Man shoots through door at would-be burglars posing as maintenance workers

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Half Cocked
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Man shoots through door at would-be burglars posing as maintenance workers

Post by Half Cocked »

A man in Dallas, TX caused two fake maintenance workers to flee in a panic after firing multiple rounds through his door.

smithers599

Re: Man shoots through door at would-be burglars posing as maintenance workers

Post by smithers599 »

How'd you like to be the neighbor in the apartment across the hallway? I don't think those bullets stopped in the stucco wall.

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!
Razai

Post by Razai »

While never wise, I can’t blame the guy. There is a baby playpen in the front room. I wouldn’t allow anyone entry when my family would be at risk.
Half Cocked

Post by Half Cocked »

On Aug. 21, Dallas Police said 30-year-old Aaron Contreras was identified as the man in the video and was arrested by deputies with the Dallas County Sheriff's Office.

Contreras now faces multiple charges including aggravated assault, deadly conduct and attempted burglary of a habitation. He was taken to the Dallas County Jail where he remains held on bonds totaling $150,000. It's not clear if he's obtained an attorney to speak on his behalf.

Dallas Police have not publicly identified the second man who tried to kick in the apartment door and no other arrests have been announced.
Isabel Tejera, who lives across the hall from where the shooting took place and whose walls are now riddled with bullet holes, told Telemundo 39 reporter Pedro Guerrero she's moving out of her apartment.

She said the police told her the shooting happened about five minutes after she left her apartment and when she returned home she found police outside and bullet holes in her walls.

"I thank God that my children were not at home at that moment," Tejera told Telemundo 39 in Spanish. "When I entered the apartment I found everything unrecognizable."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/resid ... y/3323400/
samnev

Post by samnev »

smithers599 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:07 am How'd you like to be the neighbor in the apartment across the hallway? I don't think those bullets stopped in the stucco wall.

Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!
It's great he scared the burgers away but I sure want to be the neighbor across the hallway. :roll:
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Pretty irresponsible, open the door then start firing. No one can honestly say that what he did was o.k. He stood the chance of being hauled away for the rest of his life.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Wow - pretty much a what not to do, luckily no one was injured or killed.
Creeker
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Creeker »

SupportTheSecond wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:15 am Pretty irresponsible, open the door then start firing. No one can honestly say that what he did was o.k. He stood the chance of being hauled away for the rest of his life.
G’day sir, I see you are armed and trying to kick in my front door. I can see you in my camera but you can’t see me. My advantage over you is clearly irresponsible. Let’s say we open this door and have a proper duel in my living room.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Hey, he was just following Biden's advice.
Biden Advises Shooting Shotgun Through Door

Vice President Joe Biden told Field & Stream magazine in an interview published Monday, "[if] you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/20 ... rough-door
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Creeker wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:59 am
SupportTheSecond wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:15 am Pretty irresponsible, open the door then start firing. No one can honestly say that what he did was o.k. He stood the chance of being hauled away for the rest of his life.
G’day sir, I see you are armed and trying to kick in my front door. I can see you in my camera but you can’t see me. My advantage over you is clearly irresponsible. Let’s say we open this door and have a proper duel in my living room.
I am glad that your not my neighbor.
Creeker

Post by Creeker »

That makes two of us.

Opening the door doesn’t do anything to change his backdrop. He has more of a view of his surroundings through that camera than he would through an open door. If you live in a cube made of chicken wire and foam surrounded by other cubes made of chicken wire and foam it’s not going to be a good day for anyone if a gunfight breaks out.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

SupportTheSecond wrote: August 27th, 2023, 3:51 pm
Creeker wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:59 am
I am glad that you're not my neighbor.
How do you know he's not? :mrgreen:
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I try to look at these things through a "what would hope I would I do" lens. I guess I can say the following:

1 ) I can tell you that I hope I would not blindly mag-dump wildly through the door.
2 ) I can say that once he started kicking the door - I'd be yelling that he was going to get shot if he comes through the door... I don't think that you lose much tactical advantage by doing this - and you create a pretty good opportunity for the dude to bug out without you having to get into a gunfight.
3) I can say that if I have time, I'm calling 911 - or yelling at the other dude in the house to call 911... and once that call is placed they are going to keep hearing me yell at the scumbag that I'm armed and that they are going to get shot if before they get to me.
4) I can't say that I'd never shoot through the door - if I see the gun on the ring video and the door starts to yield - I'm probably going to try to take whatever cover I can - and I might take a shot through the door - but I'm really having a hard time with that given what I know is behind him. At my place (semi rural) where I know that there is not much alive, and a block wall or two, for about 100 yards before the next occupied residence... that might be a more viable option. I think the other option, would be to get to a place off-line from the door where I have as much cover and concealment as possible, and get a good sight picture at mid-chest where I expect him to come through the door - and if he does make it through the door - shots break as he enters the sight picture. The reality is that your house is mostly "concealment" not "cover." Your walls are not going to do much to stop a bullet.

I honestly think that if you are in that situation, the biggest advantage you can give yourself (assuming that you don't have a safe room, or some other specific prep) is to maximize having "the drop" on the guy. You know where he is coming through the door - you can see him kicking the door - see the door moving. If it's me in that house - and you ignore me telling you that you are getting shot if you come through that door - you are going to eat a rifle round in the chest right as the door breaks open. The odds of you acquiring me as a target when you don't know where I am - before I can press the trigger on my pre-selected aim-point in the middle of the door frame, are pretty thin - and these are odds that I'll take over the odds of me killing the kids in the apartment next door by blindly winging rounds through my door.

At the end of the day - I'd imagine that at least a pretty good portion of the time - the dude is going to bail when you start yelling from inside the house that they are about to get shot - and no matter how much folks want to be John Rambo - it is a better outcome than winging a bunch of shots into the neighbor's place.

Again - this is what I would HOPE I'd do - given the time to think about it... who knows what would actually happen if I were in the other guy's shoes.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

IMG_9159.jpg
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/arizo ... er-window/