ATF at Your door

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Joe_Blacke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: ATF at Your door

Post by Joe_Blacke »

cool arrow wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 1:20 pm so I have a question on this.

I bought some lowers, filled out the 4473 (as required), and produced my CCW.

Since I have a CCW, does the FFL still submit the form for multiple purchase? He didn't have to phone in my background check, so I wonder if he is required to send the form, or if it is optional.
The form is only filled out for multiple handgun purchases within 5 days. That can be two guns or more purchased at one time, or multiple sales over 5 days.

The form is filled out by the FFL using info from the 4473. The key is did the FFl identify your lowers as a handgun? I couldn’t see any ATF requirement on stripped receivers qualifying as a handgun as technically they could be either a rifle or handgun.

Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

Joe_Blacke wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 3:44 pm
cool arrow wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 1:20 pm so I have a question on this.

I bought some lowers, filled out the 4473 (as required), and produced my CCW.

Since I have a CCW, does the FFL still submit the form for multiple purchase? He didn't have to phone in my background check, so I wonder if he is required to send the form, or if it is optional.
The form is only filled out for multiple handgun purchases within 5 days. That can be two guns or more purchased at one time, or multiple sales over 5 days.

The form is filled out by the FFL using info from the 4473. The key is did the FFl identify your lowers as a handgun? I couldn’t see any ATF requirement on stripped receivers qualifying as a handgun as technically they could be either a rifle or handgun.
Or, in the southwest, multiple sales of semi-auto rifles of 22 cal or greater, including 5.56

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/reporting- ... arms-sales
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

My 2 cents...
1) If you've committed no crime the EASIEST path is probably to comply, let them look at what they want to look at, and be done with it.

2) If you've committed no crime the BEST LONG TERM path (for the country) is probably to very politely decline to provide anything that you are not required to provide in / by a warrant. If it were me a the door (and I had already answered the door) I'd probably say something like:
"gents - I appreciate that you have a job to do. That said - I'm someone who cares very much about individual liberty and I worry about its erosion in our country. Given that I worry about the loss of freedom, I'm going to assert my rights under the 4th amendment. If you have a warrant to enter my home I'll absolutely comply with that warrant - but if not I hope you can respect the fact that I'm asserting those rights. I hope you guys can understand why I think this is important - no disrespect intended."

3) The WORST path to take is to be an @$$#0!3 towards the ATF guys. Odds are they are just doing their job and being ugly towards them is not going to do anything to advance your cause. In fact, it creates a layer of incentive for them to look at you more carefully (even if it is a bad reason).

Again - just my 2 cents.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

B948E391-8EC7-4F84-A3ED-23A6A8CB0151.jpeg