US Army ditching 5.56 for 6.8

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: US Army ditching 5.56 for 6.8

Post by shooter444 »

Harrier wrote: October 28th, 2018, 9:08 am
storage_man wrote: October 27th, 2018, 5:29 am Just think in a couple of years there will be Millions of 5.56 milsurp flooding the market @ $.15 per round.
and milsurp 6.5 brass... cheap

Unless a connected capitalist calls in some payed for favors and winds up with a monopolizing surplus contract, on all brass and surplus ammo!

Seems like,... NOW,... would b a good time to start some circumventing actions against the possibility, by a forward thinking entrepreneur,... just say'n! :idea:

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

shooter444 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 10:20 am
storage_man wrote: October 27th, 2018, 5:29 am Just think in a couple of years there will be Millions of 5.56 milsurp flooding the market @ $.15 per round.

Unless a connected capitalist calls in some payed for favors and winds up with a monopolizing surplus contract, on all brass and surplus ammo!

Seems like,... NOW,... would b a good time to start some circumventing actions against the possibility, by a forward thinking well-connected entrepreneur, with lots of $$$... just say'n! :idea:
... there, I fixed it for ya'
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

shooter444 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 10:20 am

Seems like,... NOW,... would b a good time to start some circumventing actions against the possibility, by a forward thinking entrepreneur,... just say'n! :idea:
As someone who does ammo pull downs they are very unlikely to allow it out unless there is a pull down contract on that ammo. They may let federal agencies or police departments buy it but the American citizen probably not. Maybe if it goes through CMP we may get it intact but more than likely it will be for pull down and reassembly.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I was thinking of fired brass... as I agree, pull downs may be scarce... oem how about over-runs or burning the midnight oil ?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Harrier wrote: October 28th, 2018, 12:25 pm I was thinking of fired brass... as I agree, pull downs may be scarce... oem how about over-runs or burning the midnight oil ?
6.8 is already showing up in auctions but not tons of it yet. it will probably be several years before 5.56 is completely phased out and possibly longer.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

shooter444 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:59 am "Mikhail Kalashnikov wanted to update the x39 round with modern powder and bullets but he was overruled due to the Russian higher ups being sure the Americans must know something their own weapons people couldn't figure out about the 5.56."

Yup,... the munition suppliers knew something about the 5.56×45mm NATO, or at least (imo) they had a good guess about it,...

"The percentage is entirely down to what individuals are involved and their marksmanship, as previously stated in the Vietnam war the american troops required roughly 50 000 rounds to kill a single enemy combatant whilst the marine snipers on average used 1.33 rounds per kill."

Everything in a Capitalist based economic system boils down to one thing,... MONEY!

And, in most cases , I wouldn't have it any other way! 8-)
Was there a point in there somewhere?

Nothing you posted applied to what I wrote.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

shooter444 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:59 am "Mikhail Kalashnikov wanted to update the x39 round with modern powder and bullets but he was overruled due to the Russian higher ups being sure the Americans must know something their own weapons people couldn't figure out about the 5.56."

Yup,... the munition suppliers knew something about the 5.56×45mm NATO, or at least (imo) they had a good guess about it,...

"The percentage is entirely down to what individuals are involved and their marksmanship, as previously stated in the Vietnam war the american troops required roughly 50 000 rounds to kill a single enemy combatant whilst the marine snipers on average used 1.33 rounds per kill."

Everything in a Capitalist based economic system boils down to one thing,... MONEY!

And, in most cases , I wouldn't have it any other way! 8-)
WTF is "50 000 rounds to kill a single enemy combatant" mean ? Is it 50 rounds followed by 000 ? or 50,000 ? :shifty:
redj

Post by redj »

That 50,000 rounds to kill a single enemy is a ridiculous statement anyway.
There might have been that many rounds used up during the Viet Nam war , but they weren't all fired at the enemy. Even if they were it is still ridiculous to compare it to a sniper I don't care what branch they were in.
i303

Post by i303 »

Yeah, we’ve been down this road before. It needs to happen, it’s going to happen but a literal lifetime will pass before we see it happen.

And once it’s been blessed it will take a better part of a decade to totally incorporate such transition.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

WOW!!! Some folks get their panties in a twist over some trivial s*** on the net!!!

The point, gentlemen, was to try and point out the monetary gains of supplying government munitions in a time of WAR!!! Internet Trivia Stats like I posted are probably what a government contractor would consider before making further investments,,... like,... setting up production for supplying a possible major caliber change.

It really doesn't take much to find such internet trivia stats,... and it only takes about as much time to find more internet trivia stats to support it,... and it obviously doesn't take much to expose a neurotic troll triggered by a typo missed comma. :dance:

Bellow are some more internet trivia stats on rounds fired and KIA for Nam,... you do the math.

",...ESTIMATED 5 BILLION BULLETS FIRED IN VIETNAM: .30 caliber carbine, .30 caliber (30-06) M1 Garand, .30 caliber Browning machine gun, .50 caliber Browning machine gun (B52 tail gunners fired quad fifties downing two NVAF MiG21s in 1972), M60 machine guns (.308 caliber/7.62mm NATO), .223 caliber (5.56mm NATO), .45 caliber (M3 Grease guns & Thompson submachineguns), .38 revolver (carried by many US airmen in Vietnam).

Note: US Armored Cavalry/Mechanized Infantry/Tank Battalions carried and expended about 1/2 million rounds per battalion every 30 to 60 days. Which would be about 6 million rounds expended or destroyed per year per battalion; there were 23 such battalions in South Vietnam. Straight grunt battalions (Straight leg units/regular infantry) carried far less ammunition; each M16 bandoleer consisted of 7 twenty round magazines & the average grunt packed 5 to 7 such bandoleers But they were almost always loaded with only 18 rounds instead of 20 to prevent jamming, therefore each bandoleer contained roughly 126 M16 rounds (7 bandoleers consisted of about 882 rounds, so 10 men carried about 8,820 cartridges). Helicopter door gunners added to the formula.

SPONSORED BY LIFE LANES Life Lanes
Insights for navigating a better life
A community of experts provides you with quick t...

SEE MORE
How many casualties were there in the Vietnam War?
5 million. - USA : 58'209 KIA (killed in action) + 2'000 missing - North Vietnam Army + NLF (also called Viet Cong) : 800'000 KIA + 300'000 MIA (missing in action), total 1'100'000 losses - South Vietnam Army (ARVN) : ~250'000 KIA - Vietnamese civilians : estimates vary greatly, from 1 to 4 m,... "
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Update:
“A new Army assault rifle will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain, and soldier use, Army Chief of Staff. Gen. Mark Milley told The Military Times.”
https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-r ... ult-rifles

Wow. Pretty impressive ballistics, General!
:roll:
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

smithers599 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 9:48 am Update:
“A new Army assault rifle will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain, and soldier use, Army Chief of Staff. Gen. Mark Milley told The Military Times.”
https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-r ... ult-rifles

Wow. Pretty impressive ballistics, General!
:roll:
Wonder how much he is getting paid at his new job when he leaves the military for that review? I feel dumber for reading that statement. I just don't see where the ballistics of a AK-47 round copied is anything to get excited about. I own body armor that a .308 and a 30-06 is incapable of penetrating but the magic 6.8is going to shred it? Guess I better upgrade.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: October 27th, 2018, 10:19 pm Leave it to the Army to choose the wrong round.

The 6.5Gren is a better round that chases down the 6.8 by 100yds and out preforms it after that. It gives near .308 performance from even the M4.
Nice opinion.
Well I know the Armed Forces spent more money than they should have and employed a lot of people and tested it for a long time. Now is it the best? Well EVERYONE including steve 29 has their opinion on the subject. But a lot of smart people looked into this. Now that there are all these Variants of AR's they are looking into other options. Yes 308 is always nice, so is 7.62x54.
Basher

Post by Basher »

17-21-23 wrote: September 1st, 2019, 6:34 pm
Steve_In_29 wrote: October 27th, 2018, 10:19 pm Leave it to the Army to choose the wrong round.

The 6.5Gren is a better round that chases down the 6.8 by 100yds and out preforms it after that. It gives near .308 performance from even the M4.
Nice opinion.
Well I know the Armed Forces spent more money than they should have and employed a lot of people and tested it for a long time. Now is it the best? Well EVERYONE including steve 29 has their opinion on the subject. But a lot of smart people looked into this. Now that there are all these Variants of AR's they are looking into other options. Yes 308 is always nice, so is 7.62x54.
Did you REALLY need to necro-post in order to continue the childish quarreling that you two are going through in a completely different thread?! Knock this crap off! :x
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Or what???
No crap going on. This is a open fourm to the public. Are you trying to silence people and their opinions too.