Brass collector murdered @ C G range.

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
87jeep
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Brass collector murdered @ C G range.

Post by 87jeep »

Casa Grande Police Department
9h ·
* OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE *
Police Investigate Homicide - Arrests Made
Casa Grande, AZ – The Casa Grande Police Department has arrested 21-year-old Roberto Barrera and 20-year-old Victor Leal, both of Casa Grande, in connection with the March 11th murder of 30-year-old Arizona City resident Julian Reynolds. Both Barrera and Leal were taken into custody without incident and booked into the Pinal County Adult Detention Center. Charges of First-Degree Murder, Third Degree Burglary, and Tampering with Evidence are being submitted for both subjects to the Pinal County Attorney’s Office for review.
On March 11, 2023, at approximately 4:38 a.m., the Casa Grande Police Department received a 911 call reporting a shooting on Isom Road near the Elzy Pearson Shooting Range in Casa Grande. Patrol Officers arrived and discovered a deceased male on Isom Road, with what appeared to be multiple gunshot wounds to his body. This victim was eventually identified as Julian Reynolds.
Officers located a witness to the incident and immediately began developing leads. Detectives determined Roberto Barrera, Victor Leal, and a 16-year-old friend, were driving in the area and ran out of gas. They called another friend to bring them gas and as they waited, Barrera and Leal burglarized a vehicle they found. That vehicle belonged to Julian Reynolds, who was in the area of the range, collecting brass. Julian is known to frequent the area to collect brass casings. Julian confronted Barrera and Leal, resulting in the shooting death of Julian. The 16-year-old ran away from the scene. Barrera and Leal fled the scene in their vehicle, after taking some of the victim’s property.
Detectives began identifying known locations where Barrera and Leal lived and frequented. Both were located and taken into custody. Evidence of the crime, including the murder weapon and the victim’s property, were all located and directly linked to the suspects. CGPD K9 Blitz was utilized to search for the murder weapon, which he discovered in the desert near the original crime scene.
A fourth subject, a 16-year-old juvenile who was discovered to have assisted in hiding evidence, will also have charges of Tampering with Evidence submitted to the Pinal County Attorney’s Office. The juvenile friend that fled the original crime scene on foot was located, interviewed, and released to his parents with no charges at this time.

Pro2a

Re: Brass collector murdered @ C G range.

Post by Pro2a »

AWWWW DAMMIT, I was just coming to post this...
I took a Tom Givens class at the police range just north of there.
That range is a pretty nice free FCFS setup
Here's some pics

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/03/12/two ... gun-range/
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I shoot at CG range two or three times a year. This appears not to be a case of a guy out shooting at the range who got waylaid. The call came in at 0440H, which means the shooting must have happened at Oh-dark-thirty, when the range was closed.

But as for lessons for the rest of us, if you are going to confront three people who are burglarizing your car, you might want to have a gun in your hands, and you might want to issue your challenge from behind cover. (Although there is not a lot of cover out there.)

We don't know if the decedent even had a gun. He may have relied on his moral authority, i.e., "Hey you guys, get away from my car." You can get a lot more with moral authority and a gun than you can with moral authority alone.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

There are some desert shooting spots right next to the range and people go out there to scrounge brass. We used to go out there late at night and collect brass left by CG garbage humans
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

Have I ever mentioned how much of a reprobate shithole CG is?
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Kingjoey wrote: March 13th, 2023, 10:15 am Have I ever mentioned how much of a reprobate shithole CG is?
It looks so beautiful from the freeway though with its abandoned strip mall.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

I'm surprised that brass scrounging d-bag at Queen Valley hasn't taken the room temperature challenge yet.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Hey, those guys are cleaning up the discarded brass left to litter the desert by slob shooters, so they are doing a public service, right?
thom

Post by thom »

smithers599 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:18 am Hey, those guys are cleaning up the discarded brass left to litter the desert by slob shooters, so they are doing a public service, right?
That sounds like the truth to me.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

smithers599 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:18 am Hey, those guys are cleaning up the discarded brass left to litter the desert by slob shooters, so they are doing a public service, right?
Yes, but you apparently haven't had a run-in with the Queen Valley guy.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Curious, does the "Queen Valley guy" look balding, 60-ish, with a gut and glasses?
Uses one of these?
https://www.brownells.com/gear/range-ge ... retriever/
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I used to shoot and take the brass at table mesa. The 4 mexicans in the truck with a 5th one coming up the hill behind me pretty much ended that. They thought when they pulled in front of my target and started talking to me they had me. I had already seen the guy exit the truck and I used their dark tinted windows as a mirror. Not going to go into it but they left very quickly for some reason in their big black chevy on 24 inch rims. The guy coming up the hill decided it was best to run down the hill. They backed down the hill and damn near rolled over when they hit a rock in reverse. Desert is a dangerous place and I am surprised the criminals haven't sniped people from the hill location and then went and collected their stuff. A MCSO guy said people may have been killed out in the desert for guns and a BLM armed ranger has said the same thing, I was usually alone when out there. I have had other issues with people out there.

After that I just bought brass off the alcoholic and meth head team who picked it up out there until they moved.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

pneuby wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:38 am Curious, does the "Queen Valley guy" look balding, 60-ish, with a gut and glasses?
Uses one of these?
https://www.brownells.com/gear/range-ge ... retriever/
I use one similar to that and fit the description but have never shot in Queen Valley. Maybe I should as I love when one of them barks in my face they own the brass and I bark I bark back.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I took the father in law out to the desert about a month ago and could not believe the number of shot shells at table mesa. Not a single piece of brass but it looked like they used shot shells in place of decorative rock to landscape the desert.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

338lapua wrote: March 14th, 2023, 12:55 pm I used to shoot and take the brass at table mesa. The 4 mexicans in the truck with a 5th one coming up the hill behind me pretty much ended that. They thought when they pulled in front of my target and started talking to me they had me. I had already seen the guy exit the truck and I used their dark tinted windows as a mirror. Not going to go into it but they left very quickly for some reason in their big black chevy on 24 inch rims. The guy coming up the hill decided it was best to run down the hill. They backed down the hill and damn near rolled over when they hit a rock in reverse. Desert is a dangerous place and I am surprised the criminals haven't sniped people from the hill location and then went and collected their stuff. A MCSO guy said people may have been killed out in the desert for guns and a BLM armed ranger has said the same thing, I was usually alone when out there. I have had other issues with people out there.

After that I just bought brass off the alcoholic and meth head team who picked it up out there until they moved.
Had a similar experience shooting out in the desert years ago. Had eight hoodrats try to bumrush us but I saw it coming and had a drum full of party favors ready to distribute. Fifteen seconds, 66 rounds, and some soiled underwear later they couldn't drive quick enough to get out of there 🤬