Film, “Sniper-The White Raven”

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
That Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Film, “Sniper-The White Raven”

Post by That Guy »

OK, this film isn’t going to win a Palme d’Or at Cannes but it you’re a military weapons enthusiast it is nevertheless very entertaining. Reminiscent of “The Outlaw Josey Wales”, the plot kicks off with Russian soldiers in 2014 murdering the hero’s wife, assaulting him, and burning their home in Eastern Ukraine. The hero renounces his pacifist ideology and becomes a sniper in the Ukrainian Army. From a military weapons perspective its pretty good and one of the very few films featuring real Russian SVD’s (and no, the Iraqi sniper in “American Sniper” didn’t use a Russian SVD and if you look closely you can see the US import marks on the left side of the NDM-86) and the rarely seen on the screen APS Stechkin machine pistol (albeit only fired in semi-auto). $5.99 on Pay Per View.

Suck My Glock

Re: Film, “Sniper-The White Raven”

Post by Suck My Glock »

Thanks for the tip. I'm watching that tonite.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

I thought this was good. The camera crew followed a woman sniper around, some time after 2014 but before the invasion, possibly in the 2019 timeframe. Some comments say she was in Mariupol but no indication of her current status. Nothing glamorous. "either we bury them or they'll bury us."

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

So I watched it.

Not too bad.

I find it amazing that they could film a movie while nearly the entire nation was under attack, get it edited, promoted and distributed so quickly. But in fact, that it was a bit rushed shows thru if you nit pick. The premise and plot are that this guy is motivated by tragedy in the 2014 invasion to become a sniper to enact revenge. While the script never specifies it with dialog of the characters, he remains in the Army for 6 years until the latest war. They took care with the props and weapons to indicate that, even though the script just glosses over any time frame and 6 years seems to go by like Zip-Zap-Bang. He starts out with nothing but a simple scoped SKS, but later as the movie progresses he trades out to Dragunov, then an AR-10, and finally a Savage M110 BA, which current uniforms and all clearly shows this is all going on currently.

And of course it obviously has some propaganda lines written in. Stuff like "you bastards will pay for Crimea" right before lighting them up. But its really no different than any of the U.S. movies made during WW2 that portrayed the conflict. Heck, probably not even that heavy-handed.

In short,...it didn't suck.