Thompson Center is back

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Thompson Center is back

Post by xerts1191 »

leadman1

Re: Thompson Center is back

Post by leadman1 »

Will wait and see how this plays out. I have Encores and Contenders. Will be surprised if they bring the Contender back.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

T/C was always a niche in a niche. Smith & Wesson destroyed their reputation, just like they are destroying Gemtech's.

I don't expect them to make any type of big comeback, other than old dudes buying wildcat single shot pistols, and then complaining "they made them better back in my day..."
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

QuietM4 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:51 pm T/C was always a niche in a niche. Smith & Wesson destroyed their reputation, just like they are destroying Gemtech's.

I don't expect them to make any type of big comeback, other than old dudes buying wildcat single shot pistols, and then complaining "they made them better back in my day..."
haha, i hope i'm around when you be an old guy and listen to your stories, just remember if you live long enough you soon find out what a hypocrit one was when younger. :lol: :whistle:

rj, an ole guy and been there done that, and still wrong having done so
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

QuietM4 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:51 pm T/C was always a niche in a niche. Smith & Wesson destroyed their reputation, just like they are destroying Gemtech's.

OK, I'll go first, I have several, bought my first TC from Smittys a super-14 in 30-30, not real functional just a fun shooter. Sold it and picked up a super-14 in .223. Another fun shooter and dispatched a lot of yotes and several Javelina with it. Last pig was 218yds off of backpack as a rest, measured with GPS.

Then I was introduced to J. D. Jones. he just started SSK industries. We talked at length about heavier calibers. My first was a 6.5 JDJ 14", match crown, and TSOB full length rail with scope mount. Nice deer weapon, worked great on desert Mulies. Talked to J D further about heavier, his opinion was it "isn't a hand-cannon unless it has at least the capacity of a .444 marlin". He built a hand-cannon for me, an 8mm JDJ, 14" heavy barrel, match crown TSOB full length rail, with scope mount. Put two bull elk and one cow down with it.

Used to use both 6.5 and 8mm to knock down 600 yd steel rams at Ben Avery before G&F took it over and screwed that up.

Well, there's your old dude, wildcat contribution. PS. SSK Industries still makes TC frames, sold through dealers only, and many barrels.

Yeah, except for the .223 they are wildcats, and even the .223 shoots much better with handloads than factory. I still enjoy them, and may take the 6.5 on a HAM Javelina hunt.