GOA increasing clout

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Half Cocked
ArizonaShooting.org Member

GOA increasing clout

Post by Half Cocked »

Article from UK tabloid, The Guardian.
A zealous gun rights group, even more uncompromising than the once formidable National Rifle Association, is emerging as a force in US politics with a mission to oppose efforts at gun control and ease further America’s already lax regulations on firearms.

Last year the Gun Owners of America (GOA) spent $3.3m on lobbying, a record sum for the hardline foe of gun control that now claims over 2 million members and activists, and has previously operated in the shadows of the larger NRA.

The GOA’s record lobbying spending in 2022 was spurred in part by a rise in its annual revenues, which more than tripled from $2.3m in 2016 to $8.7m in 2021, according to tax records.

The GOA is an adamant enemy of gun control measures of all stripes, and proudly calls itself the “no compromise” gun lobby. Its surge in lobbying spending reflects one way it has capitalized on the financial and legal problems of the once 5 million-member NRA in the hopes of expanding the GOA’s political clout, say gun experts.
The GOA’s lobbying efforts in 2022 were notable in another way: it was the only gun rights group to increase its spending in 2022 according to OpenSecrets, and surpassed the NRA’s lobbying expenditures of $2.6m last year, a drop of over $2m from the NRA’s 2021 total.

Through the first six months of 2023, the GOA spent $1.8m on lobbying, putting it on track to equal or surpass the $3.2m it spent last year.

As it has ramped up its influence activity in Washington, the GOA also touts its member chapters and allies including the California Gun Rights Foundation and other ones in Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas.
https://archive.ph/BdEa8

Jay Gee

Re: GOA increasing clout

Post by Jay Gee »

All the good the NRA has done over the years has been forgotten and tarnished due to their own actions. I quit a few years back and now donate to GOA and The Second Amendment Foundation. I do hope NRA finds their way back because of the good they've done in the past but until then my money goes elsewhere.
thom

Post by thom »

Happy the GOA is getting recognition. I met their West coast rep, Monte Brown, He congratulated me as a member of Arizona Citizens Defense League. He said that more states need organizations like the AZCDL. He didn't understand how we did so much with so few members and stated that all az gun owners should be members of AZCDL.
hrob

Post by hrob »

Thanks for starting this thread about GOA. I just became a member of GOA and AZCDL as a result!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

:dance: A zealous gun right group
AZSteve
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AZSteve »

hrob wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:49 am Thanks for starting this thread about GOA. I just became a member of GOA and AZCDL as a result!
Same here 👍🏻
thom

Post by thom »

Thank you both for joining. AZCDL wants and needs the voting power to go against the antigun, anti 2A crowd.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

thom wrote: November 25th, 2023, 9:26 am Thank you both for joining. AZCDL wants and needs the voting power to go against the antigun, anti 2A crowd.
I agree, however, it's not until we start "winning" that people want to start jumping on. Most of us have been on the freedom train for much longer and wonder what took so long for others to decide to.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
thom

Post by thom »

Hi Clyde.
This is not a point to argue.
I don't care if people jump on when we are" winning ". Like you have heard about gun shops not knowing about the AZCDL, most individuals don't either. I, for one, am glad when anyone joins and supports us.