. Videos and photos show proof of that.

3) the main shooter was killed during arrest but why was he being pulled over in the first place? Red Flag type report? No name is being released until the FB and other pages can be scrubbed and rearranged to match the narrative.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

This was 4 hours from me so my info is what I hear from people who are in the area. The area is really a modern version of a boom town. Midland and Odessa are 15 miles apart but really considered one area.

I thought this was traffic stop went bad. Since I posted that a few details make me think there was possibly more to it and more arrests to come. As of now that's my thinking

The shooter was known to police. An anti social anti government or sovereign citizen type are all things I've heard. There were 2 troopers in the car that pulled him over for not signaling a turn. Add this together and they were stopping him for a reason other than not signaling a turn. They think he or his group, no explanation of what his group means re what they are or beliefs are, had something planned and were trying to stop him before it started and he figured the jig was up and went for maximum damage on his way out.

As far as amount of ammo and why? A couple mags is enough to do what he did and if he was in the planning stages who knows.

No red flag laws here, yet, but he was a known problem causer and if they got a tip it's not hard to find a reason to stop you. I think this is likely what happened. It also explains the limited info, if they are investigating this group planned attack thing.

A couple other items, the usps and ups recalled all their employees that were in the field. Got that from both a postal employee and ups employee. Ups does some sat deliveries.

Was the usps employee killed and his van taken an opportunity or actually a target? Dont know but think it's odd they recalled all delivery staff.

What ever caused the start it devolved into a spree killer s*** fest.

I hope it was just a traffic stop and a loony who cracked. A right wing Extremists anti government terrorists group would be the worst possible scenario.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Latest reporting says when he openned fire on the cops pulling him over, it was with a rifle.

Sooooooooo,...looks like this is going to be an assault rifle thing. Perhaps mixed in with some sort of hate-fueled anti-brown people thing? I got a bad feeling about this one.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

This one is kind of weird. Not in the act itself, that is weird enough, but the coverage. Usually within a couple of hours Heavy.com has a write up on the suspect and there is some updated news. Not to sound like a ghoul but there are almost Zero new details this morning. Many of the stories available were posted 16 hours or so ago. I read a LOT of news.

They are really keeping a lid on this one. No conspiracy theory jazz from me .. just noting it.

Make up of the victims .. nothing. Guess it can be attributed to ongoing investigation if there is a larger group involved but still .. BIG story with no updates.

Then .. funny but the reverse psychology must be working on me because I EXPECT to hear assault weapon or assault rifle accompanying these stories and so far after reading about the shooting in a dozen places .. no mention of Assault something.

Just kind of weird