Federal 30SC anyone?

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
xerts1911
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Federal 30SC anyone?

Post by xerts1911 »

kenpoprofessor

Re: Federal 30SC anyone?

Post by kenpoprofessor »

xerts1911 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 5:18 pm https://www.federalpremium.com/30superc ... ForDefense
I just don’t know 🤔
Was just reading up on this round. It looks like a chopped down version of the .30 carbine round.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

All it does is duplicate 7.62x25 performance in a straight-wall case rather than bottle-neck. Folks have tried to make that round as effective as 9mm, but just can't seem to do so. And even if they could, it would still have all the recoil and even more muzzle blast. You might gain a round or two in the magazines, but that's the only possible benefit I see that this would provide.

Then again, 30 years ago I thought the 9x23Win. was the cat's meow and would defeat the .357SIG in the marketplace because it duplicated its performance but fit more rounds in the magazine,...and I was mysteriously wrong. (People are stupid.)
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

Suck My Glock wrote: January 11th, 2022, 8:10 pm All it does is duplicate 7.62x25 performance in a straight-wall case rather than bottle-neck. Folks have tried to make that round as effective as 9mm, but just can't seem to do so. And even if they could, it would still have all the recoil and even more muzzle blast. You might gain a round or two in the magazines, but that's the only possible benefit I see that this would provide.

Then again, 30 years ago I thought the 9x23Win. was the cat's meow and would defeat the .357SIG in the marketplace because it duplicated its performance but fit more rounds in the magazine,...and I was mysteriously wrong. (People are stupid.)
It doesn’t even approach the performance of a 7.62X25 much less duplicate it. The average MV of a 7.62X25 is almost 1600 fps with an 86 grain bullet and almost 500 FP of energy and those ballistics are fairly mediocre because civilian companies won’t load the round to what ComBloc nations did. This nonsensical “.30 Super Carry” is really nothing much more than a .32 ACP Magnum, like the .38 Special is to the .357 Magnum. But since the .32 ACP has a rep as wimpy round they decided repackage it in a new and utterly useless round. Unbelievably even Nighthawk is offered a pistol in this caliber. Just another toy that gun shop commandos will breathlessly wait for. I can’t wait for the AR pistol chambered in this……NOT.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Screw that. What a worthless cartridge!
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

The smaller the cartridge, the more rounds you can fit into the magazine, which is good, because the smaller the cartridge, the more rounds you are going to need. See how perfectly that works out? It's like it's God's plan or something!
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Another solution in search of a problem. Unfortunately, the gun industry is fed by the wallets of stupid people who will always think they need the latest offerings from companies with a slick marketing campaign.
Glock_Holiday

Post by Glock_Holiday »

xerts1911 wrote: January 11th, 2022, 5:18 pm https://www.federalpremium.com/30superc ... ForDefense
I just don’t know 🤔
I like it in theory. It was smart to get a couple well known manufacturers producing pistols for it. I think it will come down to whether Glock produces a pistol for it as to how successful it is. Like it or not Glock is the benchmark for CCW firearms. If they decide not to produce a pistol chambered for it, it will likely stay a boutique round.

J
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Glock_Holiday wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:20 am

I like it in theory. It was smart to get a couple well known manufacturers producing pistols for it. I think it will come down to whether Glock produces a pistol for it as to how successful it is. Like it or not Glock is the benchmark for CCW firearms. If they decide not to produce a pistol chambered for it, it will likely stay a boutique round.

J
Hmm, that's not exactly true. If it were, the .45 GAP would be standard ammo for plinking. They also haven't got anything in micro compact with ultra round capacity. They're laggin', big time, and I'm a Glockaholic myself :D .

Clyde
Glock_Holiday

Post by Glock_Holiday »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 14th, 2022, 12:44 pm
Glock_Holiday wrote: January 14th, 2022, 6:20 am

J
Hmm, that's not exactly true. If it were, the .45 GAP would be standard ammo for plinking. They also haven't got anything in micro compact with ultra round capacity. They're laggin', big time, and I'm a Glockaholic myself :D .

Clyde
I think the 45GAP kinda proves my point. A useless round that never needed to exist and major ammo and firearms manufacturers supported it in their product lines. You even saw law enforcement agencies switching their whole departments over to it at one time. Eventually the market did what the market does and it is on life support at best at this point. But, it does illustrate the influence a company like Glock has in the market.

J
Az desert rat 1

Post by Az desert rat 1 »

I watched a clip about this round last week. Not impressed with it. I'll stick with my 9mm hp.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Hmmm......no
A slightly polished 7.65 French is all it is by the looks of it.

80~grains @ ~1,150 fps

30 sc
~100gr @ ~1250 fps
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I don't see any reason for it - but I won't complain about variety and choice.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Paul Harrell on the 30 SC, meh 😕
Basher

Post by Basher »

xerts1191 wrote: April 10th, 2022, 9:10 pm
Paul Harrell on the 30 SC, meh 😕
Maybe it’s just me, but frumpy ol’ Uncle Paul is one of the last people I’m taking advice from (that’s a long list, but he’s still on it)…

I’ll let this one play out awhile and see what actual ballistic testing shows for whatever loads ultimately get developed for it. It looks like it’ll beat a .32ACP easily, so for a pocket pistol it may be worth it. I find the .380 to be a bit weak for my tastes so the G42 is out, and the capacity of the G43 is too low. Make it an 8-9rnd .30SC (if it performs well) and I could be a buyer. I have no interest in using aftermarket mags like those from Shield, so if I can get a reliable 8-9rnds from factory mags in a G43 size pistol… 👌😊 And if I can get a solid 12+1 in my G48 with acceptable ballistics from an HST-type load, I’ll be delighted. But that’s just me. For the vast majority of my EDC needs though, I’ll stick with 9mm. Time will reveal all.