Book review: "A Collector's Guide to the Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Rifle"

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Slater
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Book review: "A Collector's Guide to the Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Rifle"

Post by Slater »

For anyone interested in the history of the Colt SP-1, this book is worth a look. Covers components, serial number ranges, accessories, etc. Written and published by a couple Phoenix-area collectors. At $42 shipped, it's not exactly cheap but contains a decent amount of information. I think it's available on Gunbroker, but I bought my copy direct from the authors. Recommended for Colt fans.

Slater

Re: Book review: "A Collector's Guide to the Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Rifle"

Post by Slater »

The book has some old advertisements included. The first commercially available AR-15's had an MSRP of $189.50 in 1964. Using the CPI inflation calculator, $189.50 in February 1964 would translate to $1739.94 in February 2022.
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

They were even expensive in the 90's compared to $199 MAK-90's. Too bad it doesn't go into detail of variants such as the M231 port gun and the DOE R0633
Slater

Post by Slater »

In the mid-1980's, SP-1's averaged (IIRC) around $600 depending on your location. Heck, even Mongomery Ward's and sporting goods stores in malls sold them. Good times.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

In the mid 1980's our shop sold full auto AR-15 / M-16 for under a grand..
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

$189 bucks in 1964 was a ton of money! Might have been a good investment? Tried to tell my Dad when I was six that would be a good buy :whistle:
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

underw0rld wrote: April 9th, 2022, 6:52 pm They were even expensive in the 90's compared to $199 MAK-90's. Too bad it doesn't go into detail of variants such as the M231 port gun and the DOE R0633
Read the title. The book is about AR-15 SP1 Sporters! Ever heard of a book called “The Black Rifle”?
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Slater wrote: April 9th, 2022, 6:56 pm In the mid-1980's, SP-1's averaged (IIRC) around $600 depending on your location. Heck, even Mongomery Ward's and sporting goods stores in malls sold them. Good times.
From 1974 to 1980 in Phoenix MSRP on AR-15’s in Phoenix $299.99 (and for a long time that’s what “The Jewel Box” sold Devine, Texas M1A’s at as well). When I got my first AR-15 in Phoenix back in 1974 there were only four gunshops in the Valley who actually had them on a wall or in a rack: The Jewel Box, Bonds Gun Shop, Mandall’s (but who could afford Marty’s prices), and The Camelback Gun Shop. Why? Cuz’ they just weren’t that popular. One reason is that ammo was so damned expensive. Remington or Federal SP or HP was $4.00 a box for 20 rounds. To put that in perspective minimum wage was $1.60 and hour. When you attended the ONLY gun show in Phoenix back then at Gerard High School (near the old Thomas Mall) ONE guy at ONE table would have ONE for sale (Tom Loftus) I’d go out every Saturday to BLACK CANYON SHOOTING RANGE and for years I’d literally be the only guy out there with an AR-15. And the rangemasters absolutely loathed the sight of it.