Win from SCOTUS

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
kenpoprofessor
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Win from SCOTUS

Post by kenpoprofessor »

The constitutional right to bear arms in public for selfdefense is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.” McDonald, 561 U. S., at 780 (plurality opinion). We know of no other constitutional right that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need. That is not how the First Amendment works when it comes to unpopular speech or the free exercise of religion. It is not how the Sixth Amendment works when it comes to a defendant’s right to confront the witnesses against him. And it is not how the Second Amendment works when it comes to public carry for selfdefense.

New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment in that it prevents law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their right to keep and bear arms. We therefore reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

It is so ordered.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/supreme ... uYP4SW0w5E

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde

knockonit

Re: Win from SCOTUS

Post by knockonit »

was just reading this, good news for some states and all of America as a whole. see how long it takes for the idgits of freedom attempt a coup
thom

Post by thom »

Maybe just maybe, the SCOTUS understands that the U.S. doesn't need a CCW to cross state lines either.
Doc

Post by Doc »

thom wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:16 am Maybe just maybe, the SCOTUS understands that the U.S. doesn't need a CCW to cross state lines either.
I think it’s called “don’t ask don’t tell”
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Absolutely a step in the right direction.

The proper long-term end point is national constitutional-carry. I mean - given that the Constitution, as amended, explicitly guarantees the right to carry, I'd think that any law restricting such a right should be held unconstitutional.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Doc wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:44 am
thom wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:16 am Maybe just maybe, the SCOTUS understands that the U.S. doesn't need a CCW to cross state lines either.
Actually Doc, sadly it's "don't tell don't get caught"
samnev

Post by samnev »

BigNate wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:20 am Absolutely a step in the right direction.

The proper long-term end point is national constitutional-carry. I mean - given that the Constitution, as amended, explicitly guarantees the right to carry, I'd think that any law restricting such a right should be held unconstitutional.
With SCOUTUS ruling I can see other Woken state laws being struck down, :D
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

samnev wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:28 am
BigNate wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:20 am Absolutely a step in the right direction.

With SCOUTUS ruling I can see other Woken state laws being struck down, :D
One can hope... I can already hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the coasts...
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

What is interesting to me is that I am seeing language in the text of the rendering (which I am reading) that specifically attacks the logic Scalia used in HELLER to defend the continuation of felon prohibition. He stated in HELLER that the government has a "compelling interest" in depriving felons of their 2nd Amendment rights even after all other rights are restored. Basically endorsing the "interest balancing" rationale he rips apart Breyer for using.

Yet in this rendering, Justice Thomas eviscerates the "interest balancing" rationale even further than Scalia did. And by doing so, lays the ground work for arguing against the NFA as well as felon prohibition.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Hopefully this new case will have a chilling effect on the new proposed laws. If someone cares enough to look for it, the new case probably establishes how these proposed laws will not stand.
Doc

Post by Doc »

delta6 wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:21 am
Doc wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 8:44 am
Actually Doc, sadly it's "don't tell don't get caught"
Ya got me.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Clyde
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Interesting.. didn't think you could possible bring more "illegal" guns to the streets of NY?

Who knew???
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

And here, the NRA is claiming a victory, when they didn't even argue the case. Muther Phuckers, they were probably trying to sabotage it like the other cases.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2022062 ... pa-v-bruen

Clyde
Half Cocked

Post by Half Cocked »

Here is an initial assessment of this Supreme Court ruling by Anthony Miranda, an attorney in Commiefornia.