Tennessee Lowering Age for Handgun Purchase

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
oldslurrydog1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Tennessee Lowering Age for Handgun Purchase

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

Tenring

Re: Tennessee Lowering Age for Handgun Purchase

Post by Tenring »

As it should be.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

It has nothing to do with the purchase of a handgun. The bill would allow a person 18 years of age to obtain a concealed carry permit.

The age requirement to purchase a handgun from an FFL is a federal law; state law cannot supersede federal law.

A person 18 years old can already purchase a handgun in a private transaction here in AZ, and open carry…just not conceal legally.
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

HB 1735 lowers the age to 18 to carry a handgun openly or concealed in Tennessee.
I just checked out the Tennessee laws. One gun law that did not change in Tennessee. The permitless handgun carry law pertains to law abiding citizens who have been able to legally purchase a gun. The Feds say that you have to be 21 to legally purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer. This sounds like a catch 22 to me.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Az desert rat 1 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 6:14 pm HB 1735 lowers the age to 18 to carry a handgun openly or concealed in Tennessee.
I just checked out the Tennessee laws. One gun law that did not change in Tennessee. The permitless handgun carry law pertains to law abiding citizens who have been able to legally purchase a gun. The Feds say that you have to be 21 to legally purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer. This sounds like a catch 22 to me.

The 18yo can purchase a handgun via private transaction, no FFL needed, correct?

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

I stand corrected. I just checked the handgun purchase age in Tennessee. Like in Az. an 18yo can, through a private sell, purchase a handgun. Yes, you are correct.