Is this a scam?

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
DoctorB
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Is this a scam?

Post by DoctorB »

I listed a gun on Armslist and had someone contacted me asking to buy it.

The buyer has insisted that I obtain an online background check to complete the transaction. He stated that he completed a background check using bib.com, and asked me to do the same. He stated that after I complete the background check he would drive from Cottonwood to Scottsdale to meet me in person to pay cash for the gun and take possession.

Is this typical of some sort of scam you’ve heard about? I’ve never encountered anything of the sort before.

In any event, I will not proceed with this transaction. My policy is to refuse bills of sale with private sales. I’ve offered the buyer the opportunity to buy the guy through a friend’s FFL and he declined.

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Is this a scam?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Sounds and smells fishy to me .
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Sounds like just a digital version of someone demanding a bill of sale. As rude and demeaning as always, but more so.

I say screw the dimwit. Let him suffer for being a boot-licking punk.
Azgunlover69

Post by Azgunlover69 »

Trying to sell my truck I had numerous people wanting me to send them my vehicle history report using a website they would send me. I would tell them I'll send a carfax report and they said what they're asking is not absurd and I should comply. Ef them. Post and sell in person to people you can meet and have a ftf discussion with.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Sure sounds like a scam. You could to a P2P in any FFL store with background check.

Have a great,gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

There is no electronic back ground check. Though you can look up someone's criminal record, assuming they aren't a minor.

Vilkas
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

If you have to ask...

Obviously a scam.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

GunNut

Post by GunNut »

Total BS. Pound sand nimrod
samnev

Post by samnev »

I wouldn't touch that deal with an 11 foot pole.!!
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

An online background check?
Let me guess, you go to some sketchy web site, put in all your personal info, and a week or so later get all sorts of surprising bills and spam e mails.
DM47

Post by DM47 »

Gunslinger808 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 1:20 pm An online background check?
Let me guess, you go to some sketchy web site, put in all your personal info, and a week or so later get all sorts of surprising bills and spam e mails.
If that's all someone got from it they'd be lucky.

Online BGC? Scam. I bet if the OP offered to meet the "buyer" FTF at one of the shops in Cottonwoold the guy would either come up with more excuses or disappear.
C172 Heavy

Post by C172 Heavy »

Definitely a phising attempt to steal all of your PII. Plus now they'd know you own guns and where you live so that opens up a burglary opportunity. If he thinks the gun might be stolen then meet at a PD and have the popo run it. But me thinks this individual is a connoisseur of meth and has a lot of time on their scabby hands to do some good old identity theft.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Bib.com is for doing background checks like if you were going to get a job at a school or other place requiring a background check. It's an overkill ask for someone buying a gun.

One place that uses it.
https://ohio-county.school-background-c ... -Questions
and another
https://www.desotocountyschools.org/BIB
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

DoctorB wrote: October 17th, 2023, 12:28 pm I listed a gun on Armslist and had someone contacted me asking to buy it.

The buyer has insisted that I obtain an online background check to complete the transaction. He stated that he completed a background check using bib.com, and asked me to do the same. He stated that after I complete the background check he would drive from Cottonwood to Scottsdale to meet me in person to pay cash for the gun and take possession.

Is this typical of some sort of scam you’ve heard about? I’ve never encountered anything of the sort before.

In any event, I will not proceed with this transaction. My policy is to refuse bills of sale with private sales. I’ve offered the buyer the opportunity to buy the guy through a friend’s FFL and he declined.
I get being sketchy about buying guns from people that I don't know. I can tell you that on non-gun bigger ticket items from Craigslist etc. I demand a bill of sale with their driver license number on it - and if they refuse - I presume that the item is stolen and I walk.

I wish I could do the same with guns but I understand that there are other good reasons (with gun sales) why people don't want to give one - so I've bought a couple from people who had lots of sales and good reputations here - but I usually just buy from / sell to friends that I trust.

That said, I had a little slice of my response that said "I can see where the guy was coming from" until I got to your last sentence. If you are working in good faith to try to clear his concerns by running the transaction through an FFL - then I'd just look for the next buyer.

EDIT: I work in the staffing world - and we use a different employment verification / background check provider - but bib.com appears to be a legit background check service that does employment verification stuff as well as private party background checks.

If it were me - and I wanted to sell the gun badly enough I'd consider it on the following conditions:
1) He is willing to pay for it
2) The output that he receives is nothing more than my name and AZDL number with "no adverse findings" (none of your personal information goes to him)...

If he wants the full output of the report including your personal info - no way... not in a million years... If I had just posted it - or if I had a bunch of more interested parties - I'd just move on.