[TTAG] The Best (and Worst) Guns to Collect for Investment

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
samnev
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: [TTAG] The Best (and Worst) Guns to Collect for Investment

Post by samnev »

Excellent article especially the part that the author list best guns to buy for investment.

Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

The problem with buying guns as an investment is that using said guns for the purpose they are actually designed for will often greatly lower their value.

Often what turns a gun into an investment is beyond the control of the buyer. Such as the 86 Ban on full-auto weapons that turned $150 HK full-auto sears into $15K+ ones. That's just for the sear not the rifle itself.

That article is not really accurate either as some supposedly non-worthwhile guns are indeed increasing in value. For example a Saiga AK47 bought for $200 when first imported is now selling for over $1K (some even up to $2K) on the secondary market. The same goes for Chinese versions of the AK that again sell for close to $2K. The author is confusing the current crop of low cost offerings (especially American built ones) with versions that people prefer and are willing to pay a premium to acquire.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I bought a Perazzi Competition I in 1970 for $700.00 and the last time I took it to the range got 2 different offers of $3,500.00.

That's actually a pretty poor increase in value and I wouldn't really call it an investment, just something that holds its value.

An investment would have gone up from $700.00 to $25,000.00 or so in that period of time.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

While I didn't buy it as an investment, the Colt Kodiak I paid $500 for back in the day and then sold for $1700 later went on to be worth $8K the last time I checked.

The driving force behind the increase in value was that Colt stopped making double action revolvers and some people just HAD to have only a Colt. Had they not ceased production the pistol would have remained a $400ish price range used revolver.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The fastest money I ever made on a gun was a S&W Model 29 in 1975. Because of the movie "Dirty Harry" every collector had to have one so in spite of the fact that the MSRP was $200.00, they were selling for around $450.00 or so. Montgomery Ward in Anchorage had a raffle, $1.00/ticket for the chance to buy one for $200.00.

I won, took it home and wondered what to do with it. That night at work at Western Airlines, a fellow employee who was a collector offered me $200.00 plus a Super Blackhawk cut down to 4-5/8" with 5 rounds through it plus a box of ammo plus dinner at the best place in town for me and the wife.

So I flipped that puppy and ended up with my money back, a free Ruger, ammo and dinner in one day.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Wish I would never have sold my Colt Pythons, or Anacondas, or Cobras ... oh my