The Mormon plan for active shooters

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Mormon plan for active shooters

Post by admin »

AZGlock21 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 10:07 am So admin, what is it that makes you seem so uniquely qualified to discuss the workings, insurance, level of testimony, ect of the Mormon church and its members? Member? Was a member? Leader? Just has friends that are members? You seem to have all the answers.
Nothing in particular - at least no more so than others participating in this thread. Not sure even where you get that I am presenting myself as "uniquely qualified". I'm simply providing my opinions based on my knowledge and experience.

smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by smithers599 »

AZGlock21, are you aware of a procedure for the members to petition the leadership to change a policy? Would it be just individual letters? A petition with X number of signatures? An assembly or committee?
Thanks.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

smithers599 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 11:03 am AZGlock21, are you aware of a procedure for the members to petition the leadership to change a policy? Would it be just individual letters? A petition with X number of signatures? An assembly or committee?
Thanks.
About the only thing one can do is to first discuss your concern with your local leadership. They can pass it along "up the chain" if you will. You are also free to write a letter to church headquarters in Salt Lake. There is no policy nor would it be considered acceptable to start a petition or collect signatures.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Talking with your Bishop, on most matters of concern, usually results in answers without the need to go any further,... in my experience.
AZGlock21

Post by AZGlock21 »

shooter444 wrote: August 29th, 2019, 11:56 am Talking with your Bishop, on most matters of concern, usually results in answers without the need to go any further,... in my experience.
Correct, but according to the General Handbook of Instructions your local leaders are where you are to go. Meaning Bishop or Stake President. Letters or phone calls to Salt Lake are "Discouraged".

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this policy is not going to go away.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

admin wrote: August 26th, 2019, 6:57 pm Never miss an opportunity to bash Mormons, right? :teasing-poke:

I think it would be rare for you to find an organization as large as that, that isn't a "gun organization" that openly invites people to carry weapons there. I guarantee you that policy is there and "clarified" due to potential liability concerns, which no organization is immune to.

That said, do you see them installing metal detectors or checking bags at the entrances? 'nuff said.
My bank has a no firearms sign in real small letters. I asked about it and the managers at every branch I went to said no problem it is because of insurance we are required to have it and they know I violate the policy every time I enter. Two managers I know carry. I shoot with their armed security all the time and they know and never harass customers. I usually take my dog with me and have been asked to stay when the manager felt uneasy about a client. I was asked to help remove a crazy person with the help of the dog. For some reason she left very quickly when I turned the dog on, she was armed with a knife which she dropped on threat of a dog attack.

So yeah there are a lot of places that are required to post for insurance policies. Post or no insurance coverage. Some of the posted places are happy for those of us that do carry. My company was signed for no weapons for over 20 years but anyone with a ccw who shot with our group was authorized to carry, usually about 30 armed men there at any given time including long guns. Insurance company insisted or no coverage but we had a exemption for employees but outsiders were not allowed in with guns.
AJS214

Post by AJS214 »

I'm under the impression from looking around on LDS discussion boards that the Church has been quietly divided over this subject for some time now, earlier than Utah meetinghouses adopting a ban in 2004. Some of the senior leadership seems to have been under the impression that you can stock food but not also ammunition and nothing bad can come of this.

If a mass shooting would enabled as a result of this, my initial suspicions would bet on the shooter being a former member.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

DrEarlCordova wrote: August 26th, 2019, 6:01 pm Almost all the Mormons I know are anti gun.
Then your sample size of one, is the only one.

EVERY persona of the Mormon faith I have met in the past, worked with, worked for, and currently know is Pro 2A, a firearm owner, and many are collectors and enthusiasts. ...and I know plenty.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Mr_Maim wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:05 pm
DrEarlCordova wrote: August 26th, 2019, 6:01 pm Almost all the Mormons I know are anti gun.
Then your sample size of one, is the only one.

EVERY persona of the Mormon faith I have met in the past, worked with, worked for, and currently know is Pro 2A, a firearm owner, and many are collectors and enthusiasts. ...and I know plenty.

PLUS 10 , Mr_Maim,... I don't understand where some folks get their info!
dotard

Post by dotard »

I too have not met an anti 2A Mormon. The ones I have hung out and shot with were very knowledgable and involved their whole family in shooting and hunting.